Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocketwatches

dnjan

One Too Many
Yeah, this is definitely proof I need to go back and buy it :p Hope it's still there!
So was it still there?

If you don't have someone up there to do the repair, I can highly recommend Pauls Watch and Clock Repair. He is in California, but even with shipping you will probably be ahead cost-wise.
Mail it down the next time you are on this side of the border. If you need an address in the U.S. to have it returned to, PM me and I'm sure we could arrange something.

So was it still there?

If you don't have someone up there to do the repair, I can highly recommend Pauls Watch and Clock Repair. He is in California, but even with shipping you will probably be ahead cost-wise.
Mail it down the next time you are on this side of the border. If you need an address in the U.S. to have it returned to, PM me and I'm sure we could arrange something.

Paul will certainly make it like new again. :D

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Sorry gents, no pics at this time.

Dnjan - My wife's aunt lives in Lynden, WA just across the line, so we use her place as a US address.

I may not be able to buy the watch due to financial constraints just now, but we'll see. I'm going down there again next week.

Don Dahlberg

Familiar Face
$45 for a 17 jewel Elgin pocket watch is close to the price we pay for parts watches, movements used for spare parts. So it sounds like it is a good deal. If there is no brass showing on the case and the dial is in good shape, then it is a real deal. The problem you have described may be as simple as it being in need of a cleaning. However, it could be much more with problems with the winding mechanism.

If you are looking for someone in Canada to do a proper overhaul, I would recommend Doug Sinclair

Tower Watch & Clock
Phone: (403) 253-8098
doug.sinclair@shaw.ca

He is located in Calgary. He is an active participant in the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors (NAWCC) and has written many excellent articles in our Bulletin on watch repair. His articles show he does it right. He may also be able to recommend someone good closer to you. Expect to pay well in excess of $100 for a proper overhaul, given that there are problems with the watch. Like vintage cars, vintage watches are more expensive to maintain than to purchase.

Don Dahlberg
NAWCC Library and Research Center volunteer
www.nawcc.org

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Don,

I tried to contact Doug a few times about my grandpa's watch, but I don't get much response. I wonder if there isn't something wrong with his email. It's a bit discouraging as I haven't really gotten a straight answer on what he thinks it might cost to fix.

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
He will not be able to pin down a value until he can see what is up with the watch. My first thought was the escapement had a problem and Don's first thought was the winding mechanism. That shows that until he can look at it he can't really tell you much.

I would try a quick call to him. A good watchmaker will be very busy so don't be surprised if things go a bit slow with contact and even the repair. It will be worth the wait. It is better to go to a watchmaker who will do it right in the time it takes to get it right than to go to a watch repairer who will do a quick job and get it running, kinda.

Don Dahlberg

Familiar Face
Watchmakers cannot know what is wrong and how much time it will take to repair the problem. Sometimes we spend many hours trying to track down vintage parts. Most people will give you a base price (basic cleaning), but cannot give you an estimated price until that take the watch apart. All I can say is Doug is experienced with vintage watches and does it right.

Don

I just contacted Doug. He is heading off on a European holiday (NAWCC) as of Sept. 13. Back Oct. 5.

Last edited:

Giftmacher

One Too Many
Just won these on Aukro. Price 1800,-CZK. Noname, but at least silver and nice in my opinion.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Had this Leonidas G.S.T.P given to me recently from an old Aunt, she didn't know where it had come from( my mother thinks it was my great uncles who served in the dessert during WW2), sadly it doesn't work as the balance is broken;
2nlfk2.jpg
2la6n0w.jpg
2uhpy5g.jpg
3qxyc.jpg

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
I think I will repair it if I can find a similar PW, the case is very good and the movement is very clean.....I suspect it was dropped!
I will look out for another Leonidas with a poor case and good balance hopefully with aslightly better dial too.

Don Dahlberg

Familiar Face
GSTP (General Service Trade Pattern) watches were issued to British military ground forces in WWII. They were not usually of great quality, but they are an important part of history. I do not know how hard it will be to find another balance staff, but if it is possible, the present balance should be restaffed. A good watchmaker can make a new staff, but it cost money for the time. Keep the watch as original as possible.

Check the crystal to see if it is plastic. It should be glass. You can try to stick a pin into the edge. It the pin penetrates, it is plastic and the yellow is decomposing and releasing chemicals that corrode the hands and other parts. If it is glass, the pin will not penetrate or stick. Yellow plastic crystals should be replaced with a proper glass crystal.

Don

GSTP (General Service Trade Pattern) watches were issued to British military ground forces in WWII. They were not usually of great quality, but they are an important part of history. I do not know how hard it will be to find another balance staff, but if it is possible, the present balance should be restaffed. A good watchmaker can make a new staff, but it cost money for the time. Keep the watch as original as possible.

Check the crystal to see if it is plastic. It should be glass. You can try to stick a pin into the edge. It the pin penetrates, it is plastic and the yellow is decomposing and releasing chemicals that corrode the hands and other parts. If it is glass, the pin will not penetrate or stick. Yellow plastic crystals should be replaced with a proper glass crystal.

Don

All good points. It looks to be a 7-15 jewel movement. I can't see the other plate to tell. :p

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
ok here's the finished pics of the Leonidas after I managed to get a running example with good dial in a poor case, I 'just' swapped the movement, dial and hands over then lumed the unlumed dial and hands.
2uemh50.jpg

29uu7ir.jpg
119romt.jpg

sqttsj.jpg

Here's the other plate, it's a Unitas movement (not sure which number?)I think 15J
4t143s.jpg

I put a new 'glass' in too though I am not too happy about a couple of bits of glue that I can see on the pics but in the hand you can't see them, I chose glass as I intend to use it on a leather 'military' strap attatched to a jacket button hole to the breast pocket.

Last edited:

BEHerron

New in Town
Beautiful watch.

Here we have a beautiful 15-jewel, three-adjustment 1920s dress-watch:

IMG_1287.jpg

It is 1.75 inches across the case.

I would like to have it serviced in time for the wedding I have to attend in Scotland. But part of the servicing will have to involve the watchmaker removing and discarding the swan-neck regulator inside the movement:

IMG_1291.jpg

As you can see, the adjustment-screw snapped off. And the screw is so small that I wouldn't be able to regulate it myself anyway. Once the swan-neck is gone, I can regulate the watch's time myself with no problems.

Fiddly little things, watches...Especially pretty dress-watches from the Roaring Twenties...

Some nice watches,some of the finest watches(pocket) were made in America,the railroad grade 5 position adjusted open face,lever set,They rival any swiss watch IMO.If I buy a pocket watch it is always a railroad grade 19j or more,Illinois,Howard,Elgin,Rockford,Waltham,Hamilton.For about 250.00 you can have a number of good rr grade watches,when you move up to the Ball you start to get up there in price.Just my 2 cents.PS try CHwatch,he has some great pockets at nice prices.Brian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto