Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

javadave61

Practically Family
DUH! Sorry, Dave. I was looking at the Campdraft, not the OR. Next time I'm there, I will take a look at the OR. In the meantime, I like this one:
http://www.jjhatcenter.com/collections/felt-hats/products/the-explorer-in-brown OR maybe silverbelly, or fawn, or grey, or...........
R
That's a beautiful hat. I saw a few like that at the Stetson outlet. Like the Roadmaster, I believe.

The Campdraft and OR are the same dimensions, in most cases. (Vintage OR's can vary). As I learned here. Akubra used to make Stetson's OR. Today, however, the modern Campdraft is far superior to the modern OR.

RobertM

Familiar Face
That's a beautiful hat. I saw a few like that at the Stetson outlet. Like the Roadmaster, I believe.

The Campdraft and OR are the same dimensions, in most cases. (Vintage OR's can vary). As I learned here. Akubra used to make Stetson's OR. Today, however, the modern Campdraft is far superior to the modern OR.

Interesting! Such an iconic American hat like the OR, made elsewhere. Why is the newer CD better than the OR?

R

javadave61

Practically Family
Interesting! Such an iconic American hat like the OR, made elsewhere. Why is the newer CD better than the OR?

R
The modern OR felt is ridiculously stiff, meaning that the crown can't be changed (easily) from its stock crease, the cattleman's crease.

The Campdraft, on the other hand, comes open crown, has much better felt, and much less stiffener. It can be shaped into any crease. It's much more like the original OR was. The original OR was designed for you to shape it the way you want.

Knotten

Practically Family
Robert, that Premiere Strat looks great on you. I have that same hat, also in Cornhill (I'm wearing it in my avatar). I just wore it on my vacation. Even when the weather got a little hot, it felt comfortable to me. You don't necessarily have to wait 'til fall.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
The CD or FED IV are about as versatile as you can find short of custom,imo.

completely agree

one could argue that having one of each and them being your only hats would get you through most any occasion from yard work to business meetings to weddings and everything in between including inclement weather

Robert the Strat looks great on you ... and I am willing to bet that within 3 more months or so of hanging around here your brims will get wider and your crowns will get taller .

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
completely agree

one could argue that having one of each and them being your only hats would get you through most any occasion from yard work to business meetings to weddings and everything in between including inclement weather

Robert the Strat looks great on you ... and I am willing to bet that within 3 more months or so of hanging around here your brims will get wider and your crowns will get taller .

Weird how that happens, but it really does.

RobertM

Familiar Face
Thanks Gentlemen.

I posted something similar in another thread, but are these hats - CD, OR or the Strat for that matter, suitable for inclement weather? I'm not talking about a monsoon, but I'm thinking getting caught in moderate rain or snow - without the umbrella, and standing up to that.

R

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Thanks Gentlemen.

I posted something similar in another thread, but are these hats - CD, OR or the Strat for that matter, suitable for inclement weather? I'm not talking about a monsoon, but I'm thinking getting caught in moderate rain or snow - without the umbrella, and standing up to that.

R

Akubras will certainly stand up to weather. There are stories of other modern hats not doing as well in the rain, but I think it's luck of the draw, with some being fine.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, the Akubras are hats you can wear in any weather. As for straws, in my neck of the woods it can go from blue skies and sunny to black armegeddon in minutes,, so I'm finding the Sunbody hats an extremely good investment. The rain doesn't affect them at all.

CONELRAD

One of the Regulars
I stopped by the HatCo Outlet in Garland yesterday and picked up these two...

This beautiful silverbelly "Special Edition"...
IMG_02590.JPG IMG_02550.JPG

and this fuzzy Royal De Luxe.
IMG_02570.JPG IMG_02580.JPG

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Scored this cap at a thrift store today. It's only my second 8 dart. Tag says 7 1/8, but it fits my 7 3/8 head perfectly.
e5ab3446564b56bafcf813686d628aa9.jpg
db7ab8c39e299df20039d2e1c58e2ff0.jpg
0dcc54ec9546b1bb5a7fed39a270ec62.jpg

Great for those windy days when a brimmed lid might take flight.

tommyK

One Too Many
CONELRAD, those are some great catches as well. I hope to see them go into production. I can never find vintage fuzzy long hair hats in my size.

Moe, nice cap as well! Shows it pays to try these on just in case! Also good to have windy day back ups.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy