Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pomade

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
What is the general consensus regarding Black and White Pomade? What results does it give, and does anyone use/swear by it? (Might be here, but I'm too lazy to search the thread here.)
I'm looking for something that will not leave my hair sticky, greasy, or weighed down, but will give a good shine and hold. Maybe a harder wax type pomade is what I want? If it gives a firm hold without oily weight.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Black and White? Well, I don't know much about it other than the fact that Elvis Presley supposedly liked it some time during the 1950s or '60s. I would like to try it some time.

On the other hand, is Vitalis still being made and sold today or have they gone defunct? I'm curious to try that as well.

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
Black and White is a waste of money(it's expensive). Doesn't hold much and I wasn't crazy about its mild scent.

Vitalis is like most any hair tonic in that it's mineral oil based, makes your hair look wet, but wont hold it in place terribly well, and will probably give you a couple pimples.

I use High Life pomade. My tattoo guy Adam Dorsett makes it and puts it out along with some other mens grooming products. You'll find it a little less grimey and harsh on your scalp than like Murrays or Dax let's say. Even the light weight dressing has a good hold, and applies easily. Just don't expect it to wash out easily.
The ladies really like the scent. It's Vanilla and coconut I think with a little something else.

I have no idea why anyone who's tried Layrite would recommend it to someone else. Heat breaks it up into flakes. It dries like gel, smells like gel. And unless you plop about a quarter of the little 15$ tub onto your head, it provides little hold.

androiden

New in Town
I have tried alot of different brands over a couple of years. But now i have found the one i like best, Murray's Exelento. It is easy to apply, and holds on great!

excelento.gif

Jan

One of the Regulars
While Layrite dries like a gel, it doesn't flake at all. I seriously have no idea how people are getting their Layrite to flake.

High Life, is a wax. It flakes as soon as it gets in contact with water. After showering, you can't slick your hair while wet, or it'll flake like crazy. But that's why they have their dark VooDoo Brew. I told Adam this, when I met him in Vegas. Cool dude, for sure.

Black & White, is a classic. The folklore with what Elvis used, will go back and forth until the end up time. Regardless, Black & White doesn't have a strong hold, but it's very malleable. Use it as a top coat with anything and you'll be able to style your hair almost effortlessly. It's awesome.

I have a treat for folks out there, who are looking for the right pomade to use, while going with either high, or low profiled hairstyles, hat or not hat, whatever... It's an amazing all around pomade, and I'll have the treat up for you folks, relatively soon!

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
I have a can of the Voodoo Brew. It's ok. It doesn't hold the hair like the others or go as far. There's a newer voodoo brew II that's a bright color. Never tried it.

I'm a greaser so the idea of using gel is pretty blasphemous. All these "guys" complaining about washing the stuff out is kinda whiny. I've never had leftover pomade ruin a hat. Sweat is more of a danger.

Edward_Lindey

One of the Regulars
I picked up a can of the Dapper Man and I think it is allright. I have been using a hair tonic and I do not like how it falls out of place when I wear a hat. The dapper man seems to be much better about keeping its shape. Has anyone else tried it?

Edward

Jan

One of the Regulars
Ok, here's the deal. www.hairgumusa.com is going to throw up a promo code for my blog, www.therebelrouser.wordpress.com. 30% off all products, for one month. A pretty ****in good discount, don't you think?! But here's the catch... The code goes live, when I make a proper how-to video! As soon as my video goes up, the code goes live, and you cats get a fat discount on an amazing pomade!

Personally, I think it's a proper pomade for a lot of the Fedora Lounge folks, as it's not greasy, gives a great amount of sheen, slicks perfectly, and won't gunk up your hats in anyway. Definitely something I hope you all will enjoy!

As I said, the code isn't live yet. But I'll let you all know as soon as it is!

Jan

One of the Regulars
I picked up a can of the Dapper Man and I think it is allright. I have been using a hair tonic and I do not like how it falls out of place when I wear a hat. The dapper man seems to be much better about keeping its shape. Has anyone else tried it?

Edward

Where'd you pick it up from? I emailed them months ago, to double check if they were still in production, but never got a reply.

Jan

One of the Regulars
The promo-code is live!

Head over to www.HairgumUSA.com and type in REBELROUSER as a promo-code, and get 30% off your entire order! Pretty awesome! Good till the good ol' 4th of July!

This stuff, in my opinion, is perfect for loungers. Perfect for hairstyles of the Golden Age!

Jan

One of the Regulars
I personally love Mr. Ducktail's signature pomade.

The scent between his and the Hairgum lines pomade is different. (I forget what the original scent is. If Adam could chime in, that would be great.) But his has a lavender/Cherry Cola scent. So it's pretty much just which scent you prefer, as they both offer the same hold.

Of course, I dig the Vince Ray artwork on his tin! It's really awesome!

Here's a size comparison.

44225693.jpg

The gigantic tin on the site looks normal. But trust me when I say, IT'S HUGE! The site makes it look like an average 3 oz tin! But it's 13.5 ounces of amazing greasy goodness! Well, not too greasy, just right!

And do not worry! I'm not selling you guys on this, because they're paying me! They're not! (if only, right?) But this stuff is amazing, definitely perfect for the loungers, and it's something I wanted to share with everyone!

The Good

Call Me a Cab
OK, so I've been using a lot of Royal Crown Pomade lately. I'm down to about half the tin actually. How does their "Dressing" compare with the "Pomade" product? Is it shinier, less shiny, more hold, or less hold? Thanks.

Jan

One of the Regulars
Royal Crown Pomade is completely different than it's Hair Dressing cousin.

The pomade is thicker, stickier, and actually gives bounce to the hair. The hair dressing is comparable to Murray's Super Light. Doesn't offer much hold, but definitely gives you a greasy sheen. Much more preferred, when going for the "wet look."

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
Guys with thinner hair that they want to look fuller/thicker should go for a heavier pomade/wax. Also the less grimey a product is, the less often you'll get pimples or irritation on the scalp.

BTW the blue can of Sweet Georgia Brown has a great summertime scent that is strong in a room. The hold is pretty good as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner