Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
Aged deep blue Summit

I have nine fedoras now. This is my latest, a Summit, a brand I don't know about. I wanted a black, dark-gray or deep-blue one to go with a dark-blue topcoat. Loves Saves the Day in New Hope had it. Passes for black in most light. The sweatband says it came from Meckley's Hat Co. Inc. on Mountain Home Road in Sinking Spring, Pa.

9486969517_ece27ac0f4.jpg

P. & C. Habig Wien, measures 59cm, probably 1930s. This is my first complete pre 1940s P. & C. Habig Wien soft felt so rare. It has hair grease discoloring on the liner but other than that it's in very good condition.

9497985470_178b201db8_b.jpg

9495199073_cc4f342824_b.jpg

9497933630_07495866ca_b.jpg

9497947542_a158126e78_b.jpg

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
Thanks, mayserwegener. The P. & C. Habig Wien hat reminds me that in the ’30s there were smaller fedoras like mine. Most ’30s-’40s hats are far too big for me; they’d look like Wild West Show hats. I’m small so my clothes – hats and ties – are circa 1960, halfway between wide ’40s and the too-stingy brims and shoestring ties of the mid-’60s. Got one ’60s suit so far with the right lapels and one early-’50s one too.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Steve and Justin, both are magnificent!

Hair grease, eh? I always wondered what caused that coloration.

Justin, I think that brim up with either crease-- side dents or front pinch-- works really well on ya!

Roger, Thanks! They are out there if you look. The larger sizes are more problematic.

Young Fogey, Thanks! I am focused on German and Austrian makers and I do find similar dimension hats from that time period. I think there is an over tendency here to pigeonhole brim and crown dimensions to specific eras. By the way I posted a photo of me wearing the hat in "What Hat Are You Wearing Today?" thread. It's a great hat to wear and I really like how it looks especially the brim flange.

Jeff, Thanks! It's only a guess. It looks like discoloration and not dirt. It also stops at the liner logo.

Last edited:

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Got this (had to go to the customs house to get it or it would take more 1 week until I get it at my hands), my first Nutria Stetson, color is like chocolate brown.
It have a "finger nail" cut on the crown but it's not very visible (6th picture). I'm not used to a tall crown like this with a 3 1/4 brim so I think it looks kind of weird on me.
It fits perfectly so it's a keeper for me.

nut01.jpg

nut02.jpg

nut03.jpg

nut04.jpg

nut05.jpg

nut06.jpg

nut07.jpg

nut08.jpg

EDIT: It have PARAMOUNT printed inside the sweat band and a 6 digit number. Is this normal?

Last edited:
Dobbs Boater

dobbsboater1.jpg

dobbsboater2.jpg

dobbsboater3.jpg

dobbsboater4.jpg

dobbsboater5.jpg

dobbsboater6.jpg

Unusual rolled edge is hollow and seamed invisibly on the underside of the brim. 2 3/8" brim is flexible and upward curved. 2 3/8" ribbon. Sold on eBay as a woman's hat, it was sold by a men's furnishing shop C.J. Mathis in Portland OR. References I found to this store in the trades are from mid 1920s and earlier. A non-Dobbs identified tag behind the sweatband shows the size and four digit number only. Very nicely made and in fine condition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112