Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Hello gents. Not had opportunity to post here really, with not having many felt hats, but I found a beauty. It was all crumpled up in a vintage shop, and I managed to get it for £8 (I guess that's about $12?). With a steam and massage it came up absolutely immaculate. The photos don't do the colour justice - it is a slate grey, with a lovely silver ribbon that has two trailing ends. I don't know the maker myself, but i was hoping some of you fellows could identify it? 'Marke Greif', so I don't know if that's German or Austrian? I have assumed 1950s from the style, but I guess it could potentially be a spot earlier. The lining and the leather sweatband are in great condition, and are not cracked or dry at all.

If I get chance tomorrow I shall take better pictures in better light.

Reads: 'Greif-Chamois'

Label inside the hat band:

Thanks for any info gents!

eb0b8687107f61587b3e7a64e466b9a5.jpg

f59ba94a1879ac64df3f7b9694b13fec.jpg

218a47f2d24c6847434420283bf50dc6.jpg

Found this in the thrift store this morning for $6. Nice springy weave and light as air.

Eddie, super score!

Dale, that is a sweet looking Dobbs Milan, man. Love the pug, and you got a heck of a deal as well. I have never had any kind of luck around here in the thrift stores.

I've been able to avoid the hat threads on TFL until the last few weeks. This is not going to end well I'm sure. :eusa_doh:

Dale -- the Dobbs looked very familiar so I had to do a bit of digging. It is very close to my wife's late Granddad's "summer-go-to-church" hat.

It is too small for me unfortunately.

21659774460_6f623403a0_z.jpg

21660952569_1b2c3f29b2_z.jpg

21821693266_96d5c8b309_z.jpg

CONELRAD

One of the Regulars
I just got this beautiful Borsalino in the mail today.

I know next to nothing about dating Borsalinos, so I'm interested to know when you folks think it was made. Crown is around 6 1/2 inches open, brim is 2 1/4 inches.
IMG_04240.JPG
IMG_04260.JPG

Also, I can't figure out this wind trolley, does anyone around here know how to fasten it correctly? I know how they usually work, but I've never seen one like this before.
IMG_04220.JPG

Great looking Borsalino! Is the cord elastic? If so it could have been stretched so you can shorten the cord (so the button aligns with where the cord is attached) or put a loop on the end after the button and snake the cord through (similar to a lasou).

Last edited:

CONELRAD

One of the Regulars
Great looking Borsalino! Is the cord elastic? If so it could have been stretched so you can shorten the cord (so the button aligns with where the cord is attached) or put a loop on the end after the button and snake the cord through (similar to a lasou).

Thanks, I was able to loosen the knot on the back of the button to make a loop and do as you suggested.

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
Thank you, the second one was actually worn in show by a sidesaddle competitor in the 50's. Although I very much doubt anyone would call me out on wearing a ladies hat when out and about:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran