Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Purplesage

One Too Many
Very nice G.Durand. I posted some photos of a thin ribbon Borso I got a while back on the Borsalio thread. Mine is a bit lighter almost like Silverbelly. The hat would be NM except for the foxing on the liner.

photo1-299_zps842deb75.jpg

photo1-300_zps01e4d612.jpg

photo3-268_zpsc551c2f4.jpg

e1b083f1-7fe8-49da-b0a2-710d9294e704_zpsb198f07c.jpg

Last edited:

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
>I posted some photos of a thin ribbon Borso I got a while back on the Borsalio thread. Mine is a bit lighter almost like Silverbelly. The hat would be NM except for the foxing on the liner.<

photo1-299_zps842deb75.jpg

Just outstanding! If a better hat was ever built, I couldn't name it, nice find! :thumb:

Found this stingy brim Dobbs at a local antique store for $24.00. 2" Grossgrain ribbon, 1 5/8" brim, 4 1/2" crown. I don't know much about Dobbs hats. Anyone have any info on manufacture date? Thanks!

20140203_133517.jpg 20140203_133542.jpg 20140203_133605.jpg 20140203_133613.jpg 20140203_133647_resized.jpg 20140203_133634_resized.jpg
20140203_133726_resized.jpg

Last edited:

bond

Nice vintage borso Michael ,color and hat looks familiar.
David yours too is nice looking vintage. Difference in liner is Michaels is silk yours is not. The clue is in angle of seam where it's sewn. On Michaels hat seam is on angle and the silk ones were almost all like this, where David's is the newer version and the seam is straight, almost all of this type are acetate type not silk.

Good info and observation about the liners on the two Borsos Scott.

Not sure it is correct. Hard to be sure from the photos, but both hats appear to have acetate linings like this one:

borso_western_inside.jpg

Some Borsos appear to be lined in raw silk, but it may very well also be rayon:

kleinhansborso5.jpg

Would probably require a burn test or someone with better knowledge of fabric than me to get a positive ID.

bond

Blue borso liner is silk, at least I would bet on that . And yes Alan I would bet as a rule about the diagonal seam on vintage borso liners . The many I ve owned seem to follow that trend. The straight seam seems to come after ,later than the diagonal seam and are more of an acetate.

Difference in liner is Michaels is silk yours is not. The clue is in angle of seam where it's sewn. On Michaels hat seam is on angle and the silk ones were almost all like this, where David's is the newer version and the seam is straight, almost all of this type are acetate type not silk.

Not sure on the chronology of the hats you refer to or where the hat below (which I once owned) fits in the timeline... it does have a diagonal seam and does not have a silk liner. I would also guess that many of the liners we (myself included) might be tempted to describe as silky are actually rayon.

alle1_4.jpg

borso_western_label.jpg

Last edited:

bond

Well then I guess there's exceptions to that thought , Cheesy liners with diagonal seams are out there .
I try to collect the silk variety so that's what I am used to seeing and where I got my rule of thumb to follow. Thanks for clarity.

Purplesage

One Too Many
Would there be any date that Borsalino switched from a straight seam to a diagonal seam or a transitional period. I have also noticed that more Euro model Borsalinos appear to have reeded sweatbands whereas most of the older Borsalinos in the US market have unreeded sweatbands. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Would there be any date that Borsalino switched from a straight seam to a diagonal seam or a transitional period. I have also noticed that more Euro model Borsalinos appear to have reeded sweatbands whereas most of the older Borsalinos in the US market have unreeded sweatbands. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't know.

It is very tempting, in our desire to understand and put things in order, to make generalizations from our experience. But we have to remember that we see only a tiny fraction of the production of any hat maker... even the most popular.

iceberg%2B1.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy