Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
If I can interject. I have both grades. My last (abt 3 mos ago) was the standard grade and it's much stiffer than my Deluxe. So all I can suggest is the standard grade that they're shipping now may be stiffer then some Deluxe grades.

in my experiences there is absolutely no consistency when it comes to imperial and heritage and which is softer or lighter etc etc

I can only speak on my own personal experiences obviously ... but I do have multiple hats in both grades

for example

my Fed IV heritage quality is softer than my Tawny CD
but then my BGG CD is much softer than my Silverbelly heritage CD

to me both are really nice quality felt and the only consistent difference I can find is in the sweat

the Heritage grade seems to have a higher quality sweat

in my experiences there is absolutely no consistency when it comes to imperial and heritage and which is softer or lighter etc etc

I can only speak on my own personal experiences obviously ... but I do have multiple hats in both grades

for example

to me both are really nice quality felt and the only consistent difference I can find is in the sweat

Well said. I have had the same experience.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Haven't purchased a hat in a long time but couldn't pass this one up today. Nice soft Trimble with an unreeded sweatband. Over welt brim, neat ribbon.
4902d656f338816970649143d002736a.jpg

2581e5ab12ee3ef2b5fae61f42de38ce.jpg

426f3445c84f33ed884a1b2d070d4cb0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up

for example

And if I may add... my 2 Imperial grade Camp Drafts (manufactured abt a year ago) are both stiffer than my Deluxe grade Fed... but not nearly as stiff as my recently made Imperial grade Fed. Sooooooooo... if u got the xtra bucks to spend, I believe you should stay away (unless you prefer STIFF) from the Imperial grade Fed and spend the xtra $$$ and get the Deluxe. It does have a nicer sweat as Mr Moon sez.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bob: Did you get the standard or the deluxe felt on your Fed? I have been vacillating for months now and cannot decide which way to jump.
Thx,
I had originally asked for the standard (Imperial) felt but was informed that HD was out of that one in my size, so I ordered the Deluxe. I must say that it's very soft (not at all squishy) and silky. Just an incredibly comfortable hat.

Bob, its weird, but the CD I got a few months back in the Deluxe version from them is very stiff and is only now beginning to loosen up a tiny bit, while my other Imperial CD (from EA) that I've had for some time is very soft. I remember Zombie saying recently that it depends on the starch amount in a particular batch, and I'd have to agree with him. I think that after awhile, and with the help of some rain and a lot of wear, they become softer but the felt remains firm, unlike a Borsalino I got a few years back that feels thin and (can't think of another word) squishy.

tropicalbob

Moon, you're dead right about those leather sweatbands on the Heritage Akubras. They feel wonderful, especially when you first put them on.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I had originally asked for the standard (Imperial) felt but was informed that HD was out of that one in my size, so I ordered the Deluxe. I must say that it's very soft (not at all squishy) and silky. Just an incredibly comfortable hat.

Bob, its weird, but the CD I got a few months back in the Deluxe version from them is very stiff and is only now beginning to loosen up a tiny bit, while my other Imperial CD (from EA) that I've had for some time is very soft. I remember Zombie saying recently that it depends on the starch amount in a particular batch, and I'd have to agree with him. I think that after awhile, and with the help of some rain and a lot of wear, they become softer but the felt remains firm, unlike a Borsalino I got a few years back that feels thin and (can't think of another word) squishy.
I'm starting to think that their curent Fed offerings in the Imperial grade are stiffer then in the past.

I have a number of Borsalinos from the 70's (my guess) up into the mid 90's) and I kind of like the squishy nature of the felts. Having said that they are not my foul weather hats, I leave that to my newer Akubras. I picked up a CD in bluegrass as I liked the look as I see it in the members pics but I can't get used to how it looks on me. It just seems too broad brimmed and high crowned. Weird as I think it looks so good on others....my weird hat/body dismorphia?? But undeterred I want to try a Fed. Leaning toward the standard due to economy but then I think I likely will only buy one so why not get the Deluxe right off the bat? My weirdness, I know. One day soon I will take the plunge.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I have a number of Borsalinos from the 70's (my guess) up into the mid 90's) and I kind of like the squishy nature of the felts. Having said that they are not my foul weather hats, I leave that to my newer Akubras. I picked up a CD in bluegrass as I liked the look as I see it in the members pics but I can't get used to how it looks on me. It just seems too broad brimmed and high crowned. Weird as I think it looks so good on others....my weird hat/body dismorphia?? But undeterred I want to try a Fed. Leaning toward the standard due to economy but then I think I likely will only buy one so why not get the Deluxe right off the bat? My weirdness, I know. One day soon I will take the plunge.
That CD crown should be putty in your hands. Lower it and change the bash/crease till it appears more to your liking. Play around. If the brim appears too broad place the hat on a towel on a flat surface then mist the entire top surface of the brim with distilled water till saturated. The brim should curl up evenly and the flange will deepen nicely giving the entire brim a much shorter appearance. It worked nicely for me. Also keep in mind the dimensional brim on the Fed (front and back) is about the same size as the Camp Draft.

Rogera

Moon, you're dead right about those leather sweatbands on the Heritage Akubras. They feel wonderful, especially when you first put them on.
I definitely like the Heritage sweats better although I do prefer the imperial felt. My imperials are definitely softer than my heritage but my heritage has softened up considerably. I tell you what modern hat has a nice sweat is my premiere Stratoliner.

That CD crown should be putty in your hands. Lower it and change the bash/crease till it appears more to your liking. Play around. If the brim appears too broad place the hat on a towel on a flat surface then mist the entire top surface of the brim with distilled water till saturated. The brim should curl up evenly and the flange will deepen nicely giving the entire brim a much shorter appearance. It worked nicely for me. Also keep in mind the dimensional brim on the Fed (front and back) is about the same size as the Camp Draft.

Thank you, that is great advice. It is a great hat and whenever I look at it I cringe for ignoring it. Will let you know how it works out.

tropicalbob

I definitely like the Heritage sweats better although I do prefer the imperial felt. My imperials are definitely softer than my heritage but my heritage has softened up considerably. I tell you what modern hat has a nice sweat is my premiere Stratoliner.
That's yet another reason for me to look longingly at the Premier Strat. The Sage is just beautiful, but I only see one in my Martian size once in a millenia.

I'm starting to think that their curent Fed offerings in the Imperial grade are stiffer then in the past.
Not too long ago (early last year, perhaps?) I recall reading reports that Akubra was having some difficulties obtaining the rabbit and hare fur they use to make their felts, and that they were going to have to seek out additional suppliers. I don't want to start any rumors, but I'm wondering if they've noticed a difference in the felts because of this, and that their solution is/was to use more stiffener?

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Not too long ago (early last year, perhaps?) I recall reading reports that Akubra was having some difficulties obtaining the rabbit and hare fur they use to make their felts, and that they were going to have to seek out additional suppliers. I don't want to start any rumors, but I'm wondering if they've noticed a difference in the felts because of this, and that their solution is/was to use more stiffener?
Yes those same reports come to mind as a possible reason for ending up with a "different" hat. One change leads to another change effecting the final product.

I remember reading the same thing. They were going to start sourcing from Europe, and not Oz.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW