Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket heaters

I justed wanted to know, how well the classic lighter benzine-driven pocket ovens could work. So, I simply bought a cheap 15 bucks-one in a streetstore for trying.

Short story:
Back home, I fueled it, attached the burner head, waited 5 minutes (it standing upright), fired it 10 seconds (with butane lighter) and it's just running.

Temp came fast, 15 minutes to maximum heat. Pouch necessary!

Benzine emissions soft.

Attachments

• IMGP9682.JPG
    IMGP9682.JPG
    200 KB · Views: 45
  • IMGP9683.JPG
    IMGP9683.JPG
    255.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMGP7615.JPG
    IMGP7615.JPG
    269.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMGP7616.JPG
    IMGP7616.JPG
    267 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
The negative thing about the benzine driven warmers is, that in Germany, the burner head replacements are meanwhile costing way more, so many people seemingly don't want to support the catalytic system, anymore.

After first full "burning session":

Attachments

• IMGP7617.JPG
    IMGP7617.JPG
    268.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMGP7618.JPG
    IMGP7618.JPG
    241.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMGP7619.JPG
    IMGP7619.JPG
    247.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMGP7620.JPG
    IMGP7620.JPG
    244.8 KB · Views: 38
Second session, cheap Atomic lighter benzine, right now running without any problem.

Again maximum heat after 15 minutes, from now 12:00 on.

PS:
First session was still hot 3:47 AM

Cuvier

One of the Regulars
On that burn. Is that on one fill? If so that's rather amazing. I was hesitant to get one because I didn't know how long they burned but I think I'll invest in one or two.

On that burn. Is that on one fill? If so that's rather amazing. I was hesitant to get one because I didn't know how long they burned but I think I'll invest in one or two.

Yes, one full fill, 20 ml. But the majority of time in my home. So it doesn't really count, I guess!

But electronic handwarmer is so much more convenient! And you don't waste so much lighter benzine.

Last edited:

Cuvier

One of the Regulars
I've tried a few different electric hand warmers and I always had issues with the batteries. That's why I was considering a Zippo hand warmer. I'm impressed with the run time.

I've tried a few different electric hand warmers and I always had issues with the batteries. That's why I was considering a Zippo hand warmer. I'm impressed with the run time.

I got two Zippo Heatbank 6 (silver-grey and turquoise), actually can't complain. But they are still new. Runtime fine on level 1, don't need level 2 and 3.
What I especially like on them, is the handiness.

Edward

Bartender
Years since I saw one of these devices in use. Sort of thing that I suppose isn't so common now with most of us spending more time indoors and central heating being a norm. (I remember my parents installing central heating in our then house in 1980; by the time radiators were being installed in the bedrooms in my 50s-built flat here in London (the original central heating system covered only hall, kitchen and reception room), it was highly unusual to see anywhere without central heating, particularly offices - where, of course, there is a legal minimum temperature in which people can be expected to work in the UK.)

A few Winters ago the wife discovered some sort of gel pouch with crystals or something inside them. manipulate the crystals and they give off a surprising amount of heat, good as any other device I've seen, for several hours. Once they cool, they can be 'recharged' simply by putting them I hot water for a few minutes. I don't know the science, but they're the most convenient option I ever encountered, and generally very cheaply available. Need to be kept away from dogs, small children, and anyone else likely to chew on them, of course.

@Edward

Yeah, I saw, that they got these one-way thermo pads (oxidation) and the reusable warming pillows (as you described) in the outdoor stores.

But would be interesting, how long the reusables could live. The ones here are described as ""15 minutes, covered in a cloth, in boiling water to recharge"".

But even these twin-packs are costing only 4,95 EUR, giving 90 minutes heat each one. But the longevity??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner