Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Her is a better picture of the Stetson pin. Has a patent date of 1896....
M s-l400.jpg

The outlet (in St. Joe, MO) is 220 miles from Springfield. A trip to Kansas City might be more justifiable.
Yes.............I don't know how I was thinking Springfield.....you are quite right ....I need to plan a trip to Kansas City.....still a 6 hour drive for me.....:( but then that does save me some money;)
Cheers,
M

Last edited:

homesicksteve

Familiar Face
The anticipation of the arrival of my second 'proper' hat turned to despair when I opened the box.
From some reason AustralianGear thought a good way of shipping an Akubra Stylemaster halfway 'round the world, would be to throw it in a box, with a couple of hat stands & brushes, and no packing other than a plastic bag to make sure the dirt & dust stays attached to the hat !
Mangled & twisted ! 'Sweatband lower than the brim, & one side of the brim touching the top of the crown.

I'm glad now. I couldn't make it worse, so I steamed it & returned to open crown. After waiting patiently for a whole hour, I steamed again & reshaped. My first attempt at anything like this.
The newly named 'Stylemaker' is born : (critical comments most welcome please)

RJR

The anticipation of the arrival of my second 'proper' hat turned to despair when I opened the box.
From some reason AustralianGear thought a good way of shipping an Akubra Stylemaster halfway 'round the world, would be to throw it in a box, with a couple of hat stands & brushes, and no packing other than a plastic bag to make sure the dirt & dust stays attached to the hat !
Mangled & twisted ! 'Sweatband lower than the brim, & one side of the brim touching the top of the crown.

I'm glad now. I couldn't make it worse, so I steamed it & returned to open crown. After waiting patiently for a whole hour, I steamed again & reshaped. My first attempt at anything like this.
The newly named 'Stylemaker' is born : (critical comments most welcome please)

I am amazed that AG sent your items packed that way.You've done a nice job reshapingthe hat but I wouls still raise a stink with them about damaged merchandise.

homesicksteve

Familiar Face
I am amazed that AG sent your items packed that way.You've done a nice job reshapingthe hat but I wouls still raise a stink with them about damaged merchandise.

All's well that ends well...
My first hat, also an Akubra, came from HatsDirect in a box with proper internal support for the brim etc.
It arrived in perfect condition, with a personal note from Naomi & Trudy.
Where I order my next from, is an easy choice !

Edit : Not wishing to be unfair, I should mention that the items in the box sent by AG were separated by four sheets of tissue paper...

Last edited:
All's well that ends well...
My first hat, also an Akubra, came from HatsDirect in a box with proper internal support for the brim etc.
It arrived in perfect condition, with a personal note from Naomi & Trudy.
Where I order my next from, is an easy choice !
Both Hats Direct and Everything Australian take proper precautions when packaging their hats for shipping, but they're still at the mercy of ham-fisted parcel handlers. When I ordered my first "proper" hat from Hats Direct in 2008, a dark brown Fed IV, it arrived with one end of the shipping carton crushed inward several inches. When I opened it I found the damaged carton had folded the front of the brim up against the crown. Fortunately, it fell back into place when I removed the hat from the carton so I couldn't say the hat was damaged, but it did make me think twice about ordering from Australia again.

That being said, I've since ordered two more hats from Hats Direct and three from Everything Australian and they all arrived in perfect condition, but it helped that they were packaged properly in the first place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24