Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pointy-collared dress shirts

J. Brisbin

Familiar Face
I was in Kohl's the other day and picked up a nice herringbone white dress shirt at %60 off (gotta love Kohl's) and noticed a large number of Arrow shirts with collars that were significantly pointier than the other shirts there. I compared collars and the difference was noticeable. I looked in every stack and couldn't find one in my size (one thing I hate about Kohl's...they've got what they've got and that's it). I wanted to mention it, though, since we've been talking about severe points on collars for some time. They also had a brand of dress shirts that had french cuffs (yes, french cuffs in Kohl's!) but again, none in my size.

If you have a Kohl's nearby, you might check. They had some great shirts (herringbone and various colors) and the night I was there they had 50-60% off.

I was watching TCM the other night and they had a Philo Vance movie on (The Dragon Murder Case) from the late '30s and one of the characters had the largest collars I have ever seen on a shirt. Larger, even, than '70s collars. They came straight down the edges of his tie to the middle of the gorge. They must have been a good 4 or 5 inches long. I can't see myself wearing a shirt like that, but it would sure be an eye-catcher! :)

Feraud

Bartender
I too have noticed Kohl's Arrow brand have narrower points to their collars.
The slim fit Van Heusen brand also has a decent collar.
See here -
shirt2.jpg

Regarding Philo Vance, was the character's collar similar to this?
Picture6029.jpg

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Van Heusen collars (in my experience) usually part too wide. They don't align with the tie, they part away from it. I have one shirt and one shirt only that aligns with a tie. It's by John Ashford.

TCameron

Familiar Face
Van Heusen

Having worn a Van Husen shirt everyday of my life (no joke) for 4 years now, I know the line very well. If you manage to find an outlet store near you, there are deals to be had, and they are worth it. However, don't expect miracles as the collars and points of them will eventually become worn and show their age an eventually wear down to show white, not the color of the fabric you bought. They are a poly/cotton blend, and are hard to get wrinkles into, and destory immediatley.

Feraud

Bartender
happyfilmluvguy said:
Van Heusen collars (in my experience) usually part too wide. They don't align with the tie, they part away from it. I have one shirt and one shirt only that aligns with a tie. It's by John Ashford.
So you prefer the Ashfords to the V.Heusens? I find the opposite is true. I can wear a collar bar with a Van Heusen (slim cut line) while the Ashfords do not accept a bar.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
It's not that I don't prefer one over the other, I just haven't found the right one. [huh] Someday. I do have one shirt that I mentioned before. Not a pointed collar but it's 100% cotton and has a slim fit.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
happyfilmluvguy said:
I just haven't found the right one. [huh] Someday.
You could have your perfect shirt made by a local shirtmaker and then use it as prototype for an Asian shirtmaker to copy. For instance, Freddy Vandecasteele in LA will make you whatever you like for around $150 and Jantzen in HK will copy it for around $40. Just a thought.[huh]

Dagwood

Practically Family
Always been confused on undercurve - is the Baron's shirt collar a good example of the undercurve?

Feraud

Bartender
Dagwood said:
Always been confused on undercurve - is the Baron's shirt collar a good example of the undercurve?
Yes it is. Look at his shirt and those below.
DSC01293.jpg

If you notice the curve of Baron Kurtz's collar rests with the shape of his chest rather than against it.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Dagwood said:

I would say so- as you can see, it allows the collar to follow the body shape,
from collar bone, down the chest. It works.
BK's example is finely tuned, style-wise.

I think it's a great one.

I actually have a similarly shaped d.etachable collar.

B
T

pity the gawl durned thing is cover'd in moth holes and patches and rips and holes . . . and stains. made in Liverpool, one would imagine 1930s.

Unwearable. I just wore it for the collar pic. And i only bought it so's i could have it copied someday . . .

bk

I was planning on copying it myself.

J. Brisbin

Familiar Face
Feraud said:
Regarding Philo Vance, was the character's collar similar to this?
Picture6029.jpg

The tips of the collars probably came down at least that far, but the back part of the collar looked to be about a normal height. No room for three buttons up front. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy