Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here

RJR

Raiders hat by John Penman, a 25 year process...

from a leather “Australian style” hat I had as a kid pretending to be Indiana Jones (I didn’t know better, I was 10)... to a generic crushable felt fedora (I was on the right track, but still young, naive, and uninformed)... to an officially licensed fur indy hat (my first exposure to fur felt hats, but later came to learn how the shape was all wrong)... to an Akubra Federation IV (about as close as you can get with production hat, but around this time had become spoiled by vintage felt, and realized that it could be better...)

...and finally this one (I think my search for the perfect Indy hat is over :)

100b915b68c2c7aab10781a7f8fffefc.jpg
25d5912564ae499ebb4964451902cf4c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pretty tough to fault John's work.

Nathaniel Finley

A-List Customer
Very nice 3x.I wouldn't want to take it off either.

Excellent, Nathaniel. World of difference between a vintage felt and a modern production and that's a fine example.

Great looking hat,congrats.

Great 3X, Nathaniel. As I've said before, those things are near bullet-proof. It's a tough piece of work and will serve you well on your travels.

Beautiful! I wouldn't want to take it off either. Nice crease, you rock it well.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks guys! I absolutely fell in love with this fellow on eBay and I’m delighted that he is everything I hoped he would be!

Last edited:

Nathaniel Finley

A-List Customer
The 3X beaver came with a few questions and I reckon this is as good a place as any to ask them. I don’t think we have a dedicated 3X beaver thread:

1. I’m in Melbourne and I was at a shop yesterday with Akubra Campdrafts. This hat is EXACTLY like a campdraft in dimensions (or, rather, the campdraft is exactly the dimensions of this hat). However, my hat’s not labeled an Open Road (it’s not labeled anything at all except 3X). If the Open Road was definitely already on the market when this hat was made, why is this not an Open Road?

2. The hat is super stiff, which I kind of like and kind of don’t. If I do decide to remove the stiffener, how would I go about it? Is there a way to do that by degrees or do I have to strip all of the stiffener (like in a Napa bath)?

Friends and neighbors can’t beleive this is a 60 year old hat. It’s in AMAZING condition. And the feel of the felt - especially under steam when it just melts like butter - wow, it’s really something special!

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
If the Open Road was definitely already on the market when this hat was made, why is this not an Open Road?

it's not labeled Open Road because it is not and Open Road

I don't think I've seen an OR with that 3 chord ribbon ... but many other Stetson western style hats came with it

beautiful hat

Last edited:
New to me Knox Twenty Five. To my surprise when I opened the box... It's a long hair. Never had one before. Anyone have a guess as to age on this hat? This is like a furry new animal to me. I'm thinking I should give it a name and have it flea dipped.
View attachment 100851 View attachment 100852 View attachment 100854 View attachment 100855
Wow, great finish. It should brush out nicely, just like a stray dog. You will have to see what kind of personality it has before giving it a name. Must be early 50s is my guess.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
The 3X beaver came with a few questions and I reckon this is as good a place as any to ask them. I don’t think we have a dedicated 3X beaver thread:

1. I’m in Melbourne and I was at a shop yesterday with Akubra Campdrafts. This hat is EXACTLY like a campdraft in dimensions (or, rather, the campdraft is exactly the dimensions of this hat). However, my hat’s not labeled an Open Road (it’s not labeled anything at all except 3X). If the Open Road was definitely already on the market when this hat was made, why is this not an Open Road?

2. The hat is super stiff, which I kind of like and kind of don’t. If I do decide to remove the stiffener, how would I go about it? Is there a way to do that by degrees or do I have to strip all of the stiffener (like in a Napa bath)?

Friends and neighbors can’t beleive this is a 60 year old hat. It’s in AMAZING condition. And the feel of the felt - especially under steam when it just melts like butter - wow, it’s really something special!
I would imagine that the stiffness of the felt and the amazing condition are related. It should soften up with wear and handling. A naptha bath won't remove the stiffener, which is most likely shellac. Alcohol will remove shellac, but can also ruin the leather so I'd avoid soaking it in alcohol. Now, soaking your innards in some good alcohol (responsibly of course) and wearing the hat to break it in might work better.:)

Nathaniel Finley

A-List Customer
it's not labeled Open Road because it is not and Open Road

I don't think I've seen an OR with that 3 ply ribbon ... but many other Stetson western style hats came with it

beautiful hat

The 3 ply ribbon was the last selling point for me, I absolutely love it. But that seems to be the only difference between this hat and an Open Road.

Maybe my question is one of surprise that the ribbon is a big enough difference to keep this from being labelled an Open Road, all other things being (to my amateur eye) exactly the same.

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
The 3 ply ribbon was the last selling point for me, I absolutely love it. But that seems to be the only difference between this hat and an Open Road. Maybe my question is one of surprise - the ribbon is a big enough difference to keep this from being marketed as an Open Road, all other things being pretty much (to my amateur eye) exactly the same?

I’m sure their are other differences that I wouldn’t be able to point out without holding the hat
Felt weight ... block ...etc

also Stetson often made the exact hat as one of their name models leaving off the name designation ... not sure of their reasoning .... to reach other price points possibly ?

I have hats that are Stratoliners in every single way other than being labeled one

Your hat is much nicer than late 50 early 60s ORs

I have a late 50s OR ... it does not have as nice of a block as yours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nathaniel Finley

A-List Customer
I’m sure their are other differences that I wouldn’t be able to point out without holding the hat
Felt weight ... block ...etc

also Stetson often made the exact hat as one of their name models leaving off the name designation ... not sure of their reasoning .... to reach other price points possibly ?

I have hats that are Stratoliners in every single way other than being labeled one

Your hat is much nicer than late 50 early 60s ORs

I have a late 50s OR ... it does not have as nice of a block as yours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One reason might be the sheer quantity of hats on the U.S. market 60 years ago.

Stetson could afford to try different tweaks on established models with 2 of every 3 adult males in felt hats (I have no idea if that figure is correct, but it must have been high).

For me, it was another selling point that this is not labeled an Open Road. I’ve always favored uniqueness.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
One reason might be the sheer quantity of hats on the U.S. market 60 years ago.

Stetson could afford to try different tweaks on established models with 2 of every 3 adult males in felt hats (I have no idea if that figure is correct, but it must have been high).

For me, it was another selling point that this is not labeled an Open Road. I’ve always favored uniqueness.

not sure if it not being labeled OR makes it unique at all ... especially since it is not an Open Road

it looks like many of the 3 chord ribbon western style Stetsons you will see ... often with any given number of Xs

but is sure is a nice hat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy