Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pomade

FredDairy

Familiar Face
SWTroopers said:
American Crew has a pomade like product called Fiber that is not shiney. Has pretty good hold.

Yeah, but I usually need something extra on the sides, thats where the black and white comes in. I like the sides shiney and the top more dry.

ValleyBoy

Familiar Face
I use American Crew. A little goes a long way, and it isn't too hard to take out with daily shampooing, but I do sometimes wish it had more shine to it, and I feel at times as though my hair has a waxy film left over after washing. [huh]

ValleyBoy said:
but I do sometimes wish it had more shine to it, and I feel at times as though my hair has a waxy film left over after washing. [huh]

Hmm...never had that problem but I suppose it depends on the shampoo you use. It comes out of my hair easily and goes back in after I towel dry my hair just as easily.
I suppose you could use the vaseline based stuff like Three Flowers and have it stay in your hair for days---even after washing shampooing and sandblasting. ;) :p

scotrace said:
I got my trick from Ray - a tiny bit of Bryl Creme at the end adds a wee bit of shine.

For some reason their new image is certainly different than their vintage image:
homepagebackground.jpg

:eek:
Oh and its Brylcreem now

Braxton36

One of the Regulars
Vintage combing technique

Longtime American Crew user here. I've tried a few other things but I keep coming back to AC. I've enjoyed reading what everyone else uses, though.

Wondered if any of you have ever heard of this combing technique that my very-much vintage era barber showed me. After using the finest teeth of the comb, turn the comb backwards and use the smooth edge to smooth the hair so that's sleek like glass. Probably works with any kind of grooming product - even water. I had always wondered how they got that glass-like finish (think Rudolph Valentino) and this seems to be the way. Maybe everyone else but me knows this.

Barry

Practically Family
I switched back to AC Fiber this week since I can't seem to find the Kiehl's stuff I was using. It's a little bit heavier but I'm happy with it.

Barry

woodyinnyc

One of the Regulars
I have always used baking soda on wet hair to get pomades out. Works great. Also, really like Aveda custom controlo pomade, comes in a container that looks like deodorant. Make sure you are awake when you use it though, its pits in the pits!

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
SWTroopers said:
Scott, this is what I do, with great results. I mix Groom and Clean with RC Hairdressing at a 1:1 ratio. Hold is just right (solid but not stiff). The other benefit is that the G&C seems to emulsify the RC so that it washes out completely with one washing. When I use strictly RC it usually took 3 washes.

This stuff sounds intriguing..... I like the idea of solid but not stiff.... when mine used to be pomped real high, I remember pulling out hairs trying to comb thru murrays.. not to mention getting it out of the hair!

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
brylcreem boy said:
SWTroopers said:
Scott, this is what I do, with great results. I mix Groom and Clean with RC Hairdressing at a 1:1 ratio. Hold is just right (solid but not stiff). The other benefit is that the G&C seems to emulsify the RC so that it washes out completely with one washing. When I use strictly RC it usually took 3 washes.

This stuff sounds intriguing..... I like the idea of solid but not stiff.... when mine used to be pomped real high, I remember pulling out hairs trying to comb thru murrays.. not to mention getting it out of the hair!

Brilliant. I'll try it. Thanks.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
royalcrownxp8.jpg
I'll add one more thought here. I made a discovery with Royal Crown a few months ago... There is actually a "Royal Crown Hair Dressing" and a "Royal Crown Pomade", you'll notice the difference in the can itself too. I agree with a few people's comments the Hair Dressing has a stinky smell to it, on the other hand the Pomade had a nice, clean, more tame barbershop smell to it. Texture wise the pomade is similar to Murray's Light and American Greaser Supply 40 weight. I had to go to a Barber supply store to find it, nice moveable hold and nice shine, it was excellent for giving a tight greaser slick on the sides and back.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
woodyinnyc said:
I have always used baking soda on wet hair to get pomades out. Works great. Also, really like Aveda custom controlo pomade, comes in a container that looks like deodorant. Make sure you are awake when you use it though, its pits in the pits!

lol

I've used that stuff and I did manage to glue my armpits shut when I mistook it for deodorant. My wife still laughs about that, and about the time I brushed my teeth with cat medicine.

6StringShooter

One of the Regulars
Well hello, fellow FLers! I have returned from my several months' hiatus with little more than a four year degree from the University of Florida to show for it :) . I'll be on here for a few weeks before I get started on my master's degree, so I thought i'd say howdy on my fav. old thread! I have thoroughly enjoyed reading some of yall's responses and I must say that I am intrigued at one phrase that caught my eye. I have been successfully using plain Murray's for a while now with just an ol' fashioned Ace comb. No brushes or nothing...just a heap of grease and a comb. I read something on here about a brand of pomade named "Sweet Georgia Brown" there seem to be three intensities of it. Which is closest to Murray's? I wonder which product will be the best for my hair...I plan to order some. I'm thinking of trying the ultra stiff one for my kinda hair! It's funny...Murray's comes out fairly easily in one washing...then again, my hair is like barbed wire. :D I've had a lot of success the way i've been doing it lately. I'll try and post pics as soon as I can. Thanks, and it's good to be back! :D

Salv

One Too Many
Sweet Georgia Brown in the blue tin is closest in texture to Murray's - thick and stiff with excellent hold. I haven't used Murray's for about 15 years, but from what I remember of it I think SGB blue isn't quite as stiff, and it washes out a little easier. SGB in the red tin is thinner and shinier, and I usually apply the blue first and shape my hair, then rub a little red between my palms and just slide it over the top layer of hair for some extra shine.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
6StringShooter said:
Well hello, fellow FLers! I have returned from my several months' hiatus with little more than a four year degree from the University of Florida to show for it :) . I'll be on here for a few weeks before I get started on my master's degree, so I thought i'd say howdy on my fav. old thread! I have thoroughly enjoyed reading some of yall's responses and I must say that I am intrigued at one phrase that caught my eye. I have been successfully using plain Murray's for a while now with just an ol' fashioned Ace comb. No brushes or nothing...just a heap of grease and a comb. I read something on here about a brand of pomade named "Sweet Georgia Brown" there seem to be three intensities of it. Which is closest to Murray's? I wonder which product will be the best for my hair...I plan to order some. I'm thinking of trying the ultra stiff one for my kinda hair! It's funny...Murray's comes out fairly easily in one washing...then again, my hair is like barbed wire. :D I've had a lot of success the way i've been doing it lately. I'll try and post pics as soon as I can. Thanks, and it's good to be back! :D

Howdy 6 String Shooter. Salv is right, the blue tin Sweet Georgia Brown is thickest, it is thinner than regular Murray's but still pretty firm, and the stuff has a awesome smell, the red is good for giving a good shiny top coat especially on the sides and back. I buy mine from a really cool shop online in Brooklyn called "Tomcats Barbershop" their prices are good and they shipped mine really fast. check em out on myspace at:

http://www.myspace.com/tomcatsbarbershop

6StringShooter

One of the Regulars
that is an awesome myspace page lol Occupation: Hippy slayer hahahaha I think that if Murray's is the thickest stuff out there, i'll stick to it then...My hair needs all the thick it can get heh I just wondered if the sweet georgia brown might have been thicker, that's all...

dostacos

Practically Family
what about Vitalis? Don Drysdale insisted it was NOT greasy lol when I was a kid we used BUTCH WAX to stand up the front of our flat tops, then it was the front and sides, then front and sides with butch wax and from the top edge to the ear it was combed back and brylcreemed, kind a weird, flat on top with a short fringe and below that what would be a normal haircut.

after reading this thread I am thinking of shaving my head.....well ok, I don't shave my face so I probably won't shave that either.

My dad used Listerine mouth wash on his hair, he thought it would keep him from losing his hair.

when he died he did still have his hair, but I think it is like snapping your fingers to keep the elephants away....works doesn't it?:D

LordJohnRoxton

One of the Regulars
brylcreem boy said:
Howdy 6 String Shooter. Salv is right, the blue tin Sweet Georgia Brown is thickest, it is thinner than regular Murray's but still pretty firm, and the stuff has a awesome smell, the red is good for giving a good shiny top coat especially on the sides and back. I buy mine from a really cool shop online in Brooklyn called "Tomcats Barbershop" their prices are good and they shipped mine really fast. check em out on myspace at:

http://www.myspace.com/tomcatsbarbershop

Murrays is great, but I find that I don't need a hold that firm... Crew is fine if mixed with Crew Fiber.

Jovan

Suspended
Hope no ones sticks their nose up at this, but if you want a good, modern, student-budget way to get a drier look than any of these products, Alberto V05 makes a product called "Play! It Again" Reworkable Putty. Now, that may sound a bit tacky, but I find it actually gives my hair some wonderful moisture, especially when I hadn't time to use conditioner in the morning. Your hair will also be very touchable by the ladies. Not from experience, mind you, but I've never felt an urge to wipe off my hands after doing so -- the stuff contains what they call a "five vitamin formula." If you use conditioner (which I think all men should) it'll especially give a great shine. It's also only about $2-3 for a 4oz tub, which isn't bad at all. It's lasted me months now, since you only need a bit to rub onto your palms and get cracking. I've been able to do both conservative and casual styles with this pretty easily. Hope this helps anyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran