Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tommyK

One Too Many
Add me to the chorus, Rick. Who needs the Open Road name if it gets you that beautiful hat and that color!

I was unaware of the Royal "Stetson" Deluxe distinction as well. Going to look for that now.

rclark

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Mike, Harv, Tommy and Dale!

Tommy, I agree. It is an open road in all ways but labeled on the sweatband. I'm curious as to why Stetson labeled some as "Open Road" and withheld that label from others when it is the same model hat.

tommyK

One Too Many
Rick, I think they ran out of Open Road sweatbands that day and the guy that did them was out sick or something.

Or perhaps it dates from a time of transition from the old wider ribbon Open Road of the thirties and the later thin ribbon that comes in the late forties? We know from old catalogs this style of hat was made by many hatmakers before Stetson named it the Open Road.

Guardian Enzo

One of the Regulars
Here's a new fedora from D'aquino, the hatmaker Luisa Texieria on Etsy. Fur felt shipped from Portugal with a FEPSA body for under $100 shipped. This one is beaver, because she said she couldn't find one matching the color I wanted in rabbit (no extra charge). For the record, what I asked for was a replica of a 40's Stetson Flagship, and I think I got pretty close - it's what I would call an interpretation rather than a photocopy. Overall quality is excellent, especially for the money.

IMG_2132.jpg IMG_2133.jpg IMG_2128.jpg IMG_2134.jpg IMG_2121.jpg IMG_2120.jpg IMG_2119.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting, Enzo. I've been dying to see what you received, and the closeups you posted yesterday (of the felt dents) were just teasing. I sent her a note yesterday with my "particulars." I should close my deal in a day or two.

Guardian Enzo

One of the Regulars
Thanks for posting, Enzo. I've been dying to see what you received, and the closeups you posted yesterday (of the felt dents) were just teasing. I sent her a note yesterday with my "particulars." I should close my deal in a day or two.

Much more detail on the experience and particulars in the Daquino thread, Frunobulax...

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Good afternoon. In preparation for the warmer months I have been searching for woven hats. Today's acquisition is a panama from Ecuadorian Panama Hat Co. It is marked Supernatural Tulcan Panama. The leather band notes it is made exclusively for Lewis and Thos. Saltz, Washington D.C. It is a gorgeous vintage panama.

i-vZsvs6G-S.jpg
i-Qv22vGn-S.jpg

i-p5KBMKJ-M.jpg

i-wpJgjJm-M.jpg

Best, Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys. The panama is in great shape for an oldster. My challenge is that it fits "big." I am not sure how to proceed. The hat is special enough to work out this difficulty.

Alan, I have seen other supernaturals on the forum. Suggestions as to inquire/find out more about that label? I start to work some google searches on the forum later this evening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana