Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocketwatches

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
manton said:
What a fob hole on the vest? That's something certain Savile Row firms will do even if you don't ask for it. Over here, you not only have to ask, you have to explain what it is.

A picture's worth a thousand words. Explain to a U.S. tailor that unlike the other buttonholes on the vest, this buttonhole is vertical. It is meant to hold the metal "T" bar of a watch chain (see photo at bottom), which would be slipped into the buttonhole from the front, thereby 'anchoring' the chain to the vest.

1ed9_1.jpg
------
dsp_br_035.jpg

mas8.jpg

Pantherman

New in Town
Thanks, you all have been most helpful in this matter. I will be posting my suit in a few months when I get everything together.

Pantherman

Fredthecat

One of the Regulars
Hamilton Pocket Watch Repair

Does anyone know of a good experienced master watch repair I can send a couple of Hamilton 992 Railroad Grade pocket watches to for repair?

One has a cracked balance jewel, other needs a good cleaning and timing.

Have you dealt with them before?

Thanks,
Fredthecat

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Pocketwatch maintenance.

I've got a few old pocketwatches, most of which run but not well. So I sent them off to a clock repairman friend of mine. All these watches are dollar watches, watches that were inexpensive when they were made, made without jewels and as simply as possible. I know these aren't fine Swiss watches. But I love them, two of them were my introduction to pocketwatches.

Unfortunately, I've now been told by three watch repairmen that these watches weren't meant to last long, aren't worth fixing, and they won't fix them. This whole thing has me frustrated. They're simple watches, fairly common even now, do run, and I was willing to pay. People may turn up their nose at the humble dollar watch, but these things have been running for 60 years or more!

Well, sometimes if you want something done at all, you have to do it yourself. But I would like any advice or guidance anyone has to offer. I'm fairly mechanically minded, I've just never worked on a watch before. These are the timepieces in question:

DSC04686.jpg

The Westclox was my great-grandpa's (fob made by me). I have two other Westclox Scottys, one which works badly and another that's flat out broken. The Dasco was gotten off eBay. It's a push-to-set, I don't know if there's a mechanical advantage to that, but I think I know why pull-to-set won out. It actually runs the smoothest of all of them, just consistently fast. With the regulator set at the slowest setting it gains 15 about every two hours. The Westclox runs spot on for a while, but after running for a day or so starts to slow down at an alarming and unpredictable pace. So I need to slow down the Dasco and speed up and stabilize the Westclox. I thought oiling the pivots on the Westclox, if I can find the correct oil, might help, but I'm at a loss for the Dasco.

DSC04687.jpg

Cheers,
Nick

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
Nick, I'd have to agree that those watches weren't meant to last long. The first watches I ever had as a kid back in the 1950s were the Westclox model, and as I recall, a Timex model which was identical. Clock faces were plastic. In my experience the watches lasted about a year or so. When the watch quit working I'd throw it out and buy a new one. Sure wish they still made them.

dnjan

One Too Many
One problem with any old watch is wear around the stem. This wear allows lint from your pocket to get into the watch, which screws up the timing.

I was told (by the watch repairman that I was visiting about every 10-12 months) to avoid pants with cotton pockets, as the lint would be more/worse.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I certainly hope you're able to find someone that can fix them. Perhaps try taking them into a regular old watch store, or an antique person, someone that may not turn up their nose. I've been in your shoes a few times with some old things of mine that held sentimental value. Of course, no one helped me either and I ended up just keeping the broken items.

Good luck anyway!

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
WideBrimm,
I suppose you could say these watches are the early stages of our current "throwaway" culture of Bic pens and Dixie cups, but I think it says something that these watches, which were intended to be thrown away, still run, albiet badly. It's like the inexpensive cars of the '80s and early 90s. They run really bad for a real long time.

Don,
I've had that lint problem with a new 18 jewel Colibri pocket watch. The closed nature of the workings of these dollar watches makes checking for lint difficult at best.

I think I've managed to repair one of my Westclox Scottys, not the one pictured, one I won off eBay. The balance wheel would jiggle and stop if I held it at the right angle, which is unfortunately the angle it's at when I sit. Carefully bending the frame right above the balance wheel has secured it and lessened unwanted vibration. So far it's keeping good time.

I tried adjusting the balance wheel on the Dasco using the little screw above it, but no matter what it still seems to run fast. As for the pictured Westclox, it's sill running erratically and I'm not sure what I can do about that one.

Zig2k143

Practically Family
Pocketwatch suggestions.

I'm considering buying a pocketwatch soon. I am not very educated on them as of yet and I have a lot of reading to do. Does anyone have any suggestions for me on good websites to go to learn about them or suggestions on the type of watches. I don't want a very expensive one but I'd like a good quality one.

dnjan

One Too Many
Nick D said:
WideBrimm,
I think I've managed to repair one of my Westclox Scottys, not the one pictured, one I won off eBay. The balance wheel would jiggle and stop if I held it at the right angle, which is unfortunately the angle it's at when I sit. Carefully bending the frame right above the balance wheel has secured it and lessened unwanted vibration. So far it's keeping good time.
If you didn't get working by "modifying the frame", I would have suggested gettng a vest. :)

Barry

Practically Family
I'm reading about pocket watches myself. I just bought a 1920's Illinois watch on E-bay. It wasn't too expensive at all. This watch was made before Hamilton acquired the company. I bought this to use instead of my wristwatch which needs an overhaul and possible movement replacement :mad:.

The Illinois watch is not very large. It's size 12.

48b1_1.jpg

I came across this site: www.pocketwatcher.org. It seems to be helpful - the faq on the site is located at:

http://www.pocketwatcher.org/category/watch_information/

Barry

Feraud

Bartender
Colibri makes mechanical and quartz pocket watches.
I have a mechanical that has given good service through the years.

Here are a few vintage pieces to inspire you.
Picture5513.jpg

Picture5518.jpg

Picture5515.jpg

Picture5512.jpg

Picture5511.jpg

Along with a pocket watch you need a chain..
picture50659nj.jpg

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
dnjan said:
If you didn't get working by "modifying the frame", I would have suggested gettng a vest. :)

Funny you should mention getting a vest! I usually wear my pocket watch in my front pocket attached to a chain hooked to a belt loop. One repeat problem which I have is that the watch "handle" (don't know the correct term) inevitably comes off after time, and repeatedly putting it back on (usually with pliers) will seldom keep it there. :rage: Wearing a vest certainly would be the best solution. :D

dnjan

One Too Many
Yes, I have had a number of the (whatever they are called) wear out and come off. Now I prefer pants with watch pockets (or the change pockets on the insides of some pants pockets) so that the watch is supported by something other than the chain.

Michaelson

One Too Many
I have never had a problem with lint working it's way into the pendent area of a pocketwatch, and I've carried them since the mid 60's on a daily basis. A well trained and experienced watch man will pack the area around the stem with non-migrating grease that stops anything from entering a case.

As to the watches in question, I, too, am very sorry to agree with everyone that it's not a case of 'turning one's nose up' at a dollar watch. These watches were made with metal pinions and staffs, and just plain wear out due to metal turning against metal. After 60 years, as you say, sure, they run...but they're no longer time keepers. They're just small moving machines that are going through the motions. These were created to use and carry for a couple years, then be tossed. That's why they were only a buck. They were easy to replace, and no thought or plans were ever made to repair them at all.

If you DO start probing around inside, be VERY careful if you should pop the crystal. Certain models don't mount from the outside, but are inserted from the INSIDE of the base metal bezel. I've read several horror stories at the NAWCC forum (which I'm a member of) of folks who found this out the hard way, and had to eventually scrap out the watch as they couldn't get the case back together again. Parts are not available either, and the only way to find anything is to find a comparable broken watch and try to scrap it out. Most of the movement is tabbed together to hold the plates, so don't expect to find many screws to turn inside. All the screws you see in your photos are only holding the two full plates together, and keeping the wheel train from falling out of the watch, as the pinions on the wheels are just rotating in holes drilled in the plates rather than in jeweled bearings that would be separate and replaceable in a repairable watch.

I'l suggest you just retire those to a place of honor, and find yourself something else for carry.

Oh, and the name of the 'handle' on the watch that the chain attaches to is called the 'bow'.

Regards! Michaelson

dnjan

One Too Many
Thanks for the name "bow".

I have only worn them off on modern :throw-a-way" watches (two colibri's).

As far as the lint problem, that was on a nice elgin. I got it from my father-in-law in the '80's, and he had gotten it from his grandfather. Age just caught up with it. Nice watch, but was costing me $100/year to keep running (and i kept excellent time for 50 of those 52 weeks!).

Michaelson

One Too Many
$100 a year!!!????:eek: WHY??!!!!

I've carried everything from dollar watches to 23j Elgin Veritas railroad watches, and have NEVER had to pay more than $50 every 5 years for a daily carry watch standard service!!

Something was REALLY wrong with that case, my friend, to have caused THAT much problem with lint!!:( Like I said, I've NEVER experienced that with ANY of my watches, and I carry Elgin and Hamilton's exclusively.

Regards! Michaelson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24