Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mark_m

New in Town
New to the hat world... Found a haberdasher in Portland OR (new to Portland as well) and walked out with a new Mayser "Felix" after trying on six or eight hats. The Mayser just kind of melted onto my head and wanted to stay there. It's extremely thin (practically weightless) and soft, rabbit, and I have no idea if that reflects on quality or just a way of making hats. It was $235 so I figured (hoped anyway) it must be decent quality. Definitely comfortable and I wore it most of the next few days.
IMG_1566.jpg
IMG_1571.jpg
IMG_1572.jpg
IMG_1573.jpg

Three days later I found some Stetsons on CL and bought one in new condition for $80. No model name on it but it's Sovereign and substantially heavier felt. Also fits very well. I don't imagine it's very vintage but seems nice. By measurements it's not very different from the Mayser but visually it's bolder and swoopier while the Mayser looks very conservative and taught, very German I would have to say, stylistically.
IMG_1564.jpg
IMG_1565.jpg
IMG_1561.jpg
IMG_1562.jpg

Maybe too many images, next post I'll try just thumbnails...

Attachments

• IMG_1562.jpg
    IMG_1562.jpg
    781 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1561.jpg
    IMG_1561.jpg
    853.3 KB · Views: 22

mark_m

New in Town
Now a few more days down the road and I just bought two Wormsers on eBay. I realized I need some hats in addition to black or at least that's my excuse:) I don't have them yet but I'll see if I can get the pics off the listing to post here...

First is kind of fun, I have it in mind to wear with a sweater of similar character here while it's chilly and wet..
s-l1600.jpg s-l1600.png s-l1600x.jpg s-l1600x.png s-l1600xx.png s-l1600xxx.jpg s-l1600xxxx.jpg

mark_m

New in Town
And secondly a more traditional fedora, perhaps "stingy brim"...
wormser1.jpg wormser2.jpg wormser3.jpg wormser4.jpg wormser5.jpg wormser6.jpg wormser7.jpg wormser8.jpg wormser9.jpg
I'm looking forward to this one!

I hope this is not too long a first post (in three parts) ! I'm interested in any and all information about any of these, my first four fedoras all acquired in less than a week:) Of course after I bought the Mayser my next two days were exploring the forum here and looking about online at hats:)

View attachment 504074 View attachment 504075 View attachment 504076 View attachment 504077 View attachment 504078 View attachment 504079 View attachment 504080 View attachment 504081 View attachment 504082

I hope this is not too long a first post (in three parts) ! I'm interested in any and all information about any of these, my first four fedoras all acquired in less than a week:) Of course after I bought the Mayser my next two days were exploring the forum here and looking about online at hats:)

Good start and welcome to the FL. Don't worry about the pics or the posts. I prefer if people post full pics rather than thumbnails, anyway. It's a pain in the butt to have to enlarge them to see them correctly.

And we have folks around here who answer yes/no questions with a wall of text, so you're good.

View attachment 504074 View attachment 504075 View attachment 504076 View attachment 504077 View attachment 504078 View attachment 504079 View attachment 504080 View attachment 504081 View attachment 504082

Welcome to the lounge. What a start…. I see the bug has bitten. Buckle up!

mark_m

New in Town
Thanks for the warm welcome:)
I have a few questions that are kind of yes or no; any length of response is welcome:)
1) Is the worst beaver felt better than the best rabbit?
2) Is heavier felt preferable to a thin light felt or are those just preferences like a heavy shirt vs a lightweight shirt?
3) Do any of the current in-production hats represent really good value for the money? I know there are some small independent hatmakers that seem like they might be competitive with a nicer production Stetson or Mayser.

I have a few questions that are kind of yes or no; any length of response is welcome:)
2) Is heavier felt preferable to a thin light felt or are those just preferences like a heavy shirt vs a lightweight shirt?
3) Do any of the current in-production hats represent really good value for the money? I know there are some small independent hatmakers that seem like they might be competitive with a nicer production Stetson or Mayser.

1. Yes, no, maybe. Many fine hats have been made with rabbit or hare., particularly European hats such as Huckel or Borsalino. While beaver is very desirable, most vintage hats are made with some sort of rabbit/hare blend, possibly with some beaver as well. Manufacturers are loathe to divulge their fur blends, so unless you get a hat you know is 100% beaver (like a modern custom), you'll really never know. Personally, if the felt is good felt and the hatter has worked it properly, it doesn't matter to me. Some folks will tell you they can tell if a hat is beaver, but I don't see how that's possible (unless it's a 7X Clear Beaver from Stetson).

2. Depends on what you want. A nice, thin felt is desirable for summer wear, and a substantial felt will be nicer in the winter months, and likely take more of a lickin' and keep on tickin'.

3. Akubra. And most of us will opt for a custom over a new Stetson.

Not at all. Some of (most?) of the best vintage fedoras didn’t have any beaver content.

Complete personal preference. I like thin dense felt that is moldable and easily shaped and reshaped.

I’m not a fan of any of the current production hats. I just can’t find any that have the felt properties, the blocking, and the build quality I like. That’s not to say that there aren’t factory made hats that aren’t good quality or that others might find meet their needs perfectly.

Akubra is regularly spoken as the best value for money. I like them too. The problem is that as I get more hats I’m not willing to accept any that aren’t just what I want and only a few Akubras check all my personal boxes.

9E730855-4716-48C1-9E09-C9572ADC1DF1.jpeg

Resistol - Beaver 15 - Medium Taupe
Beautiful Kitten Finish Medium Taupe felt
Approx 5 3/4 open crown - 5 1/8 as shaped
1 3/4 Antiqued Pewter Grosgrain Ribbon
2 5/8 brim with hand felted edge
Wind Trolley

Here is the first of two Resistol Beaver 15 in Kitten Finish that arrived off of much appreciated tips by @Randall Renshaw and @BobHufford . I have one other Resistol Beaver 15 Kitten Finish fedora from this era that came to me in nearly mint condition and remains one of my “special occasion” kind of hats. My experience with that hat led me to the conclusion that you do not want to pass these up when they come your way at a fair price.

Both of these hats arrived and appear to have been stored open crowned for some time and needed nothing more really than a brushing. As clean as they appeared.. I brushed out a huge cloud of dust that had accumulated in the felt. The felt is a beautiful light to medium taupe (grey/brown) that has an incredible hand to it and molds like soft butter. Just a fingertip guides the felt into shape but somehow remains very obedient. The antiqued pewter to medium brown grosgrain ribbon provides a beautiful contrast to the light colored felt and the generous 2 5/8 brim is finished (or should I say started) with a luxurious hand felted (Cavanagh) edge. Contrary to what I thought I saw in the sellers photos… the liner tip protector is in fact the oil skin variety as opposed to a clear plastic. A few tiny pin point blemishes here and there along with the size tag broken off are about the only imperfections on this hat.

Even though I remember my previous Resistol Beaver 15 to be quite special… I don’t remember the felt having quite the quality of this one. I Will have to pull that one out and compare soon.

I would put this Fifteen dollar hat up against any Twenty I have handled from Dobbs or Knox. No slouches in their own right. More than likely, I’d choose this hat quite handily.
32A77845-146F-47E0-9880-CA36027B162F.jpeg
26498C3A-F8DB-4199-B56E-1D587ECDF1E0.jpeg
BB9CB47F-221A-4E45-8D9C-7C8538072601.jpeg
49B6B37D-DD56-4CB5-BE08-DFF88A07BD9F.jpeg
51CC2EFB-5314-4E89-85FD-63BAB2BC2F11.jpeg
C57EE9F3-CF71-4796-BF97-81E2553A9E43.jpeg
36233CC9-B5BE-444E-A354-ED55999B7D58.jpeg
C32C4C6A-4668-4AFB-82BE-185F5A39BEA2.jpeg
3079C285-82A5-4EBD-BE75-2A917AC18546.jpeg

View attachment 504337

Wind Trolley

Here is the first of two Resistol Beaver 15 in Kitten Finish that arrived off of much appreciated tips by @Randall Renshaw and @BobHufford . I have one other Resistol Beaver 15 Kitten Finish fedora from this era that came to me in nearly mint condition and remains one of my “special occasion” kind of hats. My experience with that hat led me to the conclusion that you do not want to pass these up when they come your way at a fair price.

Both of these hats arrived and appear to have been stored open crowned for some time and needed nothing more really than a brushing. As clean as they appeared.. I brushed out a huge cloud of dust that had accumulated in the felt. The felt is a beautiful light to medium taupe (grey/brown) that has an incredible hand to it and molds like soft butter. Just a fingertip guides the felt into shape but somehow remains very obedient. The antiqued pewter to medium brown grosgrain ribbon provides a beautiful contrast to the light colored felt and the generous 2 5/8 brim is finished (or should I say started) with a luxurious hand felted (Cavanagh) edge. Contrary to what I thought I saw in the sellers photos… the liner tip protector is in fact the oil skin variety as opposed to a clear plastic. A few tiny pin point blemishes here and there along with the size tag broken off are about the only imperfections on this hat.

Even though I remember my previous Resistol Beaver 15 to be quite special… I don’t remember the felt having quite the quality of this one. I Will have to pull that one out and compare soon.

I would put this Fifteen dollar hat up against any Twenty I have handled from Dobbs or Knox. No slouches in their own right. More than likely, I’d choose this hat quite handily.
View attachment 504338 View attachment 504339 View attachment 504340 View attachment 504341 View attachment 504342 View attachment 504343 View attachment 504344 View attachment 504345 View attachment 504346

Fan-freakin-tastic! I like everything about that hat, Joe.

View attachment 504337

Wind Trolley

View attachment 504338 View attachment 504339 View attachment 504340 View attachment 504341 View attachment 504342 View attachment 504343 View attachment 504344 View attachment 504345 View attachment 504346

Resistol made a killer dress hat back in the day - I'm a big fan. Those two you picked up were a great find and a steal. Good job (with two assists).

View attachment 504337

Wind Trolley

ALL KINDS OF AWESOME!!!!!
And on the help.....
1680621928427.png

View attachment 504337

Wind Trolley

Superb catch, Joe. It has all the bells and whistles. Especially the colours work like a charm.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
View attachment 504337

Wind Trolley

Just wow!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana