Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stevechasmar

New in Town
Vintage Montecristi Panama Hat by Knox

I bought this Panama hat a couple months ago to replace one that was stolen during my move last year (and yes, I could strangle the movers). It's a vintage Montecristi made for the Knox 35 line of hats, and I'm guessing it was made in about 1950 -- please set me straight if you know otherwise.

I bought the hat online. The size of the weave is approximately 700 WPI, according to the merchant I bought it from, and it's quite supple. Overall, the condition is near flawless.

The hat was purchased to wear with my linen suit, and I think the style is suitably tropical. The hat band is rather thin -- I prefer a wider one -- but I think I can live with it.

Here is a question for anyone who can answer it: My usual hat size is 7 3/8, and this hat is marked as such, however, because I very recently went through chemotherapy and lost all my hair -- not to mention about thirty pounds -- my head seems to no longer be a 7 3/8. I reckon once my hair grows back and I get some more fat on my skull, the hat will probably fit (said with hands in appropriate prayer-like gesture), but only time will tell.

In the meantime, I am wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience, and if indeed the head does "fatten up" when lots of weight is gained.

Thanks!

Best,
Steven in Bangkok...
(...but now in Los Angeles recuperating from over two decades of debauchery in the wicked East)

Picture6.png

Picture7.png

Picture8.png

theinterchange

One Too Many
Resistol 3X Beaver Krushable

IMG_2279.jpg

Note, the hat is a Krushable, so the crazy seller packs it completely squashed. It come out of the box looking as if Ed Norton had styled it... the poor hat's still recovering from the shock of nearly a week crammed in a box.

I have to say this Kitten Finish is by far the softest hat I've ever felt.

Randy

Dreispitz

One Too Many
stevechasmar said:
I bought this Panama hat a couple months ago to replace one that was stolen during my move last year (and yes, I could strangle the movers). It's a vintage Montecristi made for the Knox 35 line of hats, and I'm guessing it was made in about 1950 -- please set me straight if you know otherwise.

I bought the hat online. The size of the weave is approximately 700 WPI, according to the merchant I bought it from, and it's quite supple. Overall, the condition is near flawless.

The hat was purchased to wear with my linen suit, and I think the style is suitably tropical. The hat band is rather thin -- I prefer a wider one -- but I think I can live with it.

Here is a question for anyone who can answer it: My usual hat size is 7 3/8, and this hat is marked as such, however, because I very recently went through chemotherapy and lost all my hair -- not to mention about thirty pounds -- my head seems to no longer be a 7 3/8. I reckon once my hair grows back and I get some more fat on my skull, the hat will probably fit (said with hands in appropriate prayer-like gesture), but only time will tell.

In the meantime, I am wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience, and if indeed the head does "fatten up" when lots of weight is gained.

Thanks!

Best,
Steven in Bangkok...
(...but now in Los Angeles recuperating from over two decades of debauchery in the wicked East)

Picture6.png

Picture7.png

Picture8.png

Sawadee krup Khun Steven!

A very nice hat, indeed. I can very well imagine you donning it downtown Bangkok in future. I does not fit right now? Mai pen rai jing jing! Have confidence and live a normal life and your hat will fit again. :) It is a good goal!

Please do keep us updated!

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wfSP8zB6jpo&hl=de_DE&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wfSP8zB6jpo&hl=de_DE&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Lefty said:
Pretty soon, nearly every hat on the market worth having will have been through ScottF's hands.

lol that is certainly not the case! For a while there I was picking up Montecristis so cheap that I couldn't resist. This particular one is a real beauty - bought to send to Optimo, but I couldn't mess with a hat in such pristine vintage condition. Hopefully the new owner will enjoy it.

As a disclaimer to my hat-acquisition habits, the only hats I pay much attention to any more are pre-1930 Stetsons, and that's out of historical interest, as I have plenty to wear.

Scott Wood

Practically Family
ScottF said:
lol that is certainly not the case! For a while there I was picking up Montecristis so cheap that I couldn't resist. This particular one is a real beauty - bought to send to Optimo, but I couldn't mess with a hat in such pristine vintage condition. Hopefully the new owner will enjoy it.

As a disclaimer to my hat-acquisition habits, the only hats I pay much attention to any more are pre-1930 Stetsons, and that's out of historical interest, as I have plenty to wear.
I am just starting to shop for my first Panama and I find more questions than answers :| Well, back to researching [huh]

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
My head didn't

stevechasmar said:

Thanks!

Best,
Steven in Bangkok...

At one point I weighed 260 lbs. I then dropped to 185 and now I back up to about 230. My hat size has been 7 3/4 LO through the whole experience.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Cracker said:
Here you go, my Stetson Medalist panama, worn while grilling burgers today. The seller replaced the sweat, but sent the original with the hat. I don't much like that pug hatband, so I got a black grosgrain today at Miller's.

IMG_8560.jpg

Dang, I think I have the same lid. I really have to get this hat rolling - wash and press the pug and get some side dents in it. Thanks for the inspiration.

I like your black ribbon, Cracker, but I think I'll keep the pug. :D

Scott Wood

Practically Family
A couple more shots of the new VS.
I am definitely looking over my collection much more critically and I will be tossing a few back into the bay.[huh]
Further to that I am also looking over swatches:eusa_doh:
100_0378.jpg

100_0380.jpg

100_0381.jpg

Guess I'll have to get Art to make me his Whippet:D

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Result of recent fishing trip arrives

Mallory Aristocrat, exactly as it came out of the box:
100_0356-1.jpg

100_0355.jpg

100_0349-1.jpg

100_0344-1.jpg

Needs a bit of cleaning, the brim edge and lining etc, but no moth chewing, worn felt or edges, unmarked sweat and the original price tag of $7.95!
Listed as a 50s([huh] ?) Mallory Aristocrat I got this virtually unworn lid for 43 bucks:D
Will post more pics as it gets cleaned up and all :D

p.s. 2 3/8 brim, 5 1/2 open crown, 1 3/4 ribbon

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Scott Wood said:
The model is Coast to Coast???
Would you hazard a guess at the age?
I just sent a message to someone that I thought might know the answers to these questions:eusa_doh: lol

Yeah, I think the model is coast to coast. 50s probably...not 100% sure though. Ask Jimmy, or Dinerman, they are the dating gurus!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen