Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pomade or what? Help please!

Naama

Practically Family
Now, If I want to have a similar style like that
Baker03.jpg
do I have to use pomade and "glue" my hair to my head, or can I use gel, will that hold? Will that be really sticky? I'd really like to try that, but I'm a bit afraid if it comes to gel or pomade (don't ask why) :( Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!

Naama

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Yes, she definitely has something (even just a setting lotion) in her hair to give it that look/hold as well as a slight sheen. The product would have been combed through her hair before being pinned into place while it set/dried.

If you use too much pomade, your hair will look greasy. Too much gel, and your hair will be stiff (and your fears about product use do make sense, as the hair that touches your forehead could cause breakouts depending on your skin.) Pomade does come in different weights though, and you can experiment to see what works best with your hair (and you may not even need it, it depends on its texture.)

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
Naama said:
Now, If I want to have a similar style like that
Baker03.jpg
do I have to use pomade and "glue" my hair to my head, or can I use gel, will that hold? Will that be really sticky? I'd really like to try that, but I'm a bit afraid if it comes to gel or pomade (don't ask why) :( Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!

Naama

I often wear my hair with curls like that around my face since my style is a pixie.

The ones I use now are V05 Obey! and Play Gel Wax; Got2b playful pomade (I don't use this often, and I wouldn't recommend it if your hair is oily, it can be very greasy); Garnier Fructis Style Fiber gum putty (this is my favorite, not greasy, allows you to mold your style, but use sparingly, if you use to much, it is very gumpy and gooey).

Don't laugh, but to get those type curls, I actually use regular tape, and tape them to my forehead and sides of my face after I have washed my hair and applied one of the above products, I make the curls with a comb and tape! It really works!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you do opt for a pomeade, I recommend Bed Head brand. They make a few different types with various weights. I find this brand to be less sticky than others, and when dry, does not look to greasy.
If you use gel, I find that by brushing it through and when dry spraying it with "laminates" spray by Sebastian works the best. Brushing it out makes it less crunchy, and the sheen spray adds a nice touch of shine and can control any fly aways you migh get.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Don't laugh, but to get those type curls, I actually use regular tape, and tape them to my forehead and sides of my face after I have washed my hair and applied one of the above products, I make the curls with a comb and tape! It really works!

This is the old-fashioned way of setting your spit curls :)

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
She is (or rather, was) Josephine Baker. "La Baker", an African-American, had kinky hair which needed some work to be straightened.

Yep, I knew that. But your average white hair needs some type of setting product in it to create a style like that as well. My hair, which is naturally straight, would not hold that style without some help either.

dollfaced

Familiar Face
I have to agree with Jitterbug that style is impossible with out setting lotion or some kind of gel. Pomade is geat for shine but not when you want to hold on to a curl or wave i love Hairgum Gloss which is a pomade it comes in a cool tin and looks very vintage retro and smells like candy and it's cheep!!!! But i would recoment it as a frizz tammer or for shine or if you just want to be James Dean for a day lol JK !!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I second the Sebastion products as well, I love all their products. Also, a product I always have around is Pantene pomade..works great.

Rosie

One Too Many
For pincurls and such, ones that stick like that, women of color then, and now (if they want this style) use Dax curling and waving wax http://www.hairproducts.com/view_product_BLA-DAX107.htm

This product is very good for AA hair but truthfully, it's a bit greasy, I can't recommend anyone with naturally stright hair to use this though. I tried to do my friend Erica's hair with it years ago and :eusa_doh: it was just a big mess, it took FOREVER to wash it out of her hair. Years ago I would flat iron my hair or straighten it and I used this product. I have also used it to make marcel curls.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I really like Paves Flawless Un-Damaged Goods Deep Repairing Conditioning Cream. It has excellent hold! More like a creamy wax rather than a pomade.

My personal favorite pomade is Aura's Humectant pomade. I buy it at Sally Beauty Supply. Nice price, smells good, adds tons of shine, and holds/molds hair very well. I find that if I use some on my hair while it is damp, it really seems to hold the style very well. But you do have to be careful about how much you use, as it is easy to get too much!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
For pincurls and such, ones that stick like that, women of color then, and now (if they want this style) use Dax curling and waving wax http://www.hairproducts.com/view_product_BLA-DAX107.htm

A friend of mine likes with naturally straight hair likes to use a dab of Dax before rag curling her hair. She say it helps keep it smooth and flyway free. I have never tried it, but I do find that a tiny amount of pomade does work quite well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda