Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Funny—thanks! Is there a model name? Is 1940s right?

I can't see enough to say for sure, but it's at least 50s (based on the maple leaf in the crest of the liner tip). Probably mid-50s or earlier (based on the 3X rondel). If the sweat is in good shape, the re-order tag may be of some help, but I feel pretty good about mid-50s.

The 3X was/is a quality designation, so it's likely impossible to determine an actual model - if there is one. 3X Stetsons have come in various styles, the most often seen is the Open Road versions, but there are 3X quality hats in a variety of styles, including ones that resemble particular models. I have one that looks very much like a Playboy, for instance.

While your hat has many Strat-like qualities, the dimensions would be unusual for a Strat (though not unheard of). Most Strats have a 5 1/2" open crown and 2 1/2" brim. We do see others, but they are few and far between. It's actually a higher quality level than a Strat normally would be. Most are Royals, with a few Royal Deluxes that show up from time to time.

Mighty44

One Too Many
I can't see enough to say for sure, but it's at least 50s (based on the maple leaf in the crest of the liner tip). Probably mid-50s or earlier (based on the 3X rondel). If the sweat is in good shape, the re-order tag may be of some help, but I feel pretty good about mid-50s.

The 3X was/is a quality designation, so it's likely impossible to determine an actual model - if there is one. 3X Stetsons have come in various styles, the most often seen is the Open Road versions, but there are 3X quality hats in a variety of styles, including ones that resemble particular models. I have one that looks very much like a Playboy, for instance.

While your hat has many Strat-like qualities, the dimensions would be unusual for a Strat (though not unheard of). Most Strats have a 5 1/2" open crown and 2 1/2" brim. We do see others, but they are few and far between. It's actually a higher quality level than a Strat normally would be. Most are Royals, with a few Royal Deluxes that show up from time to time.

Great info—thanks. Unfortunately there is no label, unless it is underneath the liner but that is extremely well sewn in so can’t be lifted easily.

For a long time I've wanted a wide-brim strat that was beat up enough that I wouldn't mind using it as an everyday hat and not worry too much about throwing it in the back of the car for a hike, getting some weather, etc. Really pleased with this one, with a 3" brim, and happy with the bash I steamed into it. I think this is probably from the 1940s -- can anyone confirm? There is no plastic liner and the felt is really soft and slightly floppy -- a great hat for keeping the sun off. View attachment 353432 View attachment 353433 View attachment 353434 View attachment 353435 View attachment 353436

Stetson didn’t start using the keyhole size tag with mixed number (whole number and fraction) sizing until the mid to late 1950s and it continued using it well into the 1960s. Before then Stetson used size tags with just the fraction (e.g., a size 7 1/4 was labeled “1/4” etc.).

It’s not a Stratoliner, but for my tastes it’s better than a Strat! The three inch brim is just about perfect, and the 3X felt of that era is pretty nice stuff. Congrats!

Funny—thanks! Is there a model name? Is 1940s right?
The timeline for official state abbreviations & Zip Codes.by USPS can often help. The official State Abbreviation for Pennsylvania didn't become PA until mid-1963.

5-jpeg.353436

IMG_7008.jpg

https://about.usps.com/who-we-are/postal-history/state-abbreviations.htm

For a long time I've wanted a wide-brim strat that was beat up enough that I wouldn't mind using it as an everyday hat and not worry too much about throwing it in the back of the car for a hike, getting some weather, etc. Really pleased with this one, with a 3" brim, and happy with the bash I steamed into it. I think this is probably from the 1940s -- can anyone confirm? There is no plastic liner and the felt is really soft and slightly floppy -- a great hat for keeping the sun off. View attachment 353432 View attachment 353433 View attachment 353434 View attachment 353435 View attachment 353436
Great hat

Very interesting—though in this case the whole thing is upper case.

Yeah, upon reflection I thought of that, too. Since it's not actually used as a postal abbreviation, it could be colloquail. I think it is a clue, however.

More on the Direct Hat Shop:

"An article in the March 23, 1946, issue of The Gazette and Daily, reports “Charles A. Sollenberger, owner of the Direct Hat Shop, has bought the Milner Hotel, 9 East Philadelphia Street, at the northeast corner of George and Philadelphia streets.” Mr. Sollenberger operated the Direct Hat Shop, for 18-years, at 101 North George Street, in the first floor of the 40-room hotel. Although Mr. Sollenberger became the owner, he continued to utilize Milner Hotels to manage the hotel."

Sollenberger eventually changed the name of the hotel to the Direct Hotel and it was demolished in 1975. No word on the hat shop. An Obituary from the Harrisburg paper in 2002 indicates a gent named Cohen at one time owned operated the Direct Hat Shop, but doesn't indicate when the hat shop went out of business.

A summary history of the location prepared for the York Historical Society and dated 1979 indicates Mr. Cohen took posession of the property in 1966.

Mighty44

One Too Many
Yeah, upon reflection I thought of that, too. Since it's not actually used as a postal abbreviation, it could be colloquail. I think it is a clue, however.

More on the Direct Hat Shop:

"An article in the March 23, 1946, issue of The Gazette and Daily, reports “Charles A. Sollenberger, owner of the Direct Hat Shop, has bought the Milner Hotel, 9 East Philadelphia Street, at the northeast corner of George and Philadelphia streets.” Mr. Sollenberger operated the Direct Hat Shop, for 18-years, at 101 North George Street, in the first floor of the 40-room hotel. Although Mr. Sollenberger became the owner, he continued to utilize Milner Hotels to manage the hotel."

Sollenberger eventually changed the name of the hotel to the Direct Hotel and it was demolished in 1975. No word on the hat shop. An Obituary from the Harrisburg paper in 2002 indicates a gent named Cohen at one time owned operated the Direct Hat Shop, but doesn't indicate when the hat shop went out of business.

A summary history of the location prepared for the York Historical Society and dated 1979 indicates Mr. Cohen took posession of the property in 1966.

Great find! I’ve heard York is a beautiful town—might have to take the hat on a visit one of these years.

You might be right but I'm finding a hodgepodge in my examples. Couldn't find a quick pic of my 1910's Western dress hat but here's some quick pics all pre-1960.

1920's Stetson Boss Raw Edge
IMG_2183.jpg

1920 Stetson Exposition Hamburg
IMG_6781.JPG

IMG_6780.JPG

1930's Stetson Nevadan No.1Q
IMG_8644.jpg

IMG_8645.jpg

~1960 Stetson OR
IMG_3991.jpg

It would appear they used all caps but the abbreviations varied in practice.

I guess I'm missing your point, or you mine. Stetson was based in Pennsylvania & Stetson embossed the hat. I doubt they would have gotten the state abbreviation wrong.

I think he's making a distinction between PA and Pa. Since the Direct Hat imprint is all caps, it would look kind of funny to have the last letter lowercase. I doubt it was that uncommon to use all caps before the USPS decided to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran