Post New Hats Here!

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Rundquist, May 4, 2004.

1. steur

steur

Great find, Randall. Dates from the 1936-1953 period. Solid advice from Bowen on the stretching part. The Augusta line of hats was likely rabbit felt. I find on Borsalinos it doesn't seem to matter which type of felt it was: they could do miracles with anything. I am thinking though this could be a coffin box homburg. The hats that were sold and sent in those little white boxes included homburgs (which is mindboggling, really) and this could be one of those. The model name is a first: we've never seen a "Nizosca" model before. so for that alone it's unique. Super find.

2. Steve1857

Steve1857 I'll Lock Up

Super Borsalino Lobbia, Randall. Great catch. I understand your hesitation about attempting to stretch this one. Be a shame to spoil it.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Zombie_61 and Randall Renshaw like this.
  3. Randall Renshaw

Randall Renshaw One Too Many

Thank you for the excellent stretch advice, Bowen. I learned a few things, to include the cardboard placed between the felt and sweat.
    I’ll start stretching the hat tonight after work using the methods you’ve given. If you hear an agonizing scream all the way to where you live you’ll know something went wrong. Though I feel it will go well. I don’t have to stretch it too far, as it nearly fits now.
    And like you said, the leather is good and in good shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Steve1857

Steve1857 I'll Lock Up

Looking forward to seeing you sport this wonderful Borsa soon, Randall. It's definitely a keeper for any collection.

Randall Renshaw and Zombie_61 like this.
  5. Randall Renshaw

Thanks for the information, Stefan. 36 to 53? Super to find out that this hat could possibly be my second oldest hat, but that is quite a time span. I suppose Borsalino did things the same way for a long while and there is no other way to date it closer or you’d have told me. Too bad.
    What does the word, “Nizosca” mean?
    I will look in the FL archives to see what you’re talking about on the white coffin boxes, but why should you be surprised that one could’ve included a homburg? Unless...you’re talking about those tiny,portable metal boxes that held a crushable fedora? Surely you’re not saying that?!! They put a nice hat like this in those, Too?!!!

steur likes this.
  6. Randall Renshaw

What does, Lobbia, mean? If it means lightness then it sure is! [emoji4]. It weighs in at a mere 4.3 ounces. I have only one other hat that’s as light, which is a forties Dobbs westward, but those have thin ribbons and edge binding where the Borsa burgs have wide ribbons and bindings, although, the Dobbs has as a full liner. Nevertheless, it’s very impressive. The felt is super smooth and soft, yet with firmness. I’m impressed with the hat. One of my Stetson St Regis is this hat’s twin, but it’s a stout 5.7 ounces. The only difference is the Stetson’s crown being 3/8s taller.

AbbaDatDeHat, steur and Steve1857 like this.
  7. Steve1857

Steve1857 I'll Lock Up

http://hats-history.com/lobbia-hat/

Lobbia is the Italian name for Homburg. The link explains why. It should perhaps be taken with a little grain of salt, but it's a fun story [emoji4]

8. Rmccamey

Rmccamey My Mail is Forwarded Here

Thank you, gents. Yes, this blue homburg is in great shape and gives me a little color diversity too!

Randall Renshaw and Steve1857 like this.
  9. Rmccamey

Rmccamey My Mail is Forwarded Here

That looks like a great Borso! Looks like a keeper to me.

10. TheOldFashioned

TheOldFashioned One Too Many

My first Mac Lachlan:
    IMG_20200103_120918537.jpg IMG_20200103_121006963.jpg
    Details and specs in the Maclachlan Hats thread.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  11. Steve1857

Steve1857 I'll Lock Up

That looks a super MacLachlan, Jonathan. Can you send a link to the thread. I'd like to see more about yours and follow the thread in general.

12. TheOldFashioned

TheOldFashioned One Too Many

Thanks, Steve. Just updated both threads and added hyperlink. You were too fast for me. ;)

Randall Renshaw and Steve1857 like this.
  13. Steve1857

Steve1857 I'll Lock Up

That's me, Quick Draw McGraw [emoji23]

14. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Is your secret identity El Kabong?

15. steur

steur

I am saying that. They did send out homburg hats in those small boxes (cardboard, not metal). Here are the pics from a folder by Cambini. A homburg is listed on the first page after that and the last page shows that all of the hats listed could be shipped in one of those boxes. Most of these were sold post-war up until the early fifties.
    The meaning of any of the Borsalino model names is a mystery we haven't solved yet. This label was used in the time period, but I think the Augusta line of hats dates from the post war years, so likely your hat is mid forties to early fifties.

Attached Files:

16. Tomasz Zieniewicz

Tomasz Zieniewicz New in Town

Found this handsome fella chilling in one of the local second-hand shops, not my size, but still it's something :)
    Homburg hat is it? (Im a complete greenhorn).

17. steur

steur

Welcome to the lounge, Tomasz. Not exactly a homburg, more like an in between style. Nice catch though, certainly in that dark blue mirtillo colour.

18. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Good luck Randall!
    I was very hesitant to aid in this endeavor because when a plan doesn’t work i feel bad as if it were my own hat. But people gonna try what they wanna so i thought i’d at least speak of my experiences.
    Think it out first and remember, do not be fooled by a perfect looking sweatband and or a perfect looking hat. I’ve been fooled before with both and can never forgive myself for damaging some perfect hats.
    So be careful and go SLOW & EASY!
    Bowen

19. Steve1857

Steve1857 I'll Lock Up

Nice find, Tomasz. Welcome to the Lounge. Seems to be a short brimmed Fedora. Not a Fedora, a Trilby, nor a Homburg, but a hybrid of all three, or one of it's own. A Vanzina "fuzzy" pre Borsalino take over, too. Great find all round.

20. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Didn't he also say it was unreeded? If so, that old thread is the weak link.

Randall Renshaw and AbbaDatDeHat like this.