Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
she already left good feedback before I even received the item

Surprising.
It seems to be pretty standard policy among most eBay sellers not to leave feedback for the buyer until they receive positive feedback themselves, so as to have their "revenge" and possibly have their potential negative feedback "removed by mutual agreement", (a phrase that should serve as a warning if you see it too often in a seller's feedback history).

She sounds like at least a half-way honest person, so you may well get all of your money back.

I gave up on eBay years ago, as I got tired of the aggravation of dealing with the 5% of eBay sellers who were just outright thieves that never sent me my purchases and threatened to leave negative feedback for me if I complained, and then did so when I didn't relent.

Last edited:

buler

I'll Lock Up
Moon, sorry about the Turf Club. They don't turn up very often. By the look of the sweatband in the auction photo, perhaps the hat was exposed to a fair amount of heat. The leather sweat has that puckered look like the felt has shrunk quite a bit. Just a guess. I've never seen a 1/4 marked hat be anything other than a 7 1/4.

B

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Moon, sorry about the Turf Club. They don't turn up very often. By the look of the sweatband in the auction photo, perhaps the hat was exposed to a fair amount of heat. The leather sweat has that puckered look like the felt has shrunk quite a bit. Just a guess. I've never seen a 1/4 marked hat be anything other than a 7 1/4.

B

Thanks buler
I can't imagine this much shrinkage... It currently measures under size 7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
With that much shrinkage, you'd think there would be some distortion somewhere on the hat. Or a wonky brim.

yeah .... as you can see .. from the outside the hat is pretty much perfect ... which is painful

it is possible that the sweat has shrunk a bit ... but no way it shrunk from a 7 1/4 to under a 7 ... no way in hell

I was so looking forward to this hat

I would not be surprised to see this hat pop back up on ebay as 7 1/4 because she is adamant about is being so

be warned potential buyers it is not

so if you are a tight 7 this is your piece

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
If my estimate, based on width and length, is correct, the felt would have shrunk about 5 (five!) sizes. Looking at the ribbon and wind trolley, I don't find that realistic.

Probably a little far fetched, but could the manufacturing label give more clues? Does the crown depth of the label match the actual depth of the crown?

Also the block number may be found in our thread on Stetson blocks (http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/stetson-block-profile-numbers.62324/). If so, does the crown profile of any accompanying images match the profile of your hat?

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
If my estimate, based on width and length, is correct, the felt would have shrunk about 5 (five!) sizes. Looking at the ribbon and wind trolley, I don't find that realistic.

Probably a little far fetched, but could the manufacturing label give more clues? Does the crown depth of the label match the actual depth of the crown?

Also the block number may be found in our thread on Stetson blocks (http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/stetson-block-profile-numbers.62324/). If so, does the crown profile of any accompanying images match the profile of your hat?
The hat is already boxed up and about to be shipped back .
I should have investigated all that stuff but did not want to dig around under the sweat to much for risk of damaging something and not getting my money back .
The sweat was a little dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah .... as you can see .. from the outside the hat is pretty much perfect ... which is painful

it is possible that the sweat has shrunk a bit ... but no way it shrunk from a 7 1/4 to under a 7 ... no way in hell

I was so looking forward to this hat

I would not be surprised to see this hat pop back up on ebay as 7 1/4 because she is adamant about is being so

be warned potential buyers it is not

so if you are a tight 7 this is your piece

I really feel for you. Your disappointment is palpable.

John Wesley

New in Town
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I just bought this beauty. An old JJ Hat Center Valencia, made in italy. Extremely comfortable, light, soft. Excellant condition for its age.

Panadora

Practically Family
Sorry I was a little distracted yesterday
To busy with the actual sizes and making pictures, sorry!
The thing is that the actual numbers from Anthony made me busy measuring up some of my existing hats to compare them with both Anthony's and a little gray 6.3/4 offered on ebay (one that I previously had doomed based on the size tag - not measurements).
I realized that the gray one actually looked quite promising and ended up making an offer.
All this talk about Anthony's purchase had obviously sparked some interest (size question asked and answered) so I was quite surprised to find my modest offer accepted.
s-l1600ab.jpg

Gray with navy blue ribbon and trolly acording to seller
s-l1600ag.jpg

Hope it'll stretch!

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Sorry I was a little distracted yesterday

The thing is that the actual numbers from Anthony made me busy measuring up some of my existing hats to compare them with both Anthony's and a little gray 6.3/4 offered on ebay (one that I previously had doomed based on the size of my own hat - not measurements).
I realized that the gray one actually looked quite promising and ended up making an offer.
All this talk about Anthony's purchase had obviously sparked some interest (size question asked and answered) so I was quite surprised to find my modest offer accepted.
s-l1600ab.jpg

Gray with navy blue ribbon and trolly acording to seller
s-l1600ag.jpg

Hope it'll stretch!

how much does it need to stretch ?

I wouldn't push it too much

tommyK

One Too Many
I'm with Moon on this. If I've got a vintage hat in my size that is a little tight I may give it a stretch but I wouldn't try to push it to a bigger size. Sometimes you can get away with it though. YMMV

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I'm with Moon on this. If I've got a vintage hat in my size that is a little tight I may give it a stretch but I wouldn't try to push it to a bigger size. Sometimes you can get away with it though. YMMV

I've learned the hard way too many times splitting an old sweat ... and those stitches holding that sweat in can be very brittle on a hat from the 1940s.. even if the sweat is in great shape ... we are talking about thread here

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou