Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Brent but it really is a daunting task. The 3 1/2 brim is way outside my comfort zone, so I'm struggling with several options! It may take a few days, or weeks, to make a decision. (And, although I did think about it, I am not going to cut down the brim!)

You guys are making me blush. ;)
That’s a once in a lifetime opportunity you have there. It’s “supposed” to look however you want it. I have no doubt that you’ll do that hat proud, and I’m looking forward to seeing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
"A Stetson Hat", Silverbelly, never creased. This should be nice.

Then the seller sent me one more picture.......................................

S10.jpg

Holy Moly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then the seller told me that his father never wore the hat, just put it up in his closet where it has been since 1973. In fact, the seller said, his dad never did anything with the hat. I was amazed when I got the pictures - never creased, never curled!

View attachment 175405 View attachment 175406

"A Stetson Hat", Silverbelly, never creased. This should be nice.
Then the seller sent me one more picture.......................................
View attachment 175427

Holy Moly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now....not to burst your bubble.....but....a Stetson "Beaver 100" is NOT the same as a regular Stetson 100.......you may wish to consult with Brent on this one.....these seem to be made right around the Stetson buyout around 1970 or so ..... Perhaps even after as this is a designation other companies used in other brands.......and the quality in the "Stetson" ones .... is well.......talk to Brent!
M

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Now....not to burst your bubble.....but....a Stetson "Beaver 100" is NOT the same as a regular Stetson 100.......you may wish to consult with Brent on this one.....these seem to be made right around the Stetson buyout around 1970 or so ..... Perhaps even after as this is a designation other companies used in other brands.......and the quality in the "Stetson" ones .... is well.......talk to Brent!
M
Yes they are later but still a very nice hat.
The Stetson Beaver 100 thread is a good read.
B

B
I don't know....I know Some here have had the "Beaver" 25's and 50's and were not impressed.....I know Brent got one of those recently...and I have handled those myself and the 25's especially were cardboard.....the 50 was not good either....I would take a vintage 3X over them every time!
Good to hear the "Beaver100" is a good hat!

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I don't know....I know Some here have had the "Beaver" 25's and 50's and were not impressed.....I know Brent got one of those recently...and I have handled those myself and the 25's especially were cardboard.....the 50 was not good either....I would take a vintage 3X over them every time!
Good to hear the "Beaver100" is a good hat!
Idk. I have a Beaver 50 7X and its a pretty nice hat for a rectangle size tagged Stetson.
B

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Thank you, gents. Once I was out of the driveway, I don't think my tires hit the ground until I was at the sellers house! And, yes, I bought Lottery tickets, too! The Hat Gods were smiling on me, for sure! I missed a 100 local to me in the fall of last year and I never in my wildest dreams expected another one to pop up around me like this one did.

I know it is one of the last of the breed, but one of the breed, nevertheless. I have a 25, and have handled a couple of others, and those are not even in the same ballpark as this one. I have a 100 I got from Bill - 60's model if I remember correctly - and the fit and finish on the both of them are virtually identical. Those of you with a lot more experience could possibly tell a difference, but I can't. This one feels a bit heavier than the one I have from Bill, but another 1 inch plus of brim is a lot of that extra weight. It is a bit stiffer than Bills hat, too, but I can only guess that part of that is that it has not been worn or handled and, as it is a more recent vintage, it may have more stiffener or additives in the felt.

This is a really big brim for me but, as I've already told Brent, I'll figure out some way to leave my mark and give the hat its personality. With a 3 1/2 inch brim, its already screaming "Western" to me, so that narrows the options a little bit!

Thanks for looking.

S11.jpg S12.jpg

M

Ding ding ding!!
I think your decision has been made!!
B

B

Robieman

A-List Customer
Thank you, gents. Once I was out of the driveway, I don't think my tires hit the ground until I was at the sellers house! And, yes, I bought Lottery tickets, too! The Hat Gods were smiling on me, for sure! I missed a 100 local to me in the fall of last year and I never in my wildest dreams expected another one to pop up around me like this one did.

I know it is one of the last of the breed, but one of the breed, nevertheless. I have a 25, and have handled a couple of others, and those are not even in the same ballpark as this one. I have a 100 I got from Bill - 60's model if I remember correctly - and the fit and finish on the both of them are virtually identical. Those of you with a lot more experience could possibly tell a difference, but I can't. This one feels a bit heavier than the one I have from Bill, but another 1 inch plus of brim is a lot of that extra weight. It is a bit stiffer than Bills hat, too, but I can only guess that part of that is that it has not been worn or handled and, as it is a more recent vintage, it may have more stiffener or additives in the felt.

This is a really big brim for me but, as I've already told Brent, I'll figure out some way to leave my mark and give the hat its personality. With a 3 1/2 inch brim, its already screaming "Western" to me, so that narrows the options a little bit!

Thanks for looking.

View attachment 175443 View attachment 175444
I think you "done good" buddy!

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up

Thanks for looking.

Looks great, Randy. Imagine finding a vintage hat in such nos condition. Congrats on the super find. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it. Don't let it intimidate you. Buck that bronco [emoji4]

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

168212-d34a859ddde414425021efc6e6fca223.jpg

The smile says it all. Congrats Randy!

Thanks for looking.

Looks good!!!! I belive I sounded too harsh earlier:rolleyes::oops::oops::rolleyes:......I was just saying it was not like the earlier Stetson 100's (or even the 7X) BUT....that said......a 100 anything.....even from this era will be a LOT better than most ANY modern hat!!!
GOOD GET!!! And when YOU are happy.....(and boy do you look happy!:D:D:D) THAT is all thst matters!;)
Best,
M:):D
EDIT: PS....I have my fingers crossed on a perhaps LITTLE earlier made "Beaver 50" OR clone made by another company (probebly Resistol) for a private label......hoping it is not stiff as a board. We shall see if the hat gods smile on me too.....o_O:rolleyes:;):D

Last edited:
So I received word midday from my daughter than my new Hufvud had arrived at the house. Needless to say I couldn't wait to get home.

I walked in, spotted the box on the table, and swept everything else off onto the floor (no, I didn't – haha).

Actually, I washed my hands and face. I never handle a new hat until I'm clean.

I get to work on the box and notice that it's not like an American cardboard box. I can't quite figure out where the seams are. It's so beautifully sealed I can hardly tell where the seams are.

So I start going at it with a sharp instrument. Well, it didn't open as neatly as I wanted it to, but I can still use it to keep the hat in, with a little help from some clear packaging tape.

So, the hat. Waddaboutda hat? I don't think I have enough superlatives to describe how happy I am with this hat. The colors are spot-on. Felt is sage green. Ribbon is copper. The flying V bow is perfect.

I was very specific about the proportions of this hat.

Wait, let me just say here that the entire conversation for this transaction was handled completely via FB PMs. It could not have been easier or more clear if Mikael and I were standing in the same room.

I wanted a Raiders/Streets of Cairo-style hat, but with some important-to-me differences. First, obviously, were the colors. Second were the dimensions.

As far as numbers go, a Raiders hat is known to be 4 1/2” to the top of the front pinch. The brim is dimensional, with the side dimensions no less than 2 1/2”, and sometimes an eighth to a quarter more, with the front back and eighth to a quarter more than whatever the front is.

I have a few Raiders/Raiders-style hats, all with the 2 1/2” side brim dimension. All their front pinches have been modified by me to fall into the 4 ¼ to 4 ½” range, because sometimes nailing exact dimension is not possible, so they all fall in that 1/4” range, but never outside it.

But no matter where the crown sits, the 2 ½ x 2 5/8” dimensional brim overpowers my face just a bit. 2 1/4” brims look right on me but are too conservative for a Raiders hat for my head.

So Mikael and I settled on a 2 3/8 x 2 1/2” brim for this hat, and I asked him to set the front pinch in that 4 ¼ to 4 ½” range, where, in his opinion, worked best with the set brim widths of this hat.

So, the colors and dimensions are perfect. I love that it's not symmetrical. The liner is beautiful.

View attachment 175291 View attachment 175293 View attachment 175294 View attachment 175295 View attachment 175297 View attachment 175298
View attachment 175299

The quality of the hat, itself, is outstanding. I specified his rabbit/hare blend felt, and it feels and looks as good as some beaver hats I have, and considerably better than all the rabbits I have, custom or factory-made.

The sweat is amazingly comfortable, again better than anything else I possess – factory new, factory-vintage, or new-custom.

When I first saw the hat online I was flabbergasted at how good it looked. I was hoping the in-person product would look and feel as good, and I am not at all disappointed.

I had said I was thrilled when I saw those first pictures, and now I am doubly so. I may never take this one off my head.
Gorgeous hat in great colours. Congrats, Scott. Nice to read such a positive experience.

Thanks for looking.

Perfect score, Randy. And you look pleased enough with it!

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Thank you, thank you, thank you all for your support. Yes, I am very happy with this one. I'll try my best to make it into something worthy of a fine vintage hat.

I think you "done good" buddy!

Looks great, Randy. Imagine finding a vintage hat in such nos condition. Congrats on the super find. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it. Don't let it intimidate you. Buck that bronco [emoji4]

The smile says it all. Congrats Randy!

Looks good!!!! I belive I sounded too harsh earlier:rolleyes::oops::oops::rolleyes:......I was just saying it was not like the earlier Stetson 100's (or even the 7X) BUT....that said......a 100 anything.....even from this era will be a LOT better than most ANY modern hat!!!
GOOD GET!!! And when YOU are happy.....(and boy do you look happy!:D:D:D) THAT is all thst matters!;)
Best,
M:):D
EDIT: PS....I have my fingers crossed on a perhaps LITTLE earlier made "Beaver 50" OR clone made by another company (probebly Resistol) for a private label......hoping it is not stiff as a board. We shall see if the hat gods smile on me too.....o_O:rolleyes:;):D

Perfect score, Randy. And you look pleased enough with it!

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Thank you, thank you, thank you all for your support. Yes, I am very happy with this one. I'll try my best to make it into something worthy of a fine vintage hat.
Support is what the FL community is best (h)at [emoji4]. That's why we dare to post.
Randy, make that Stetson worthy of itself as I know you will, but most of all, make it worthy of you.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Sure, sure. At least until the next hat comes along that gets you thinking. ;) The only thing I don't like about that hat is that it isn't mine.

Well, the hat didn't really come along. It had been percolating in my noggin for quite some time. Mikael just seemed to be the right guy at the right time to make it. And he was.

And you can have one, ya know! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran