Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Thanks Luv! I may just have to look for one of those boxes so I can keep it protected.
I think that the main issue with the Petersham vs. a straight edged grosgrain is just a matter of traditional use on women's vs. men's hats. I like a straight edge better but it's a very minor issue. I'm not going to mess with original equipment on a hat this nice if I don't need to.:)
Yep I sure do understand about things being original on some super nice vintage hats. I think when it comes to having something made, however, to then dibble dabble with different colors and textures of ribbons can actually make a hat so one of a kind. I also think (we at times maybe do not think of this but I know some do here) at a point in time when we are mere dust to the wind, maybe a hundred or so years down the road...can you imagine even some of these vintage hats we love so much still being worn by others that love the look like we do? Imagine someone even finding some of our Customs we have had made!?! I can see someone opening a box, and pulling out a hat made by some of our own resident Custom Hatters...and having that wide ear to ear smile just like we do when we find a gem like the Flagship hat you have been lucky enough to grab up! I do not see why this would not be the case! For now, we here in our home do treasure every single fedora and cap! How blessed are we to own the fedora hats we do! A few customs from sources closer to home and now from what the charming Esther has made...and waiting for more to show up at the door.

My Husband even when his health/medical condition could just not get much worse, continues to have such a wonderful spirit each day and no loss of a sense of humor! He says, it is the hats! The hats for us adults is the older version of Santa...you as a child have to wait for Santa and that wait has you in bed with one eye open just waiting for Santa to slide down the chimney and bring you all your desired goodies...but now...we are adults...we wait around with both eyes open and wait...for that person wearing a uniform to bring us all the goodies we desire...the next hat find! How very true!

Cap_7597

A-List Customer
Here are some cell phone pics I was able to download from my old Samsung SII. This is the Dobbs Temptation I recieved in the mail recently.

i-hdPsKFK-L.jpg

i-3vTgFm2-XL.jpg

i-QN77bmz-XL.jpg

i-gDZtsDh-XL.jpg

I don't own any yet, but I'm a big Dobbs fan (that's all my Granddaddy wore) Great Temptation Fed!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

makitright

One of the Regulars
Yep I sure do understand about things being original on some super nice vintage hats. I think when it comes to having something made, however, to then dibble dabble with different colors and textures of ribbons can actually make a hat so one of a kind. I also think (we at times maybe do not think of this but I know some do here) at a point in time when we are mere dust to the wind, maybe a hundred or so years down the road...can you imagine even some of these vintage hats we love so much still being worn by others that love the look like we do? Imagine someone even finding some of our Customs we have had made!?! I can see someone opening a box, and pulling out a hat made by some of our own resident Custom Hatters...and having that wide ear to ear smile just like we do when we find a gem like the Flagship hat you have been lucky enough to grab up! I do not see why this would not be the case! For now, we here in our home do treasure every single fedora and cap! How blessed are we to own the fedora hats we do! A few customs from sources closer to home and now from what the charming Esther has made...and waiting for more to show up at the door.

My Husband even when his health/medical condition could just not get much worse, continues to have such a wonderful spirit each day and no loss of a sense of humor! He says, it is the hats! The hats for us adults is the older version of Santa...you as a child have to wait for Santa and that wait has you in bed with one eye open just waiting for Santa to slide down the chimney and bring you all your desired goodies...but now...we are adults...we wait around with both eyes open and wait...for that person wearing a uniform to bring us all the goodies we desire...the next hat find! How very true!

I love this, heritage of hat appreciation! I often fantasize about where my hats have been, who wore them and what their lives were like. Protracting my hat's history onto future generations with my ownership added gives them a sense of "legacy". I would only hope they won't be found by a future hatophile in a thrift store or Goodwill, maybe I need to change my will.

I was thinking about this recently, especially after receiving my new Gannon on Thursday. The two hats I have gotten from Gus Miller (one custom) have my initials stamped in gold on the sweatband, just as many of my vintage hats have the original owner's initials. When looking at these hats, I'm sure many of us would like to know a little about who "CJK" or "PW" are. IN one instance, I have a hat that I was able to find out about at least the last owner from her daughter (Grandma Anna's Royal Stetson). However, the hats I'm getting from Mr. Gannon have my full name in them. Someday, when I'm dust in the wind, I guess some hat collector will pick up my hat at an estate sale or on an auction site and look at the name and think, "Who was this guy?"

So they'll Google me and think they got a hat from a Washington Post reporter.

...or perhaps a registered sex offender (sigh)

I don't show up for 10 Google pages anymore, and that's my Etsy profile. Before that reporter came along, I'd at least have an old conference briefing show up in the first few pages.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I found this Pilgrim today at the Goodwill mixed in with the costume Halloween hats.
P1200347 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
P1200349 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
P1200337 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr

I'm a happy camper.

Michael

That is a BIG PAY OFF ! KILLER Pilgrim , Pilgrim (*Duke speak) .

A Mackey. Not custom made for me. The name seems to be someone living in Florida.
mackey01.jpg

mackey02.jpg

mackey03.jpg

mackey04.jpg

mackey05.jpg

mackey06.jpg

mackey07.jpg

I think I'll email Mackey to know a bit of detail on this hat.
Brim is 4 1/2" and crown 5" as creased.

Did you know the Largest Cattle Ranch in the US is in FL ?! I know a guy that I used to haul hay with as a kid that works there , now . Nice Mackey Joao ! I'm sure my first Custom Western will be a Mackey , 99.44% Sure .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy