Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pomade

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
OK, so I've been using a lot of Royal Crown Pomade lately. I'm down to about half the tin actually. How does their "Dressing" compare with the "Pomade" product? Is it shinier, less shiny, more hold, or less hold? Thanks.

Dressing is VERY SLICK and VERY SHINY, not as much hold. best used for slicked down side parts or Mike Ness slicked back close to the head styles. it is very greasy, it has a very distinct smell that takes some getting used to, when I use it my girlfriend always complains about the smell

Jan

One of the Regulars
I'm sure some of you folks would appreciate this...

Got crazy lost yesterday, so I had to make the most out of the situation, and went looking for pomade!

4d7e5cef.jpg

Bought the entire stock of Dixie Peach Pomade. Not as cheap as I wish it would've been, since the guy knew exactly what he had. But, I'm never in that area, so why not? Found another "rare" gem, being E.F. Young Jr Pomade. Never seen it before and it was the last two in the store (the two pink tins.) A couple of black beeswax, Nu-Nile since a lot of people had been wanting me to review it, and some more Royal Crown Black Pomade Sticks, since they were cheaper than I've seen and now I can use em!

Anyone here love Dixie Peach? I know it's a fan favorite for the classic folks, because of the sheen and scent.

I'm sure some of you folks would appreciate this...

Got crazy lost yesterday, so I had to make the most out of the situation, and went looking for pomade!

4d7e5cef.jpg

Bought the entire stock of Dixie Peach Pomade. Not as cheap as I wish it would've been, since the guy knew exactly what he had. But, I'm never in that area, so why not? Found another "rare" gem, being E.F. Young Jr Pomade. Never seen it before and it was the last two in the store (the two pink tins.) A couple of black beeswax, Nu-Nile since a lot of people had been wanting me to review it, and some more Royal Crown Black Pomade Sticks, since they were cheaper than I've seen and now I can use em!

Anyone here love Dixie Peach? I know it's a fan favorite for the classic folks, because of the sheen and scent.

Quite the stash! Hope you like those brands!
I'm considering the move to Pomade, and just gave some a try that my son uses. Any suggestions for a guy with fine hair, sorta 30's gangster with the long top combed back over my head. Use gel and hairspray currently...I need something stiff, hopefully with no smell, or a masculine one.

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
I still have a little jar of Dixie Peach that I bought like six years ago at an Osco drug store. It closed. I dunno where to even buy that stuff besides online now for some crazy price. Imagine Royal Crown hold and shine, but with a strong peach scent.

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
I'm considering the move to Pomade, and just gave some a try that my son uses. Any suggestions for a guy with fine hair, sorta 30's gangster with the long top combed back over my head. Use gel and hairspray currently...I need something stiff, hopefully with no smell, or a masculine one.

Murray's Murray's Murray's hair dressing. Thickest, best stuff you can buy at most stores for like 2-3$ a tin. Has a very mild scent not to feminine for your needs. Dump the gel goop and give your girlfriend back her hairspray.

Maguire

Practically Family
As i've posted earlier, i've always been trying to use pomades and brylcreems rather than gel on account of the fact that with gel i'd have to wait hours for the gel to harden before i could finally put on my hat, leading to a really silly situation where during the day i'm carrying the hat but once the sun goes down i've got it on (defeating the purpose of a straw hat for starters). IC gel is the best i've seen, for some reason around here its marketed in the "ethnic section". It doesn't leave ANY flakes, and has excellent hold. It is reasonably priced. I can usually put a hat on and it won't significantly affect my hair once the gel is dry. I find that royal crown is the most effective pomade, but even this doesn't keep my hair as neat, and absolutely nothing works to slicking my hair back. I used it in the dead of winter mind you, and can't imagine how it would work in the summer. I may give it a stab in a few weeks. I am hearing that Murrays is more effective from a few folks here so i may pick up a can but i always assumed that was more specifically for black folks' hair, ie kinky rather than curly/wavy. If it does the trick, i'm sold.

djd

Practically Family
I've finally got my hands on some American Crew pomade and I have to say I'm really impressed. My hair is mostly grey now and this gives it a great shine without making it feel greasy. Love it!

Murray's Murray's Murray's hair dressing. Thickest, best stuff you can buy at most stores for like 2-3$ a tin. Has a very mild scent not to feminine for your needs. Dump the gel goop and give your girlfriend back her hairspray.

The one he has is indeed American Crew. I like the smell, but I'm not sure I like it - or I'm not used to it. Will go look for Murrays today!
Thanks.

As i've posted earlier, i've always been trying to use pomades and brylcreems rather than gel on account of the fact that with gel i'd have to wait hours for the gel to harden before i could finally put on my hat, leading to a really silly situation where during the day i'm carrying the hat but once the sun goes down i've got it on (defeating the purpose of a straw hat for starters). IC gel is the best i've seen, for some reason around here its marketed in the "ethnic section". It doesn't leave ANY flakes, and has excellent hold. It is reasonably priced. I can usually put a hat on and it won't significantly affect my hair once the gel is dry. I find that royal crown is the most effective pomade, but even this doesn't keep my hair as neat, and absolutely nothing works to slicking my hair back. I used it in the dead of winter mind you, and can't imagine how it would work in the summer. I may give it a stab in a few weeks. I am hearing that Murrays is more effective from a few folks here so i may pick up a can but i always assumed that was more specifically for black folks' hair, ie kinky rather than curly/wavy. If it does the trick, i'm sold.

Exactly what I'm talking about! I use Gel and then some hairspray on towel-dried hair.
Maybe I need to change my procedure? Do you guys (gals) use Pomade on freshly washed and dried hair? What's your way?

Thanks!

Qirrel

Practically Family
I will put pomade in dry or wet hair depending on what sort of look I'm going for that day. (I use a water based pomade.) If i want the slicked back look I put it in dry hair and comb it back. To get that softer look (a la Dillinger in Public Enemies), I add some water with my hands to spread the pomade out thinly. Works great with american crew.

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
Wet, otherwise be prepared for fly aways and mucho static cling. I always melt it with a hair dryer too so you reduce clumping/white specks, and it is spread evenly so you wont use quite as much.

I spread a little dab of Dax blue can dressing over the sides and back of the finished product today. VERY shiney and greasy. Girls come running.

Wet, otherwise be prepared for fly aways and mucho static cling. I always melt it with a hair dryer too so you reduce clumping/white specks, and it is spread evenly so you wont use quite as much.

I spread a little dab of Dax blue can dressing over the sides and back of the finished product today. VERY shiney and greasy. Girls come running.

Thanks Travis! Now, tough question. How much does one use? I can't seem to get it how I like it so far, but that's only 3-4 tries. Seems heavy, so I'm taking it easy on the amount.

RichardH

One of the Regulars

I´m black and Murrays Original didn´t work at all with me.. But my hair is chemically straightened so I don´t think I need such a strong product. It´s almost impossible to wash out and strangely enough, my hair felt really "hard" from using it, almost like gel.. The Hair Glo (also from murrays) works like a charm though, but it has no hold whatsoever, only a brilliant sheen.

Right now, I´m considering a few different pomades; The Ducktail one, RC Hair dressing & and a soft and a hard one from Schmiere.

My main problem is keeping the hair in check at the back of my head. The top and sides are very manageable for some reason, but at the back, it´s practically impossible to keep it in place.. I think I might go see a hairdresser soon, I feel like I have to thin it out a little at the back/nape area..

Any suggestions?

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
How much does one use? I can't seem to get it how I like it so far, but that's only 3-4 tries. Seems heavy, so I'm taking it easy on the amount.

Well it depends on what hair style you want, how your hair is cut and what hair type you have. Keep in mind you'll probably have to style your hair again once the pomade stiffens/cools and your hair is completely dry if you want a perfectly groomed look. Keep in mind though, the more you comb thru dry hair the more static electricity is generated making hair less managable and this can also generate a lite white build up in your hair. That is of course if you're combing it dry for like 10 minutes.

Sometimes less is more and other times more is more. If you have a cowlick or stubborn hair that wont do what you want then I'd say use a lot.

A good sized pinch is the amount I use on any given day. If you want to put a lighter based pomade as a top coating for extra shine and an easier comb thru. Use a tiny amount and remember that the more of the lighter pomade you use, you're compromising the hold of the heavy pomade you put on first. Also to much really greasy pomade on your head can cause bad pimple break outs.

As you've probably realised, the stuff doesn't wash out very easily. I recommend washing your hair twice with shampoo or mixing in a liquid dish cleaning soap like Dawn in with your shampoo. It's like 2$ for a good sized bottle and a little goes a long way, and expensive shampoo is for women and guys with dry hair. Those methods mentioned will NOT 100% strip out the grease, but will take a good percentage out that shampooing once just wont do.

Another pointer, keep the hair on the back of your neck and around your ears buzzed short like a traditional haircut from the 30's. This keeps you from getting nasty pimple break outs, you use less pomade and shampoo, and it's WAY less mess on your nice shirts, pillow cases and furniture.

Jan

One of the Regulars
I´m black and Murrays Original didn´t work at all with me.. But my hair is chemically straightened so I don´t think I need such a strong product. It´s almost impossible to wash out and strangely enough, my hair felt really "hard" from using it, almost like gel.. The Hair Glo (also from murrays) works like a charm though, but it has no hold whatsoever, only a brilliant sheen.

Right now, I´m considering a few different pomades; The Ducktail one, RC Hair dressing & and a soft and a hard one from Schmiere.

My main problem is keeping the hair in check at the back of my head. The top and sides are very manageable for some reason, but at the back, it´s practically impossible to keep it in place.. I think I might go see a hairdresser soon, I feel like I have to thin it out a little at the back/nape area..

Any suggestions?

Since you got your hair chemically straightened (I'm assuming professionally, and not from an at-home treatment?) you should be safe with stuff on the medium side.

Mr. Ducktail's is a great one, Sweet Georgia Brown in the red tin, Black & White, or even Royal Crown Pomade. How much hold are you looking into? Murray's Superior and Hair-Glo are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Jan

One of the Regulars
Thanks Travis! Now, tough question. How much does one use? I can't seem to get it how I like it so far, but that's only 3-4 tries. Seems heavy, so I'm taking it easy on the amount.

If you aren't used to using pomade on a regular, I suggest doing a gradual amount. You can always add more, if needed. While you can always comb out the excess pomade, it's more work than needed.

For me, since I have long hair and do a pomp, I usually end up using a hefty amount of pomade. But that's just me. I've also been able to style real nicely with a conservative amount of pomade, as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR