Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nickn5

One of the Regulars
Mallory Fedora first hat and first post!

Hi all,

My first post here and I'll start with my purchase of 10th December from Ebay that has now resulted in my owning an additional four hats... of which I'll post pics after this one...

It is a Mallory Fedora, and looked nice, which is why I bought it, but I am clueless as to what material it is or even what age it is, other than 'vintage'. Any experts out there who can cast some light on my puzzled countenance?

It cost me $33 (and the same again to get it posted to UK :( )

DSC02745.jpg

DSC02746.jpg

It has a 1 3/4" brim, pretty narrow for a fedora I'd guess. Also the 'bash' looks as if it might be in the wrong place, any ideas?

Cheers,

Nicholas.

lincoln1965

New in Town
New Fedora

Nicholas,

That is a very nice fedora! I remember seeing it on ebay. It looks to be
fur felt of some kind. The color is very sharp. I like the bash the way it is.
Good ebay score if you ask me.

lincoln1965

New in Town
Guinness said:
I just purchased an Akubra Stylemaster in carbon grey color off ebay and have not received it yet. It is shown in my avatar. I hope to attach some more photos for your consideration and comments. This is my first post. Thanks
Akubra1.jpg

Akubra.jpg

Akubra2.jpg

I hope this works!!

Guinness,

I really like the Akubras! It looks like you selected a beautiful one.

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
I kept putting off taking pics and uploading to Photobucket, so here are the five new hats (my first fur felt brimmed hats ever) I've acquired in the last couple of months:

Received Nov. 12 from Hats Direct in Australia, a tawny fawn Fed IV and a cruiser grey CEO for my birthday. Fed IV is open crown; bashed it into a teardrop:

TFFedIV1.jpg
CEO4.jpg

An Akubra David Morgan Adventurer bought at the DM showroom on Nov. 28, an early Christmas gift from my stepson. It's also open crown; bashed it into a C-crown:

DMAdvntrer1.jpg

My extra special anniversary + Christmas present, a moonstone Fed IV Deluxe received Dec. 29. Bashed it into a center crease/front pinch like my daddy wore his mid-grey fedoras:

MnstneFedIVDlx1.jpg

And my acquisition from yesterday from another trip to the DM showroom: a Bushman (also open crown) for a great price because it was a mfr's sample prior to finalizing the color for the production run. Steamed and bashed it today into an elongated diamond with long side dents. Sort of a halfway point between a C-crown and a cattleman's crease:

DMBushman2.jpg

Boodles

A-List Customer
Sport-Lite Doesn't Fit

Bummer GoneSolo. If you find that you have no use for a 7-1/8 Sport-Lite that doesn't fit please remember these two things: PM and Boodles. A solution to your woe can probably be arranged.

What a wonderful collection of newbie hats, sir.

GoneSolo said:
Dman, jimmy, spiridon: Thanks! The only one that doesn't fit is the Sport-Lite; its a 7 1/8.:eek:

rrog

A-List Customer
nickn5, other than the shipping, I'd say you did well on eBay. I consider shipping costs to merely be part of the price you pay for getting what you want. It goes with the territory. I agree with lincoln1965, I'd keep the hat with that bash.

And welcome to the lounge.

rrog

carter

I'll Lock Up
UWS Cowboy, Can you post a photo of the crown of that Stetson Twenty Five? I'd like to see your bash. Nice hat.

Nicholas, Your Mallory is definitely a fur felt. That's a very nice look. The crease looks fine to me and the wide ribbon is superb. Mallory's are wonderful vintage hats. Well done.

Mr P, Guinness, & JB53, Nice Akubras all.

nickn5

One of the Regulars
Christy's Fur Felt

Thanks lincoln1965, rrog and carter for the help and kind welcome - I agree that even with postage, $60 for that hat was well worth paying.

Now, my next acquisition is a rather strange one. Marketed as a trilby but looking like a fedora to me, with 2.5" brim, and fur felt, brand new, for just 49 UKP or $80, I couldn't resist it. Made by Christy's of London, here are a couple of pics:

DSC02743.jpg

DSC02744.jpg

Must admit it may become my favourite hat... :D

Nicholas.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
nickn5--Nice Christy. That grey seems to go with many different clothing styles and colors. I favor the wider brims so I like the looks of that one over your Mallory, but it is a nice hat. I am awaiting shipment of my firt E-bay hat and it is a Mallory also. I hope it is as nice as yours.

TonyTaylor

New in Town
My Newest Hat

Picked up this Jet off of ebay. Since thi is just my second hat I am learning as I am going. But the hat looks great on my head and it is clean so I cant compain since I paid less than $30. Had to work the brim a bit but it looks great now. Any tips since I am new at this and really not having much luck finding a summer hat (other than a panama )would be great.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=220341769809

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
nickn5, I really like that Christy's. Great hat. I'm waiting for an Akubra Stylemaster, similar color. If it's the hat that I think it is, it might become my favorite hat, too.

billyspew

One Too Many
nickn5 said:
Marketed as a trilby but looking like a fedora to me

Nicholas.

You'll see that in a lot of hats in British shops, they call pretty much fedoras a trilby other than their widest brimmed one. I walked into Bates' and asked for a black fedora and the salesman looked at me incredulously and said "Are you sure?", I came out with a 2.5" brimmed "trilby".

Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael