Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pollys and Spring-o-lators!

Inky

One Too Many

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
LD, Sping-o-Lators were a brand of mules made in the 50s that had a strong piece of elastic from the ball of the foot to under the arch of the foot. It helped keep the shoe on the foot.

Pollys are mules that almost always have a metal portion on the heel. Occasionally you find them with ankle straps.

These are the Remix ones:
Stiletto.gif

They tend to be very expensive and are coveted by collectors. There seems to be quite a market for custom-made repros as well.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Oh, Ive seen a pair of these before, in a thrift store. (Thanks for the links, Inky.)
I just cant do heels over 2" no matter how spring loaded they are :)

LD

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
cynroux said:
I was gifted my first pair of Springolators by a friend who fit the shoe size but no the actual shoe. I love them! I've long lusted for leopard print Pollys.

Question: do Springolators really stay on your feet like they're supposed to?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I just found a pair of Springolators in my size on Ebay, deadstock, for $65. That is a SUPER DUPER STEAL. I'm very, very excited - been looking for white shoes for months now!

DSC08470.jpg

DSC08469.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Inky said:
Swoon! I am infinitely jealous of your tiny feet and those lovely shoes!

I have wide feet, so it's very hard to find vintage that fits. Not only are they my size, but they're an M width, which will work. That's totally rare.

Shirin

A-List Customer
Well KittyT it sounds like it was meant to be. They are nice shoes!

There's no way my feet could handle this type of shoe. I still have some 3.5 inch heels from pre-baby days. Currently I cannot wear them because my feet and legs go red after about 10 minutes.:( I keep on a low heel these days.

lady eel

New in Town
sold many too cheap

I've had many, and sold them. Frankly I don't think they are very comfortable.
I had no idea those metal/wood heeled mules were called "Pollys" and I also had no idea they could go for good money. I sell at a flea market and usually sell them for $20-$45 (the latter for leopard print ones) Probably should have listed them on ebay, oh well [huh]

AvaTrimble

New in Town
I was unfamiliar with the term "spring-o-lator" but I have been a devoted fan of such shoes for years. Actually, these days my go-to shoes are fancy lacy-cut imitation leather mules, with about a 2" heel - low enough to be comfy, high enough to look like a heel. Especially workable since I'm 5'9" barefoot, and don't have much need to be over six feet tall! Well - not all the time, anyway!

Spring-o-lators! hmmm - Inky was right: latest obsession, for sure. It's just that mules are so LOUD to walk in! I feel like I'm announcing my presence with a big band and a drumroll.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
lady eel said:
I've had many, and sold them. Frankly I don't think they are very comfortable.
I had no idea those metal/wood heeled mules were called "Pollys" and I also had no idea they could go for good money. I sell at a flea market and usually sell them for $20-$45 (the latter for leopard print ones) Probably should have listed them on ebay, oh well [huh]

Hm, you should sell ME a pair of leopard ones for $45!

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
I have four pairs of Spring-o-lators: two with lucite heels (so pretty!), another is sparkly red, and the fourth is navy. Here's a pic for the first pair:

My other lucite heeled Spring-o-lators (not like you can actually see the heels in the photo...sorry about that!):

I love Spring-o-lators. I was actually wearing my navy ones all night last Friday, and yes, they definitely stick to your feet -- it took some effort to finally get them off at the end of the night! lol

I have a pair of black, maribou-trimmed Polly mules, but have yet to come across a pair of the definitive metal/wood ones. I really want a pair though, and will probably cave and go for the Remix. Here are my Polly slippers:

AvaTrimble

New in Town
Originally Posted by cynroux
and the problem with that is....?

Hmmmmm, good point. I suppose I still have some nervousness about being too... obvious! Note to self: get over it. =D

Those black marabou-trimmed Pollys are to DIE for. If one had those and a satin dressing gown - well! You'd be set. Bombshell-o-matic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner