Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PORTIS PATH

R.K.

New in Town
love my Portis!

gangster.jpg

40Cal

One Too Many
That is one fine lookin' lid, 40Cal! You've been posting some nice finds, lately. Are these newer acquisitions, or hats you've already got in the dock?

I got this one about two months ago...... maybe I'm stretching the definition of "New Hat" a little? I would post them in the "what are you wearing today" thread but have a severe allergy to pics of myself.

skydog757

A-List Customer
Acquired a Portis off of Ebay this week; like the majority described here it is indeed "filthy". I't a pork pie style, heathered black fur felt with 2" stitched brim. It has no liner or sticker/patch which brings my question; was it typical of Portis to not line their hats? Many that I've seen here are unlined with a Portis badge/patch stuck onto the inner center. I may eventually have a liner installed, but I was curious if there may have been one originally.

40Cal

One Too Many
I have several Portis hats. Some lined and some not. The unlined have a tipped in logo on the inside crown. I believe it is glued in. Should be some sign of residual glue or a shadow if your hat was originally liner-less.

rclark

Call Me a Cab
Portis Tissue-Lite acquired from a fellow Lounger last February. One of my favorite hats, and the liner is so cool even my wife likes it! (these are the Seller's photos)

skydog757

A-List Customer
I have several Portis hats. Some lined and some not. The unlined have a tipped in logo on the inside crown. I believe it is glued in. Should be some sign of residual glue or a shadow if your hat was originally liner-less.

After an initial brushing, there is some adhesive in a faint outline in the size/shape of some previous posts. So, question answered, thank you. Was there a correlation between the price and quality of the hat and whether a liner was installed, or was it more a matter of when the hat was made? Most finer hat manufacturers that I'm familiar with almost always installed a liner.

40Cal

One Too Many
I'm not sure if the liner-less hats were cheaper originally. I think they were attempting to make the hats lighter for hot weather use. Any pics of your Portis? I would love to see it!

skydog757

A-List Customer
I'm not sure if the liner-less hats were cheaper originally. I think they were attempting to make the hats lighter for hot weather use. Any pics of your Portis? I would love to see it!

Right now you probably wouldn't. It needs a thorough cleaning, new ribbon and bash; I got this for a very low Buy It Now. I will send the pics from ebay when I can access them at home.

I've been wanting to resurrect this thread for all these beautiful Portis hats since I first found it. I'll be wearing my Portis Tissue Weight to a holiday party tonight so I just had to get it out & take some pics to post. It's a light gray color but almost has a green tint in certain light. The ribbon is a medium gray also with a green tint at times (even when I haven't been drinking). The liner is the same as the one in rclark's above.

2ls8n14.jpg
123wsue.jpg
2ztfuqw.jpg
2wo9mkw.jpg
2moy43n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy