Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
OK, now that I took pictures and looked more closely, it seems to me that the liner was replaced at sometime. The thing is, the thread for the liner and the thread holding on the company size/price tag is too white, too new looking compared to the sweat, etc.

It has definite blue tones to it when you get outside. Inside it just looks like a grey hat. The paint on the wall behind the hat is grey, for comparison.

I like the specs, about 5-1/2" open crown and a 2-1/2" brim.
That hat looks like a mid-50's Royal to me...I see nothing that looks replaced.....it may have had tails on the ribbon(or not)at one time.

My wife or daughter gets another hat! A Stetson 5X "Open Road"-ish clone with black ribbon and white brim binding. Hard to walk away from a $20 hat even if I can't wear it.

35853275320_4d2199c1e0_o.jpg

35853295160_34ce971e09_o.jpg

36078631482_c89732e616_o.jpg

36111568401_9a472241c3_o.jpg
That's a great find, Bob!

Just got this Moore's bowler free from a neighbor. Any ideas as to date? Practically mint.
1e3866259475025626b456f4df9527e1.jpg
f141e3e1e573ebd1b6a4fcee524543e6.jpg
04029a9c5249df2e87654414339ee24d.jpg
8dc3dc5a290f101b3854d30fff4921ff.jpg
8b423f355cb15278c2412657f2b95427.jpg
440b33edfb2d0b313fa0d1e9a2cd356c.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
I'd like to have a neighbour like that! Great looking bowler. The age is hard to say, but judging from the liner and sweatband I'd say late forties to early fifties. Moores ceased to exist in 1966. Maybe you'd like to post it in the Great British Hat makers thread as well.

Just got these two.....VERY pleased with both!
First the Stetson "Grand Central"...VERY NICE, great color....very soft supple felt. Comes open crown.....the proportions of mine are different than advertised and even those printed on the box. Mine has a little over 2 1/2 inch brim as apposed to the 2 3/8 advertised and I like it! Crown is also taller than 5 1/2 inches.....almost as tall as the Stetsonian! Again, really nice soft supple felt throughout!!!!! The under-welt brim is very well executed! I immediately put in a nice deep center dent and it does NOT come close to touching my head! AND I have not added any pinches as I like the look with the dent only a lot! With the tall crown it kind of gives it a 1920's early 30's sort of feel. Looks great brim up or down. Wore it yesterday and got a lot of compliments......
Grand Central.jpg
Here it is as I creased it...
My grand.jpg

My Grand 2.jpg

AND I also purchased one of those Hemp Whippets......And it was quite comfortable and good for the warmer afternoon!! The proportions are different than the felt variety....it has a 2 1/2 in brim and the crown is taller.....all in all really nice looking hat.
Chocolate hemp Whippet.jpg

I am VERY PLEASED with BOTH!!!!
Cheers,
M

Last edited:
First the Stetson "Grand Central"...VERY NICE, great color....very soft supple felt. Comes open crown.....the proportions of mine are different than advertised and even those printed on the box. Mine has a little over 2 1/2 inch brim as apposed to the 2 3/8 advertised and I like it! Crown is also taller than 5 1/2 inches.....almost as tall as the Stetsonian! Again, really nice soft supple felt throughout!!!!! The under-welt brim is very well executed! I immediately put in a nice deep center dent and it does NOT come close to touching my head! AND I have not added any pinches as I like the look with the dent only a lot! With the tall crown it kind of gives it a 1920's early 30's sort of feel. Looks great brim up or down. Wore it yesterday and got a lot of compliments......
View attachment 80723
View attachment 80724

View attachment 80725
AND I also purchased one of those Hemp Whippets......And it was quite comfortable and good for the warmer afternoon!! The proportions are different than the felt variety....it has a 2 1/2 in brim and the crown is taller.....all in all really nice looking hat.
View attachment 80726

Cheers,
M
Ignore my questions in the other thread. I'm in love with this Grand Central, especially with the wider brim. I like the center dent in this light (bone?) color. Very nice finish on both hats. Impressive.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I saw this sitting in ebay and just picked it up. I figured it was too small, and it is, but it's also a bit of a mystery. Under the sweat is some repair work done with - that's right - duct tape. There's a Stetson 7-1/4 size tag, but also some stickers that say 60, then 59. I think 58 or 57 is more correct.

It's beautiful stuff, this parabuntal straw. Very light.

Is it flexible if steamed or soaked in water and then reblocked, or no?

It may just end up being another hat for the lovely MrsFed.... arg!

i-fX2LrBz-L.jpg

i-fp96xFn-L.jpg

i-gGPKKxq-L.jpg

i-XhXLx3L-L.jpg

i-WCW3kJg-L.jpg

i-C5xp7J3-L.jpg

i-m2zGtrt-L.jpg

i-tv2gj5C-L.jpg

Last edited:

Michael A

I'll Lock Up

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Picked up this Solar Straw at the city run rummage sale today.
IMG_5869 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
No idea what Hopoka is.
IMG_5870 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
A bit bent up and with some sweatband issues, but basically sound
IMG_5873 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_5875 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
2 3/4" brim, a bit over 4" at the pinch and 4 1/2 on the sides, 101 grams
IMG_5865 by Michael A2012, on Flickr

Michael
Nice, light summer straw, Michael!

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 80723
View attachment 80724

View attachment 80725
View attachment 80726

Cheers,
M
That Grand Central is gorgeous...your post might end up costing me some bucks..now I want one

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR