Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Shoe

One Too Many
You know it's going to be a good day when a package arrives from everyone's favourite Dutchman.

View attachment 505657

I'll post these individually over the next few days.

View attachment 505658

Their arrival was a real cheering up shot in the arm after having broken my wrist a week ago.

View attachment 505659
Whenever I hurt myself as a kid, Dad would offer to hurt the other side more, to help me forget about the original injury. I think hats are definitely a better form of therapy.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
You gents had a heck of a week with your hat acquisitions.

Not such a good week for the arm, Steve! Take care.

This hat was generously gifted to me by Daniele @Daniele Tanto. So a big thank you goes to Verona for this one. Funny thing is I've never seen a Fléchet homburg before. Apparently not a model they saw as a market for them. They probably should have though, because it's a very fine quality hat.
Fléchet qualité superieure homburg in dark brown. Size 56 with the bound brim at 6cm and the crown at 11cm at the center dent. Liner used to have a cellophane covering as there are traces of it left on the liner. Nice hand to the felt, but it takes a bit of work to shape it.

flechet homburg_01.jpg

flechet homburg_02.jpg

flechet homburg_03.jpg

flechet homburg_04.jpg

flechet homburg_05.jpg

flechet homburg_06.jpg

flechet homburg_07.jpg

flechet homburg_08.jpg

flechet homburg_09.jpg

flechet homburg_10.jpg

You know it's going to be a good day when a package arrives from everyone's favourite Dutchman.

View attachment 505657

I'll post these individually over the next few days.

View attachment 505658

Their arrival was a real cheering up shot in the arm after having broken my wrist a week ago.

View attachment 505659

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
How bout a hat that is in the process of becoming new?
This is that 20s, or so, EMKO brand nutria kettle curled western I got this week.
Was listed as a 6 7/8.
Turns out it’s a size 7 1/8!!!! Yay me!!!!
I can easily make her stretch to 7 1/4+
She’s already on the block and the sweatband is doing well while getting sized up on my specially made stretcher.
The 100 plus year old sweat is in as new condition and even has a new dress shoe shine! Definite remnants of a scalloped size sticker over the sweat seam.
Great old hat!
Was a learning curve getting the crown over the hat block while not being able to use the brim to pull down on….much. Otherwise the kettle curl could have been ruined.
Lost a 1/4” of brim width to the now taller and bigger crown, which is also what I was shooting for.
The brim was 3 1/4” wide to outside curl on the sides. Now its 3” brim and 5 3/4” crown suits my old western preferences.
Ended up selling that high dollar 50s Stetson nutria kettle curl hat that I snagged recently from Jesse—to Mike in Rome, so this was a great low buck and a bit better replacement to me.
Mike’s happy, and well should be, with the two he now has, so everyone’s happy!
After three failed attempts at this style of hat I finally got me one to keep, guys!

Before pic:
4B3449E7-55C0-4668-9874-79BB48AB0E7C.jpeg

A7BE640B-BF31-46A7-8239-9CCD6E38A659.jpeg
C03ABB10-AF69-480C-A33D-500D9DE31FF9.jpeg
No other labels or info were present, unfortunately.
65EFF4F5-6218-4424-ADC7-5484239E63BD.jpeg

I’ll provide after pics when I get er all back together.

Last edited:
This is that 20s, or so, EMKO brand nutria kettle curled western I got this week.
Was listed as a 6 7/8.
She’s already on the block and the sweatband is doing well while getting sized up on my specially made stretcher.
The 100 plus year old sweat is in as new condition and even has a new dress shoe shine! Definite remnants of a scalloped size sticker over the sweat seam.
Great old hat!
Was a learning curve getting the crown over the hat block while not being able to use the brim to pull down on….much. Otherwise the kettle curl could have been ruined.
Lost a 1/4” of brim width to the now taller and bigger crown, which is also what I was shooting for.
The brim was 3 1/4” wide to outside curl on the sides. Now its 3” brim and 5 3/4” crown suits my old western preferences.
Ended up selling that high dollar 50s Stetson nutria kettle curl hat that I snagged recently from Jesse—to Mike in Rome, so this was a great low buck and a bit better replacement to me.
After three failed attempts at this style of hat I finally got me one to keep, guys!

Before pic: View attachment 505782
View attachment 505777 View attachment 505775 No other labels or info were present, unfortunately. View attachment 505776
Looking good Randall.

Was listed as a 6 7/8.
Great old hat!

View attachment 505777 View attachment 505775 No other labels or info were present, unfortunately. View attachment 505776
That looks like it's going to be a good one. Wasn't bad before mind you.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Looking good Randall.
Thanks, Joe! Can’t wait to wear this’n! Wish I knew more about this unknown brand and hat. The seller said it was her Dad’s, who was a size 6 7/8. It had definitely shrunk to a small 7 1/8, plus had a newspaper folded behind the sweat that was later added and dated 1950. So, likely not the original owner.
Wonder if it was a hand me down from his Dad’s.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Was listed as a 6 7/8.
Great old hat!

Super hat Randall!
Any special treatment to the sweat band in the upsizing??
B

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Super hat Randall!
Any special treatment to the sweat band in the upsizing??
B
Thanks, B!
Yes, a lil bit.
4” pieces of doubled packing tape placed and stuck to the leather behind the rear seam to assist in holding together. Then a thick coating of Lexol conditioner is applied to both sides.
Install sweat on a modified, well tapered turnbuckle hat stretcher and stretched incrementally for a full day. Then leave at desired measurement for a few more days.
Works every time with no hiccups and zero ill effects if the sweatband is in great condition. Even works on some that aren’t completely perfect—with some ill effects, but not terrible. Dry, cracked sweats? No.

There’s a little more to it than mentioned and I’d recommend anyone willing to give it try to practice on some of the more modern, less desirable hats first.

Last edited:

Granville

One of the Regulars
Toronado by Stetson! Cool Green, brighter than my dark olives and olive browns, but not full Peter Pan. Purplish Brown ribbon. Trilby, of course, being a 60's era hat. Factory label ripped out, no size tag, but it fits right on my 7 3/8 head, as advertised. No moth damage, but I chucked it in the freezer just to guarantee it stays that way. The sweat is in great shape, but the ink is rubbed off on the logos, so this hat was definitely worn. No grease on the plastic tip, so I may leave it in. Got some beaver (3x, for what it's worth); sold out of Copenhaven's in Radford, VA.
IMG_1805.JPG
IMG_1797.JPG
IMG_1799.JPG
IMG_1800.JPG
IMG_1798.JPG

Obligatory Head Shot:
IMG_1793.JPG

Last edited:

quikrick

One Too Many
Toronado by Stetson! Cool Green, brighter than my dark olives and olive browns, but not full Peter Pan. Purplish Brown ribbon. Trilby, of course, being a 60's era hat. Factory label ripped out, no size tag, but it fits right on my 7 3/8 head, as advertised. No moth damage, but I chucked it in the freezer just to guarantee it stays that way. The sweat is in great shape, but the ink is rubbed off on the logos, so this hat was definitely worn. No grease on the plastic tip, so I may leave it in. Got some beaver (3x, for what it's worth); sold out of Copenhaven's in Radford, VA. View attachment 506406 View attachment 506410 View attachment 506408 View attachment 506407 View attachment 506409
Obligatory Head Shot:
View attachment 506411
Very cool. Looks great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW