Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Not a new acquisition (I have had it for a couple of years) and as I have not posted it (and there seems to be no dedicated thread) here is my mid-Late 50's BeaverBrook Fifteen stingy brim. Interesting to note is that it is actually Debossed into the sweat..."Fifteen Dollars" never have seen another hat mention the "Dollars" anywhere other than the size and/or blocking tag.....this had is a nice taupe/moss green with a felted edge brim. Really nice feel to the felt. Well made hat.....
1649099938390.png

1649100029319.png
1649100072692.png
1649100096494.png

1649100179097.png

Last edited:
Very cool Dale! Looks like Mr. Poulton was not yet on his own in 1909.

Spencer (@Dinerman ) had one:

Thanks Bob!!

I did a little investigating after seeing your post. It's barely visible any more, but there is a stamp inside the sweat band like in @Dinerman's hat.
Screenshot_20220405-051257.jpg
20220405_051437.jpg

The first pic is the one yo shared of his. The second is what's in mine. I can barely make out the end of Harrisburg across the bottom, and it looks like the last couple of numbers are 24.

Here is another hat I have had a while, that I picked up for trade bait (or sell I guess:oops:) A early 50's (or late 40's) Stetson RD in the Whippet style....note the wind trolley.....(forgot I had it..just ran across it earlier this week:rolleyes:). It is a nice medium dark grey....no blue tone (just photographed that way.....oilcloth tip protector.
IMG_20220407_073636.jpg
IMG_20220407_073646.jpg IMG_20220407_073545.jpg IMG_20220407_073523.jpg IMG_20220407_073509.jpg IMG_20220407_073446.jpg

Here is another hat I have had a while, that I picked up for trade bait (or sell I guess:oops:) A early 50's (or late 40's) Stetson RD in the Whippet style....note the wind trolley.....(forgot I had it..just ran across it earlier this week:rolleyes:). It is a nice medium dark grey....no blue tone (just photographed that way.....oilcloth tip protector. View attachment 416667 View attachment 416668 View attachment 416666 View attachment 416662 View attachment 416661 View attachment 416660
Very nice, Mark. Shouldn't be a problem finding a new home for that one.

Dobbs Twenty 7 1/8 project hat:

View attachment 416739 View attachment 416740 View attachment 416741

More in the Dobbs Diner.
Lovely hat, Brent. Hard to not save a stray puppy!

First one is this one. I certainly don't need another black homburg, but I was intrigued.
Borlesso homburg in black. Size 57 (I think, because it's too wide for me) with the brim at 6cm and the crown at 10cm at the center dent. Sold by Tolstrup Jensen in Randers, Denmark. No labels inside the hat. Just a stamp with the name Helmuth Bech, Adelgade 8, Randers (likely the owner). Couldn't find out anything about either Tolstrup Jensen or Helmuth Bech. Older hat, judging by the material used for the liner. It is also probable the brand name was an attempt to cash in on the Borsalino brand. The hat is nice enough though, with a lovely hand to the felt.

borlesso_01.jpg

borlesso_02.jpg

borlesso_03.jpg

borlesso_04.jpg

borlesso_05.jpg

borlesso_06.jpg

borlesso_07.jpg

borlesso_09.jpg

borlesso_10.jpg

borlesso_11.jpg

Thanks to John (@moehawk ) this fabulous Dalton landed on these northern shores. Rest assured: it is not alone.
Dalton homburg/camber style hat in a natural colour they do so well and depending on the light varies between light grey to sand. Very soft felt which creases wonderfully. Weighs just over 100 grams. Love it.

dalton homburg_01.jpg

dalton homburg_02.jpg

dalton homburg_03.jpg

dalton homburg_04.jpg

dalton homburg_05.jpg

dalton homburg_06.jpg

dalton homburg_07.jpg

dalton homburg_08.jpg

dalton homburg_09.jpg

dalton homburg_11.jpg

Some great recent finds, Stefan. That Dalton is a show stopper!

Is there an articulable distinction between a camber and a homburg?

Some great recent finds, Stefan. That Dalton is a show stopper!

Is there an articulable distinction between a camber and a homburg?
Thanks, Brent. The Dalton is quite something for sure. The camber style doesn't have a pronounced curl to the brim the way a homburg or lords hat does. The Dalton is somewhere in between: it does have the brim curl, but not as pronounced as you'd expect from a homburg. It does lean more towards a homburg though.

Thanks, Brent. The Dalton is quite something for sure. The camber style doesn't have a pronounced curl to the brim the way a homburg or lords hat does. The Dalton is somewhere in between: it does have the brim curl, but not as pronounced as you'd expect from a homburg. It does lean more towards a homburg though.

Thanks, Stefan. Regardless of what it’s called it’s a great hat.

Léon homburg in grey (called "cloud" on the label). It was sold to me as a "large hat" , but it turned out to be a size 56 with the brim at 5,5cm and the crown at 10cm at the center dent. A nice sleek looking homburg. Léon was located on 21 Rue Daunou on the sit of the "American Dream" pub, bar and restaurant. The sweatband has a stamp of Jan Chapelier, which was located on 14 Rue de Roma in Paris. Neither of them is the maker of the hat though. The label inside the hat betrays it as being English made, almost certainly by Moores, who as we've seen also made hats for Berteil.

leon moores_01.jpg

leon moores_02.jpg

leon moores_03.jpg

leon moores_04.jpg

leon moores_06.jpg

leon moores_07.jpg

leon moores_09.jpg

leon moores_10.jpg

The Moores label (more square in shape that the other English manufacturers)
leon moores_11.jpg

The location of 21 Rue Daunou
The_American_Dream,_21_Rue_Daunou,_Paris_2006.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Everything about a Homburg speaks distinguished. They were usually seen topping off a fine, made-to-measure, pin stripe suit, back in the days when appearance meant something. Colour of choice was mainly black or sometimes a dark navy blue. That lovely specimen would give the wearer many an enviable glance. I wouldn't be able to resist making a quip if I had bumped into someone by accident, "sorry, I had my head in the clouds!"

Staple_Inn 1585.jpg
The Showbar Inn's inspiration. The Staple Inn, High Holborn, London. Built in 1585.

Everything about a Homburg speaks distinguished. They were usually seen topping off a fine, made-to-measure, pin stripe suit, back in the days when appearance meant something. Colour of choice was mainly black or sometimes a dark navy blue. That lovely specimen would give the wearer many an enviable glance. I wouldn't be able to resist making a quip if I had bumped into someone by accident, "sorry, I had my head in the clouds!"

View attachment 417104
The Showbar Inn's inspiration. The Staple Inn, High Holborn, London. Built in 1585.
Thanks, Robert. The homburg opens doors, that's for sure.

...Borlesso homburg in black. Size 57 (I think, because it's too wide for me) with the brim at 6cm and the crown at 10cm at the center dent. Sold by Tolstrup Jensen in Randers, Denmark. No labels inside the hat. Just a stamp with the name Helmuth Bech, Adelgade 8, Randers (likely the owner). Couldn't find out anything about either Tolstrup Jensen or Helmuth Bech. Older hat, judging by the material used for the liner. It is also probable the brand name was an attempt to cash in on the Borsalino brand. The hat is nice enough though, with a lovely hand to the felt.

borlesso_01.jpg
Beautiful hat, but I couldn't help but wonder if the "brownish" tint/hue of the crown ribbon and bow are visible when the hat is in your hands, or if that's more of a photographic artifact? I've seen more than my fair share of brown hats with a black ribbon, but black with a brown ribbon is far more rare and I like the look.

BTW, damn nice group of hats you brought home!

Beautiful hat, but I couldn't help but wonder if the "brownish" tint/hue of the crown ribbon and bow are visible when the hat is in your hands, or if that's more of a photographic artifact? I've seen more than my fair share of brown hats with a black ribbon, but black with a brown ribbon is far more rare and I like the look.

BTW, damn nice group of hats you brought home!
Thanks, Al. Had to look at both hats again in daylight and the brownish tint on the Borlesso is definitely noticeable. The ribbon has a lighter tone to it than the Sools hat. Question is though if that was always the case or if it is caused by the fading over time of the black ribbon. No way of telling, but I have seen fading of older ribbons before on hats, so it's certainly possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy