Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Great job Jim!

awesome job Jim

Love the ribbon contrast!

Thanks guyz. It's a satisfying result, even if my sewing skills are dicey. I still need to work on sewing a sweatband together at the back. It looks horrible (sorta like it was done by Michael J. Fox with an assist from Stevie Wonder). I have a stash of ribbon for projects, and this almost wound up on my latest Granite Gannon.

Now that I have a 52, I want to tackle a new Winchester body. But only after I get better at this sewing thing.

Miklo

New in Town
P1010007-vi.jpg

P1010008-vi.jpg

P1010009-vi.jpg

P1010011-vi.jpg

1-vi.jpg
What a beautiful hat, I am so jealous.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Old hat. I finished rebuilding it yesterday. Was it a Stratoliner? I dunno, but it has those lines. I purchased this on eBay as a beater felt to play with - over a year ago. No sweatband, no markings, no interior paper tags - just a piece of old felt shaped like a hat. It sat, waiting for me to finally pick up a 7 1/4 52 block, which happened a few weeks ago. So I gave it a naphtha bath (many months ago), reblocked it (I think the body was a 7 1/8), re-flanged it, put in a sweatband generously supplied by Tim (CaneRodMaker, AlleyKat Hats) several months ago, and put on a new ribbon I acquired on eBay many months ago. I had been wanting to do this project for a long time. Despite the mothing on the brim, it's a fantastic piece of felt, and sat atop one of my hat boxes for several months with a beautiful dry bash I'd put into it (third pic). I haven't taken it out for a test drive yet, but I got the fit right and I like the color combo. The hat itself is a very, very dark blue/green, with a matching brim binding. The original ribbon also matched, but it fell apart when I took it off prior to cleaning. It currently remains unlined, and I think I'll keep it that way. It's very thin, lightweight, and as stated before, easy to crease and shape.

Before:

View attachment 64405

Note the mothing on the brim...
View attachment 64406
View attachment 64411

After:

View attachment 64407 View attachment 64408 View attachment 64410 View attachment 64409
Nice job Jim.

Bertie.Wooster

One of the Regulars
Old hat. I finished rebuilding it yesterday. Was it a Stratoliner? I dunno, but it has those lines. I purchased this on eBay as a beater felt to play with - over a year ago. No sweatband, no markings, no interior paper tags - just a piece of old felt shaped like a hat. It sat, waiting for me to finally pick up a 7 1/4 52 block, which happened a few weeks ago. So I gave it a naphtha bath (many months ago), reblocked it (I think the body was a 7 1/8), re-flanged it, put in a sweatband generously supplied by Tim (CaneRodMaker, AlleyKat Hats) several months ago, and put on a new ribbon I acquired on eBay many months ago. I had been wanting to do this project for a long time. Despite the mothing on the brim, it's a fantastic piece of felt, and sat atop one of my hat boxes for several months with a beautiful dry bash I'd put into it (third pic). I haven't taken it out for a test drive yet, but I got the fit right and I like the color combo. The hat itself is a very, very dark blue/green, with a matching brim binding. The original ribbon also matched, but it fell apart when I took it off prior to cleaning. It currently remains unlined, and I think I'll keep it that way. It's very thin, lightweight, and as stated before, easy to crease and shape.

Before:

View attachment 64405

View attachment 64406
View attachment 64411

After:

View attachment 64407 View attachment 64408 View attachment 64410 View attachment 64409
Nice job there! I am excited about my Crofut & Knapp Boater rebuild :).

moehawk

I'll Lock Up

Before:

View attachment 64405

View attachment 64406
View attachment 64411

After:

Looks Fruntastic!
Now THAT'S why I nominated you! :)

Before:

View attachment 64405

View attachment 64406
View attachment 64411

After:

Darn it Fruno, that is just fantastic. You are now a hatter in my eyes. Love the purple ribbon. Very impressive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner