Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pomade

If you aren't used to using pomade on a regular, I suggest doing a gradual amount. You can always add more, if needed. While you can always comb out the excess pomade, it's more work than needed.

For me, since I have long hair and do a pomp, I usually end up using a hefty amount of pomade. But that's just me. I've also been able to style real nicely with a conservative amount of pomade, as well.

Thanks! What I did last night when I got home was wet my hands a little, then rubbed my (with pomade) hair. Then I took a small towel and "dried" it. Brushed and I was very happy! I think I went too heavy. The first time I went too light, so it looks like a fine art form :)
Thanks all for the tips...still have some experimenting to do.

RichardH

One of the Regulars
Since you got your hair chemically straightened (I'm assuming professionally, and not from an at-home treatment?) you should be safe with stuff on the medium side.

Mr. Ducktail's is a great one, Sweet Georgia Brown in the red tin, Black & White, or even Royal Crown Pomade. How much hold are you looking into? Murray's Superior and Hair-Glo are on opposite ends of the spectrum.
Yeah, I did it at a hair salon. I don´t dare to mess with that stuff on my own :p

Hopefully medium should do the trick, my hair is a little longer than yours (can almost touch the tip of my nose with my bangs, and the sides will completely cover my ears if I style my hair with a center part.. )

I think I´ll try Mr. Ducktail (using that fine discount code) and also buy some RC, Schmiere & SGB-red from Pomadeshop.
Thanks for your help!

flattopcomb

New in Town
As a barber i have to say personally I think The blue waxier sweet Georgia brown works the best especially mixed with a little of the red. And for a watersoluable i would say layrite with a little cr mixed in for shine. But it depends on what you want to do with it. Pomade is kind of a specialty of mine so if any of you have any questions pertaining to what you should use on a particular hair style let me know I'll be sure to help.

Jan

One of the Regulars
Yeah, I did it at a hair salon. I don´t dare to mess with that stuff on my own :p

Hopefully medium should do the trick, my hair is a little longer than yours (can almost touch the tip of my nose with my bangs, and the sides will completely cover my ears if I style my hair with a center part.. )

I think I´ll try Mr. Ducktail (using that fine discount code) and also buy some RC, Schmiere & SGB-red from Pomadeshop.
Thanks for your help!

No problem, glad I can help! If only I had this sort of help when I was starting out, then I wouldn't have left the house looking like a mess! Quite a few times at that.

If you need any other suggestions or questions about pomade, you can always check my blog and look up a brand in question. I have reviewed quite a bit, and have a whole lot more to go through!

RichardH

One of the Regulars
No problem, glad I can help! If only I had this sort of help when I was starting out, then I wouldn't have left the house looking like a mess! Quite a few times at that.

If you need any other suggestions or questions about pomade, you can always check my blog and look up a brand in question. I have reviewed quite a bit, and have a whole lot more to go through!

I´m an avid reader of yer blog Jan!

Jan

One of the Regulars
^Thanks Richard!

BTW, I've posted something about giveaways. Might want to check it out ;)

It's not gonna be just pomade, so maybe some folks would be interested? ;)

But yes, there will be pomade giveaways, as well!

Jan

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the support you guys! If you haven't already, head to my site for the details! It's THAT simple!!!

Ok, enough of my blog for right now.

I somehow managed to get natural "finger waves" in my hair yesterday, from getting some water drizzled on the front of my hair. Not even soaked, drizzled on. The pomade I used softened up a bit and gave my hair a very distinct wave! Not that I'm into the look, personally... But I know a lot of other folks dig the finger wave for men. Kind of funny how a POMADE got me that look, without having to actually do an actual finger wave!

Mr. Mahogany

New in Town
Hi, after I shower I rub Murrays pomade superior hold on a comb and comb into my hair while it's still damp. Then rub Brylcreem in my hair to thin it out a bit. Sometimes add a bit more pomade. Though half the time I just use Brylcreem.

Last edited:
Thanks a MILLION you guys! The Murrays is awesome! Hard to get on, and hard to get off yer hands, but exactly what I needed for my hair. I'm excited to find a great product like this, and under $3 a tin? Crazy good! Probably have to wash the pillow cases 7 x a week though :)
Thanks again for the suggestions.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Thanks a MILLION you guys! The Murrays is awesome! Hard to get on, and hard to get off yer hands, but exactly what I needed for my hair. I'm excited to find a great product like this, and under $3 a tin? Crazy good! Probably have to wash the pillow cases 7 x a week though :)
Thanks again for the suggestions.

If you want to add some shine to it, try adding a bit of Royal crown to it after the Murrays, it really finishes it up nicely

Mark D

One of the Regulars
I'm going to jump in here to ask for a little bit of help. In the early '90s I was given a pomade by a hair stylist in NYC. I loved this stuff and I'd like to find it again but I don't remember what it was called. The only thing that I do remember was the packaging. The jar was white plastic with rounded edges and it had a small flag, I believe nautical [red, white & blue?] , printed on the side.

Does anyone out there have any idea what this stuff might have been? I've gone through this thread, looked at labels on Amazon, and searched Jan's blog [great site btw Jan] and I can't find anything.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jan

One of the Regulars
Thanks Mark.

That sounds familiar, but I can't put a name on it. I'll try and dig around and see if I can find what you were given.

edit*

Do you happen to remember what color/texture the pomade was, or how much hold it gave it? It would help to narrow things down.

Mark D

One of the Regulars
Thanks Jan. It was firm I believe. I don't remember there being much if any text on the jar. Just that little flag. The pomade itself was off-white and rather waxy; like shoe-polish but softer. It wasn't at all gelatinous like the green DAX pomade or Dippity Doo.

It was perfect for my hair but the thing that I really I loved about it was the smell. I just thought it was great. Thanks again.

markthebarber

New in Town
I'm going to jump in here to ask for a little bit of help. In the early '90s I was given a pomade by a hair stylist in NYC. I loved this stuff and I'd like to find it again but I don't remember what it was called. The only thing that I do remember was the packaging. The jar was white plastic with rounded edges and it had a small flag, I believe nautical [red, white & blue?] , printed on the side.

Hmmm. That sound really familiar to me. Are you sure it was a white jar? Because my first thought was that you were talking about Clubman Sport pomade--although come to think of it, I'm pretty sure that wasn't around in the early 90s. And it was a drugstore product, so chances are a hair stylist wouldn't have been selling it. But it looked like this:

B00006JLZ1.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The other thought I had was a product called Stix Fix. It's a "hair design polish" which is sort of like a modern version of butch wax (although you can use it on longer hair as well). It's the EXACT texture that you describe. It's still sold today in stick form, but back in the early 90s I know for a fact that you could also get it in a little round white plastic tub/jar. They've changed the label slightly since then and I can't find any photos of the jar, which has probably been discontinued, but here's what the stick version used to look like in the 90s:

stix-fix-hair-design-polish-278x278.jpg

I used to use this stuff on my flattop back in the 90s and still use it today on my longer side-parted cut when I'm going for a drier look than usual. It's got great hold. It's not the stuff to use if you want a really shiny wet look, but there's enough petroleum in it to give you a bit of shine anyway. It smells amazing--sort of like a masculine talcum powder-y scent.

Last edited:

Mark D

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the possibles Mark but neither of them are the product that I remember.

I'm certain that the container was white. Here is a picture of a similarly styled container. What I remember had rounded edges like this one and was about the same size and shape.

Jar.jpg

Now if you took a flag something like this one and stuck it on the side I think we'd be pretty close. The flag was small; just about the size of the little green circle on the picture of the jar above.

Flag.jpg

I was using this in approximately 1990 or '91. It couldn't have been all too exotic. I got it from a stylist in Queens New York and didn't pay an exorbitant price.

Maguire

Practically Family
I used to use royal crown before giving up and returning to hair gel, but since trying murray's, i'm sold. Despite having messy, wavy, frizzy hair i find that murrays makes it look neat, with just a dab of brylcreem for shine.

Allen

New in Town
I've had great results with American Crew's pomade, awesome hold, and high shine. After some thought I finally indulged in a (dish, tin, can, container...? Not sure what to call it, hah...) and have been using it ever since. It doesn't dry out, or flake like other pomades will, and doesn't require heating. I apply it with my hair damp, for the record. Seems to work just fine. One thing I have found though, is that no matter what brand of pomade I use, my beret seems to suck it out of my hair like a sponge. Thankfully, the Army has now made the switch to the patrol cap, reserving the beret for dress uniforms, but I digress...American Crew is definitely worth it, avoid that AXE stuff like the plague. You get about twice as much as the Crew for about a third of the price, but you get what you pay for.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Clubman Eau De Quinine:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Is anybody familiar with using this hair tonic, or even heard of the name? I just ordered it, mainly because of, if I can recall, James Bond novel associations. I think this is about as old as the 1950s or '60s, if not older. This is advertised as a greaseless product, is something like this comparable to Vitalis?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda