Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Dave, it isn't that they don't want to weave. The fact of the matter is that they just don't get paid very much. Keeping them paid and weaving is the only way to go. Making the hats exclusive means for lower production and makes for less weavers. Selling them to the everyman means that a lot more peoply ply their trade and the mediocre weavers get better, the good weavers turn into masters, and the masters have some competetion.

STHILL: I've also seen ancient drawings where the hats look like wings...thus we hear stories of the Conquistadores thinking they were bat people...vampires.

BTW, how was the first hat?

STHill

One of the Regulars
The first hat is great (even without ear flaps). Even as we speak, it is enroute back to Art for a slight size adjustment. I'll post pics when I get it back.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Wow, I love the new lid Adam, I can't wait to see that come September. I really love the ribbon you chose for the hat, I like that color on a montecristi!:cool2:

Sergei

Gone Home
Let me try to straighten this out. In this thread, Rundquist's new straw was purchased from Optimo. The block shown in the picture in this thread is called the "Havana" style and Optimo hats did the blocking, sweatband, ribbon, etc. This is truly an exceptional hat in that it's close to about 2000 weaves per square inch. Only 2 hats like this were available for sale by Optimo of this quality this year. It's rare.

Zohar's straw was purchased from PanamaBob. I think it's about 800 to 1000 weavs per square inch. The block used was also a Havanna style type by an unnamed hatter.

The block style name varies from hatter to hatter, so if you like a style, I suggest you save the picture and refer to it by the picture and not the name.

I hope this helps...

-Sergei

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
and the milan was from Optimo.

BTW, if one were to count one inch of weaves on the crown of said Optimo Montecristi what would that count be? What would the count be in the same area if measuring one inch perpindicular to the crown. I'd really love to know this.

I would bet a lot of money that it isn't 2000. That would be something like 50X40 and haven't seen those in all the years I've been to Montecristi.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
My apologies to Rundquist for hijacking his thread, but here goes:

Okay, My Milan straw came from Optimo, it has the very same block as Rundquist's hat in the top of this thread, AKA "The Havana". It is made of a wheat grass straw, and is a very different type of straw than a Montecristi, as it's woven in China. It's thicker, and more substantial than the Montecristi. This doesn't mean it's better or worse, just different.
I wore it today while felling trees with my dad, and it handled the 95 F heat and 70% humidity with aplomb.

My Montecristi came from PanamaBob, and I had it blocked by a hatter here in the US. It does not have a "havana" block. The block is a sort of Diamond shape similar to the hats Art has blocked for Andykev. It is around 700-800 weaves per square inch. The brim is close to 3", and the crown is about 4 3/4", but I am not sure, as I haven't measured it.

I am not positive, but I would guess that Adam's hat above is around 1800 weaves per square inch, although I AM NOT POSITIVE ABOUT THIS. This is just going by my eye looking at his pictures alone.

cooncatbob

Practically Family
I'll start this off. Not exactly new as I got it for myself for Christmas, but it's likely to be the last new hat I get for a while.

2155525448_d94fb4d708.jpg

The Dusty Rose. By Art Fawcett.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Also not exactly new as this was a Christmas hat like Cooncatbob's, but here is my newest, a sub-fino Panama. I like the more open weave to help keep this noggin cool on hot days.
100_0683.jpg

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
Great hats, all! But I'm especially partial to...

cooncatbob said:
2155525448_d94fb4d708.jpg

The Dusty Rose. By Art Fawcett.

:eek: :eusa_clap That pink ribbon is simply stunning. I wonder how that would look on a medium gray body... :D

I don't get to visit Art's site often, 'cause it's a wee bit taxing on dialup -- is that one of Art's limited editions, or your own design?

Justdog

Practically Family
Crown

MrFusion said:
hatbow.jpg

The Sportaire, by Art Fawcett.
Just a great piece of work and fabulous crown. Also I find it interesting how if you do not want a particularly high 50s crown a smaller or thinner ribbon can make a smaller or shorter crown appear higher.

cooncatbob

Practically Family
AdmiralTofu said:
Great hats, all! But I'm especially partial to...

:eek: :eusa_clap That pink ribbon is simply stunning. I wonder how that would look on a medium gray body... :D

I don't get to visit Art's site often, 'cause it's a wee bit taxing on dialup -- is that one of Art's limited editions, or your own design?

I provided the dimensions of the hat, 5 3/4 crown, diamond crease and dimensionally cut brim 2 3/8 front and back 2 1/4 on the side and Art picked out the ribbon.
The camera flash lightened the color, the felt is darker hickory/pecan and the ribbon is actually more like the color of chocolate milk until light hits it and the the rosy highlights show and the cross band of the ribbon is burgundy.
I wanted the high crown but less brim then my Hoosier and I didn't want it to be mistaken for an Indy hat.lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner