Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
1950s Stetson 3X Beaver Open Road. The hat is is wonderful condition and came with the box complete with its innards.

7A6C9004-010E-4B52-93D2-CE6A437E439D.jpeg
D5B6C844-7F7E-485E-B319-E096F05AF5DD.jpeg
9DEC56F4-8AC5-4046-82D7-953507604FD9.jpeg
8B544946-1173-48BE-A871-ADDF51A4DB14.jpeg
86527B75-D7FA-4F09-BAF1-3E4B970FFB6A.jpeg
74F64C5F-8CDB-43F3-9328-3158DAAFD70F.jpeg
C6A267DA-F110-443A-A3C9-0E61D2939A42.jpeg
F5B77BD9-D000-4E1B-B295-69F9EF7DFFA0.jpeg
9969A6BC-CDA8-4D82-BEF7-B761E92C0C89.jpeg
50413384-F940-42F1-9DDD-898A1335D396.jpeg

Off to eBay and then...Japan? :)

Last edited:
"ART" .. aint it the truth. That's sweet.
I'm still looking for something like a lord's hat w/ a wider, flatter brim.

Thanks. Good luck in your search. Great 49ers BOP you found.

Very cool. Your first bowler? And maybe pre-Stetson, to boot. Good get.

Thank you, Jim it is. The sweat may be a little fragile so I haven’t peeked behind it yet but all the visible indicators suggest that to me. The expert may disagree.

Just as it says, a Gold Medal BB!

As the one who sent me down this path, all I can say is thanks, I guess.

Wilke fedora in Samson quality. Size 56 (probably) with the bound brim at almost 7 cm and the crown at an impressive 11,5 cm at the center dent. It was the Whippet-like look of the hat that made me think : "why not?". Nothing exceptional, but just a very well made hat of the late fifties or early sixties maybe. Liner is still stitched in.
H. Goldbeck is Heinrich Goldbeck of Brackwede, Bielefeld, Germany. The shop was around from 1912 until it finally closed its doors in 2014.

wilke-samson_01-jpg.331580
wilke-samson_02-jpg.331581
wilke-samson_03-jpg.331582
wilke-samson_04-jpg.331583
wilke-samson_05-jpg.331584
wilke-samson_06-jpg.331585
wilke-samson_07-jpg.331586
wilke-samson_08-jpg.331587
wilke-samson_09-jpg.331588
wilke-samson_10-jpg.331589

GA Dunn and Co Ltd - London

50C3A19A-03AB-49D5-88A6-EC86015B62C0.jpeg

GA Dunn and Co Ltd
Deep black felt
Almost 5 inch crown as shaped - approx 5 1/2 open
2 inch brim sides - 1 7/8 front with 1/8 grosgrain trim on underside
1 3/4 black grosgrain ribbon

Got a deal I could not pass up on this British GA Dunn and Co LTD of London. The seller had listed it as size 54 to 56 though I’m pretty sure those markings on the liner referred to the address on Oxford Street. It does however fit perfectly. An obedient deep dark black felt fairly thick with a nice hand to it. It sports a nice tall crown and approx two inch brim with a narrow strip of grosgrain binding only on the underside of the brim tacked on with a single row of stitching. I would not rule out that this one may have met up with “RoundingJack the Ripper” as the brim does appear not to be perfectly even all the way around. Some of that appearance may be from slightly frayed brim binding. It is possible it had a wider binding at some point maybe like a homburg. Just a guess. I do not know much about GA Dunn and Co (later Dunn and Co) other then what I read in a few threads on the lounge. But it appears they phased out the GA part of the name after founder George Arthur Dunn passed away in 1939. The GA Dunn and Co logo on the liner and sweat may point to a 1930s hat. If anyone has any better info it is appreciated.

29E77950-6B5E-48FA-A988-866FF34AE6A4.jpeg
50574091-0ADA-43C8-B46B-F63C9421E3B5.jpeg
BCCDA813-AAFC-4E17-B02B-E19D79EAE599.jpeg
21B9BFC8-C551-461B-99F6-62418A800934.jpeg
737FA315-7387-4DAD-AF7C-978CDF0CB756.jpeg
CA400BCF-3B76-4334-93CE-D91D744CDD69.jpeg
7FDCF8BA-D58A-4DF5-A8D9-BE8F8C90EDB7.jpeg
D49825A5-FEB1-4F3A-BC40-362725C9BC86.jpeg

Mean Eyed Matt

One Too Many
At first: heartfelt condolences, Joe. You and your family all the best!

Nice G. A. Dunn & Co: It is definitely an old one!
But I am sure the 1939 limit for the elimination of the "G. A." is a fairy tale.
I have also already looked through the threats and came across it,
but this has also been challenged on various occasions. I myself
have a hat that has a "G. A. Dunn label" and is definitely late 50's
- at the earliest! So the date does not apply from my point of view.

Maybe they startet in '39 to first produce hats without the G. A.,
but whether this really has anything to do with the death of the founder,
I dare to doubt: Would one directly erase his name and thus "erase memory"?
And: Who in the again more traditionalist Great Britain of the pre-war period
would consciously want to buy a hat from such a company?

The lounger who raised this at the time has shown no evidence
on which to base this assumption. I think the slow and later continuous
omission of the "G. A." has to do with a normal modernization process,
which normally takes longer - in Dunn's case at least until the 1960s.

But I would like to emphasize: This is all just my opinion and
likewise not a fact for which I have evidence.

But I am sure the 1939 limit for the elimination of the "G. A." is a fairy tale.

Thank you Matt for the well wishes. Much appreciated

Probably similar to JC Penney and Co rebranding as Penney’s in the 50s All the big brands shortened their names over time for marketing purposes.

It makes sense that over time whoever was making the hats used different components like sweats and liners as rebranding took place.

when I saw the sellers photos I thought I could see the glare of a plastic liner cover which had me thinking 50s hat. However in hand I realized it was a sort of sticker that only covered directly over logo. Haven’t seen this really on any of my US made hats. Other than Sometimes a logo sticker on unlined hats.

The sweat is very soft supple and thin. Doesn’t feel like a 50s/60s sweat. The logos I don’t think look like the really old ones (20s or older). But again that was based on the stuff I saw in the threads.

So it kinda leaves me to think 30s to 40s. Kinda a wide window I know. and I may not even be in the ballpark :D

either way I really do like the hat.. but pre war would be very cool.

This brand is way outside my experience zone... so all I had to go by was those posts. Maybe someone with more experience in UK and European hats could provide more insight like @steur @PanosChris

GA Dunn and Co Ltd - London

View attachment 332496

GA Dunn and Co Ltd
Deep black felt
Almost 5 inch crown as shaped - approx 5 1/2 open
2 inch brim sides - 1 7/8 front with 1/8 grosgrain trim on underside
1 3/4 black grosgrain ribbon

Got a deal I could not pass up on this British GA Dunn and Co LTD of London. The seller had listed it as size 54 to 56 though I’m pretty sure those markings on the liner referred to the address on Oxford Street. It does however fit perfectly. An obedient deep dark black felt fairly thick with a nice hand to it. It sports a nice tall crown and approx two inch brim with a narrow strip of grosgrain binding only on the underside of the brim tacked on with a single row of stitching. I would not rule out that this one may have met up with “RoundingJack the Ripper” as the brim does appear not to be perfectly even all the way around. Some of that appearance may be from slightly frayed brim binding. It is possible it had a wider binding at some point maybe like a homburg. Just a guess. I do not know much about GA Dunn and Co (later Dunn and Co) other then what I read in a few threads on the lounge. But it appears they phased out the GA part of the name after founder George Arthur Dunn passed away in 1939. The GA Dunn and Co logo on the liner and sweat may point to a 1930s hat. If anyone has any better info it is appreciated.

View attachment 332497 View attachment 332498 View attachment 332499 View attachment 332500 View attachment 332501 View attachment 332502 View attachment 332503 View attachment 332504

Thank you Matt for the well wishes. Much appreciated

Probably similar to JC Penney and Co rebranding as Penney’s in the 50s All the big brands shortened their names over time for marketing purposes.

It makes sense that over time whoever was making the hats used different components like sweats and liners as rebranding took place.

when I saw the sellers photos I thought I could see the glare of a plastic liner cover which had me thinking 50s hat. However in hand I realized it was a sort of sticker that only covered directly over logo. Haven’t seen this really on any of my US made hats. Other than Sometimes a logo sticker on unlined hats.

The sweat is very soft supple and thin. Doesn’t feel like a 50s/60s sweat. The logos I don’t think look like the really old ones (20s or older). But again that was based on the stuff I saw in the threads.

So it kinda leaves me to think 30s to 40s. Kinda a wide window I know. and I may not even be in the ballpark :D

either way I really do like the hat.. but pre war would be very cool.

This brand is way outside my experience zone... so all I had to go by was those posts. Maybe someone with more experience in UK and European hats could provide more insight like @steur @PanosChris
Well, I'll add my 2 cents. First of all: it's a nice looking hat, Joe, so a good catch. I have been wondering about the G.A. Dunn and Dunn&Co sweatbands and liners and I agree mostly with Matt, that the different names don't conclusively tell us something about the age of the hat. I do think though that the G.A. Dunn was more prevalent in the pre-war years for sure and gradually the Dunn&Co took over. The reason for this is that Dunn&Co didn't make hats themselves, but sourced them from various manufacturers from Stockport (like T&W Lees) and Denton. A likely explanation for the different names being used in the same decade is that the hats came from different manufacturers. Some may have had stock of the older sweatbands and liners and some already worked with the newer ones.
The liner and sweatband on this hat both suggest an earlier hat. The later ones have a far more simple liner design. I'm leaning towards forties. The idea that this was once a different hat and most likely a homburg seems plausible to me. The crudeness of the brim edge is not like Dunn at all: their hats are always well finished.

A new arrival.
Hückel Extra velour hat. Size unknown, but feels like a size 56 (maybe a 55). Overwelt brim at 5cm and crown at 10,5cm at the center dent. Dates from before WWII, but feels a bit smallish in its proportions for a hat of that age. Someone has taken a pair of scissors to the sweatband at one point for some reason, because it is uneven. Unfortunately no label inside the hat. Made for the French market.
huckel extra_01.jpg
huckel extra_02.jpg
huckel extra_03.jpg
huckel extra_04.jpg
huckel extra_05.jpg
huckel extra_06.jpg
huckel extra_07.jpg
huckel extra_08.jpg
huckel extra_09.jpg
huckel extra_10.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads