Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Stetson 7X CB Western

4404780868_9fbda774e5_b.jpg

4404015921_e2c0745e4d_b.jpg

4404016843_740f525a16.jpg
4404017027_62c0de3513.jpg

4404780662_db0fde3bec.jpg
4404780420_6d7a3908a9.jpg

3" brim with whip-stitched edge. Needs cleaning and re-flanging but no moth damage. Sweatband is just over 2". Softer finish than later 7X CB's I have but still an ultra-dense and firm felt on the stiff side.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
3" brim with whip-stitched edge. Needs cleaning and re-flanging but no moth damage. Sweatband is just over 2". Softer finish than later 7X CB's I have but still an ultra-dense and firm felt on the stiff side.

Very nice - I especially like the brim treatment.

Dreispitz

One Too Many
rlk said:
4404780868_9fbda774e5_b.jpg

4404015921_e2c0745e4d_b.jpg

4404016843_740f525a16.jpg
4404017027_62c0de3513.jpg

4404780662_db0fde3bec.jpg
4404780420_6d7a3908a9.jpg

Well: if only I had a smaller haed .... :rage:
.;) C O O L !

rlk

I'll Lock Up
4404859834_1f2c8a952f.jpg

Flanging is like a semi-flattened Fedora. Marginal rear up-curl and slight front down slope(too firm a felt for a snap brim). Just looks like it isn't really anything in particular and doesn't seem right with the crown. Too noncommittal.

rlk said:
4404859834_1f2c8a952f.jpg

Flanging is like a semi-flattened Fedora. Marginal rear up-curl and slight front down slope(too firm a felt for a snap brim). Just looks like it isn't really anything in particular and doesn't seem right with the crown. Too noncommittal.
Being from a shop in El Paso, that flat brim shape has a Tex-Mex flavor to it, very anti-Taco Shell shape. Somebody posted a Zorro hat photo earlier with a very flat brim.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
gtdean48 said:
Being from a shop in El Paso, that flat brim shape has a Tex-Mex flavor to it, very anti-Taco Shell shape. Somebody posted a Zorro hat photo earlier with a very flat brim.
Here's a profile view(open crown), something seems odd[huh]
4404154357_caf104d738.jpg

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
billyspew said:
I received my new Adam today - my first "Marston", smaller brim than I usually sport, but will work for more informal situations. It also came with the wonderful Jack Paar Show stand.
4403403231_4ab3d524c5.jpg

Two very nice ones, bill. I really like the Triport and that stand with the Marston.

Mr. Paladin

rlk [IMG said:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4033/4404015921_e2c0745e4d_b.jpg[/IMG]

Rlk, that one is really interesting because S.D. Myres Saddle Co. was one of the premier saddle, holster and belt makers in Texas and the Southwest for years. I own one of their old holsters from the 1950's and several of the companie's newer rigs. They made pistol belts, holsters, and law enforcement leather gear for many of the legendary pistoleros of the 20th Century. I believe the company is now like many of the legendary hat companies though, defunct but still copied by a takeover name-El Paso Saddlery Co., though the leather gear is still nicely done, copies the old Myres style, and has the old flair. I had no idea they sold hats out of the El Paso shop before it closed in 1969.

http://www.vintagegunleather.com/company-marks/sdmyres_history.html

http://www.epsaddlery.com/default.aspx

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the interesting link. I wonder if the brim stitching was from Stetson or the shop?
Mr. Paladin said:
Rlk, that one is really interesting because S.D. Myres Saddle Co. was one of the premier saddle, holster and belt makers in Texas and the Southwest for years. I own one of their old holsters from the 1950's and several of the companie's newer rigs. They made pistol belts, holsters, and law enforcement leather gear for many of the legendary pistoleros of the 20th Century. I believe the company is now like many of the legendary hat companies though, defunct but still copied by a takeover name-El Paso Saddlery Co., though the leather gear is still nicely done, copies the old Myres style, and has the old flair. I had no idea they sold hats out of the El Paso shop before it closed in 1969.

http://www.vintagegunleather.com/company-marks/sdmyres_history.html

http://www.epsaddlery.com/default.aspx

I call it a Resistol Wanderer...

This is set up just like a Stetson Wanderer, a bound 2 3/4" edge like an Open Road with a ribbon treatment like a Stetson Playboy. I haven't seen a Stetson Wanderer in my size but landed this Resistol of similar configuration out of the 'Bay. More details in Resistol Roundup thread...
reswan1.jpg

Mr. Paladin

rlk said:
Thanks for the interesting link. I wonder if the brim stitching was from Stetson or the shop?

I would guess that the shop special-ordered the stitching; whip-stitched edging was a specialty of Myres and I would conjecture that someone thought it would be a catchy finish to a Myres stocked hat. Only my guess though. I can't find anything about it.

feltfan

ScottF said:
:arated: agreed - :cry: I have big-time hat envy over that one
Something tells me no one is cryin' for me, you, or JtL.
That is a darn nice lid, rlk. When I see one with such an
extremely narrow ribbon, I have to wonder if that was, in
the day, partly a way of indicating quality of workmanship.
What I mean is, if you look under the ribbon of some hats,
you see that they cover many sins. The super narrow ribbon
might be a way of saying, "I've got nothing to hide". Just a thought
(and it's certainly true of rlk's new 7X).

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Anonymous Straw Western

Thank you to all for the enthusiasm for the 7X.

Here's an interesting one on the opposite end of the original pricing spectrum:
4406317963_a0856146f3_b.jpg

4407083984_b861c65bdc_o.jpg

Was somewhat crushed and misshapen, but this type of straw responds instantly to steam and re-molds by hand and sets up again in under a minute. Came back together nicely. Baku perhaps?

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
feltfan said:
When I see one with such an extremely narrow ribbon, I have to wonder if that was, in the day, partly a way of indicating quality of workmanship. What I mean is, if you look under the ribbon of some hats,
you see that they cover many sins. The super narrow ribbon might be a way of saying, "I've got nothing to hide". Just a thought

I don't think so. These two Stetsons are only #1 quality and the Dobbs is low end as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic