Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Portis.
35e36d80ee7ed469a77c8381b95bff0c.jpg
c64e7ad10a9f6b67e1fb3a264649dea0.jpg
6dfe04f7d4ed45849011f39fc8b62319.jpg
65d86b2a5d9e8f17be01454b1ed6b2fe.jpg

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Carlton, from Daniele. My brother in law had forgotten to bring it in his last visit, so I brought it with me with all the rest in my fifth haul. The felt is very very soft and malleable.
Thank you, Daniele!
e9e18bc8961a0eae13e9cc614dd21c48.jpg
7c65cad038eea42428890cc4c3fdd0b0.jpg
c7baf30b2e2c68f51654dd13e26c79a4.jpg
6bbc07de3bfd87d38d6c47634706517e.jpg
c9e00d16045eed2324114c14c7987f24.jpg
efa6fbee8b84176f0fb69f13ec424948.jpg
5a02f06d9d3522167058121620daa8b5.jpg
57bb479d461715b2330f2754098c1bad.jpg
c9d94f26b84509da519edbdc4eeeee4b.jpg

It's an exquisite parade of hats, Max. You've outdone even yourself. Funny thing is: with all that felt-power on display, I really like this hat. Lovely chamois finish and excellent colours.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
It's an exquisite parade of hats, Max. You've outdone even yourself. Funny thing is: with all that felt-power on display, I really like this hat. Lovely chamois finish and excellent colours.
You have one like it, I recall, don't you Stefan? Yours is what made me ask Daniele for this one. The feel is so soft!

Last edited:
I received another one today from @Bill Hughes.

Here is his description:

<<
1950-60s Stetson Whippet like fedora

Restored Stetson in Whippet style size 7 1/4. Brim is 2 1/2. Has new sweatband.
Color of fur felt is very light sage green almost a cream.
Crown ribbon is Rust with windcord.
Binding is pale champagne.
Felt has few imperfections but it is clean. >>

Normally when I get a new-to-me hat I put it aside and study it for a while. This one? I steamed and adjusted the crown a bit, putting a diamond in and bringing the front down a touch, popped it on my head, and went out to run errands.

I am blown away by the colors, feel, brim swoop, and overall shape. The proportions are perfect for me.

View attachment 142485 View attachment 142486

This one definitely falls into my top 3.
Spectacular!

This is my first Vita-Felt. I got this from @splintercellsz aka Justin Seagraves. A Stetson from the 40s (I think). The model is "The Avenue". I need to re-stitch the seam on the sweatband and replace the missing bow. It had several spots but I was able to virtually remove them with Scout Felt Hat Cleaner.

Yes, 1940s. Interesting that the reorder numbers stamped on the sweat and on the label do not match up. Dyslexic stamper, perhaps. Nice hat.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Does Ignacio remove and reposition the liner when he does these major resizes? What happens to the sweatband?
He takes the liner, the sweatband and the ribbon off, reblocks the hat, and puts everything back together again. If he is downsizing, he takes a piece of the sweatband off; if he is enlarging, he adds a piece at the back.
I don't do it with hats I deem have historical value, like my Dobbs Fifty, One Hundred, or the Stetson Excellent Quality. Those I just pad or pet. [emoji5]

Last edited:
He takes the liner, the swearband and the ribbon off, reblocks the hat, and puts everything back together again. If he is downsizing, he takes a piece of the sweatband off; if he is enlarging, he adds a piece at the back.
I don't do it with hats I deem have historical value, like my Dobbs Fifty, One Hundred, or the Stetson Excellent Quality. Those I just pad or pet. [emoji5]

Would be interesting to see some detailed photos of one before and after in the Side by Side/ Hat Comparisons thread. The liner in the photo I quoted above seemed to be misaligned from the crown but it might just be the way it was shot. I want to believe in magic. ;^)

Not sure that any of our hats have historical value, except perhaps a hat with a special provenance. Every time I find what I think is a rare item, a bunch of others surface shortly thereafter. Resale value might be another story, though only a consideration if they need to be sold. And then, they might be worth more after Ignacio gets finished cleaning them up.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Would be interesting to see some detailed photos of one before and after in the Side by Side/ Hat Comparisons thread. The liner in the photo I quoted above seemed to be misaligned from the crown but it might just be the way it was shot. I want to believe in magic. ;^)

Not sure that any of our hats have historical value, except perhaps a hat with a special provenance. Every time I find what I think is a rare item, a bunch of others surface shortly thereafter. Resale value might be another story, though only a consideration if they need to be sold. And then, they might be worth more after Ignacio gets finished cleaning them up.
You summed up my thinking precisely, Alan.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up

I didn't notice a missalignment. I will try to remember to look at it again. If it is, it may have something to do with the long axis of my head being off-center, because he conformed it to my head before sewing the liner on, couldn't it? IDK.

I didn't notice a missalignment. I will try to remember to look at it again. If it is, it may have something to do with the long axis of my head being off-center, because he conformed it to my head before sewing the liner on, couldn't it? IDK.

I might be misreading the photo. I might also be jealous of your good fortune to have a local hatter who turns stuff around so promptly. ;^)

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
I might be misreading the photo. I might also be jealous of your good fortune to have a local hatter who turns stuff around so promptly. ;^)
I chat with him while he's working, and increase my hat knowledge a little. Watching him work has a calming effect on me. He is a little like me while I work in the dental lab. His hands seem to work on their own while he is thinking of something else.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou