Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
View attachment 395332

1920's Stetson Select "The Fray”
Midnight Navy Blue - Thin Light Weight Felt
5 1/4 Crown
Bright Orange Grosgrain Ribbon
2 1/2" Brim with whip stitched edge
Double row of brim stitching

My goal of late with new hats has been to only go for hats that are rare, old or unusual and unlike others in my collection… Or hats that really just “Speak to me”. This one managed to check just about all the boxes. In fact this one not only spoke to me on its own.. it also spoke to me via friends Anthony and @BobHufford. @Garrett was kind enough to work out a deal with me on this beautiful hat that I just knew had to be in my collection. But it wasn’t till the hat arrived that I realized there may have been a reason this hat was “speaking to me”. I mean as if I needed a reason other than the beautiful dark midnight blue felt that is so thin and easily shaped… it the realm of Vita-Felt. Or other than the wildly unusual bright Orange ribbon. Or the I have not come across a 1920s Stetson Select The Fray… if not for any of those reason… as I looked at it today.. I realized looking at the sweatband that the the store where this hat was originally sold matched my own sir name. (Unless I am miss reading the script… but certainly close enough). Oh yes… this hat has come home where it belongs. Thank you again to Garrett for being a rock star! And to Bob and Anthony for somehow knowing where this hat needed to be.

View attachment 395338 View attachment 395337 View attachment 395339 View attachment 395334 View attachment 395335 View attachment 395336 View attachment 395333 View attachment 395340 View attachment 395341

By the by…. I can’t help but think of the gentleman who walked into McCarthy The Hatter in Lafayette, Indiana in the 1920s and saw this gorgeous midnight blue hat with its bright Orange ribbon nestled among a sea of grey and black hats… and said “That one… that one right there! That’s the hat for me!”

That's a real stunner, Joe. Good show!

Rumad

One Too Many
View attachment 395332

5 1/4 Crown

My goal of late with new hats has been to only go for hats that are rare, old or unusual and unlike others in my collection… Or hats that really just “Speak to me”. This one managed to check just about all the boxes. In fact this one not only spoke to me on its own.. it also spoke to me via friends Anthony and @BobHufford. @Garrett was kind enough to work out a deal with me on this beautiful hat that I just knew had to be in my collection. But it wasn’t till the hat arrived that I realized there may have been a reason this hat was “speaking to me”. I mean as if I needed a reason other than the beautiful dark midnight blue felt that is so thin and easily shaped… it the realm of Vita-Felt. Or other than the wildly unusual bright Orange ribbon. Or the I have not come across a 1920s Stetson Select The Fray… if not for any of those reason… as I looked at it today.. I realized looking at the sweatband that the the store where this hat was originally sold matched my own sir name. (Unless I am miss reading the script… but certainly close enough). Oh yes… this hat has come home where it belongs. Thank you again to Garrett for being a rock star! And to Bob and Anthony for somehow knowing where this hat needed to be.

View attachment 395338 View attachment 395337 View attachment 395339 View attachment 395334 View attachment 395335 View attachment 395336 View attachment 395333 View attachment 395340 View attachment 395341

By the by…. I can’t help but think of the gentleman who walked into McCarthy The Hatter in Lafayette, Indiana in the 1920s and saw this gorgeous midnight blue hat with its bright Orange ribbon nestled among a sea of grey and black hats… and said “That one… that one right there! That’s the hat for me!”
WOW!

Here we are with the new year and a recent discovery of 2022.
m-volga-2-jpg.395076

It has come out a new source of Borsalino here half a kilometer from my office, bequest of an old gentleman
m-volga-5-jpg.395077
Borsalino Qualità Extra Extra Superiore size 6 or 59 cm. and 7 3/8 in the USA.

The color and type of felt is called "M. Volga" and the type of hat band is written in pen (c. Joe 24), as you can see.
m-volga-interno-jpg.395080

The hat is unlined and light enough with a very soft and malleable felt, made of furs+wool finished with heather colors and a medium furs
m-volga-4-jpg.395082

The gentleman used a lot the Borsalinos which are the core of his collection, all shaped like this one
m-volga-1-jpg.395084
The dimensions are: the brims, over-sewn, are 5.5 cm, the crown at its lowest point is 11 cm. and the trimming ribbon is 3 cm.
m-volga-3-jpg.395085

I bought the ones I liked the most, taking into account that all of them have had continuous use
That is a beautiful longhair heather felt, Daniele. Really like the look of it. I might be coming down with a fever, because I even like this ribbon on this one.;)

The second and last Borsalino of the January 2022 series, I left the others to the heirs, not because they are not very interesting, but because I have too many.
View attachment 395097 Borsalino Qualità Extra Extra Superiore size 5 1/2 or 58 cm. and 7 1/4 in the USA.
View attachment 395098
The color and type of felt are called "Opale" and the hatband is "Nera" the type of hat is Dol_osan, I can't read the fourth syllable.
View attachment 395100 The hat is lined and light enough to be super malleable.
View attachment 395101
The shape is the original one after the hat has been "restored" from too many folds given by an inaccurate storage
View attachment 395103
The dimensions are: the brims, over-sewn are 6 cm, the crown at its lowest point is 10 cm. and the ribbon is 4cm. pleated
View attachment 395104
This felt is also special, finished with a short fur, continuous color and beautiful touch and malleability.
The hats were all bought in the same shop in Verona that I vaguely remember
Another lovely Borsalino. Great colour and the longhair finish and shark gill ribbon and bow give it that little extra.

Dunn & Co. Ltd London Provinces, "Austrian Velour", "Romeo", English Size 7 1/8 possibly mid to later 1930s. Based on the paper label format I believe this hat was made by Anton Peschel Neutitschein (APN). I would like to thank Panos for making this fantastic Austrian Velour available to me. The Velour is all around (color, finish and hand) really fantastic. The Velour is more Close Cropped and has high gloss. The Velour is also very pliable but still holds it's shape. All the components are of high quality and the condition is excellent. APN Soft and Stiff Felt Hats are rare finds so major props to Panos.

51820684979_a483f09776_h.jpg

51820446533_d1c7059d02_h.jpg

51821413890_e8fc61cd22_h.jpg

51821493070_a29fdc6f64_h.jpg

51820813053_87ca55296a_h.jpg

51821419960_27c4e3b5c1_h.jpg

51820696891_a21c5a9d82_h.jpg

51821423665_3aef421c17_h.jpg

Open Crown

51820307367_f83b0c2a5a_h.jpg

51821981035_10c4bea7b5_h.jpg
These are the hats we all hope to find. Simply gorgeous.

View attachment 395332

5 1/4 Crown

Garrett knows his hats. The colours are killer. I can see why you chose this hat, Joe.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
There has been a lot going on in my world this winter and it has been a loooong while since I posted pictures. I hope my TFL card is still valid!

Perhaps not the last, but certainly one of the last old dye black cherry felts courtesy of Northwest Hats. I figured, if this was the last of its kind, why not do something special. Mike is a master bowler maker, so why not let him do what he does best! I hope the color comes through in some of these pictures. The silver/grey ribbon and binding really make the rich red stand out.

BC 1.jpg BC 2.jpg BC 3.jpg BC 4.jpg BC 5.jpg BC 6.jpg

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Last but not least, an Other-than-eBay find a few months ago.

Advertised as:
Wool - no.
Bowler - no.
Black - YES.

This is a black Stetson Royal Stetson homburg with a 1 3/4 black ribbon. The hat is in perfect condition. Initially I was concerned that it was not a St. Regis as are so many Stetson homburgs. When I had it in-hand, it became much clearer. According to the reorder tag, this hat was made in Canada. I assume that could explain the lack of the St. Regis branding. There is a keyhole size tag but no clear liner, so I'm going with late 40s, early 50s?

H 5.jpg H 6.jpg H 7.jpg H 8.jpg H 9.jpg H3.jpg H 1.jpg H 2.jpg H4 .jpg

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
There has been a lot going on in my world this winter and it has been a loooong while since I posted pictures. I hope my TFL card is still valid!

Perhaps not the last, but certainly one of the last old dye black cherry felts courtesy of Northwest Hats. I figured, if this was the last of its kind, why not do something special. Mike is a master bowler maker, so why not let him do what he does best! I hope the color comes through in some of these pictures. The silver/grey ribbon and binding really make the rich red stand out.

View attachment 396235 View attachment 396236 View attachment 396237 View attachment 396238 View attachment 396239 View attachment 396240

You will always be valued as a righteous member of all parts of the FL, Randy. Good to see you posting again.

Hope all is well, my friend.

MisplacedHillbilly

One of the Regulars
Thank you Gary! Nor I… but definitely fabulous. I am kinda feeling that with this hat being very attention grabbing… I will be best to tone down whatever I wear with it. Like it’s almost a jeans and tshirt pairing
Tone down!? I figured a hat like called for dialing it up to 11!
mp,504x498,matte,f8f8f8,t-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
8bd0eed999069bb922fdfe3876f51bb5.jpg

This coming from a guy whos most adventurous wardrobe choice is is a yellow plaid flannel shirt or a red one :rolleyes: ;), cool hat btw!

Last but not least, an Other-than-eBay find a few months ago.

Advertised as:
Wool - no.
Bowler - no.
Black - YES.

This is a black Stetson Royal Stetson homburg with a 1 3/4 black ribbon. The hat is in perfect condition. Initially I was concerned that it was not a St. Regis as are so many Stetson homburgs. When I had it in-hand, it became much clearer. According to the reorder tag, this hat was made in Canada. I assume that could explain the lack of the St. Regis branding. There is a keyhole size tag but no clear liner, so I'm going with late 40s, early 50s?

View attachment 396260 View attachment 396261 View attachment 396262 View attachment 396263 View attachment 396264 View attachment 396265 View attachment 396266 View attachment 396267 View attachment 396268
Three fabulous new additions. Good to see ya around Randy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy