Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Mallory Derby(non-denominational)

4768456396_69d633944f_b.jpg

4767817027_5af792637a_b.jpg

More in Derby Thread

rlk

I'll Lock Up
bendingoak said:
Nope, it's a Maltese cross. Before firemen wore leather helmets they wore bowlers like these.
Here's another with the same pattern, but I would describe it as an ultra-lightweight, unsuitable for hard hat purposes(its brown) an early 20th century Stetson.
4767867797_66743bbe18.jpg

bendingoak

Vendor
rlk said:
Here's another with the same pattern, but I would describe it as an ultra-lightweight, unsuitable for hard hat purposes(its brown) an early 20th century Stetson.
4767867797_66743bbe18.jpg

It wasn't used like a fire helmet. This would pre date any interior attack fire fighting.

bendingoak

Vendor
RobStC said:
Yes, I realise that, and did not mean to imply otherwise. Just that the chances of finding a similar Borsalino in the UK in that amazing colour are pretty much zero, therefore custom-made would be my only route. No offence meant, but I know that Art will work from a picture as guidance for a custom hat (which was why his name was mentioned), but would certainly be interested to know if you would do likewise.

Anyway, beautiful hat and great refurbishment job. Wear it long and happily :)

RobStC

I'm sorry but I missed your reply. I wish I could show you what I have done.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Sometimes a vent is just a vent...

bendingoak said:
It wasn't used like a fire helmet. This would pre date any interior attack fire fighting.
Firemen typically wore either caps or helmets depending on the job at hand(vast numbers of period photos are available). The cross shown is not particular to the Fire Department(not actually quite the correct one)and quite common on vented Derbies. Academic data about particular crosses is also readily available. The Fire Department actually use St. Florians rather than the Maltese Cross. Naturally an off-duty fireman can wear anything he likes. Could have belonged to a Knight Templar guarding the Holy Grail.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Dinerman said:
Baldness prevention did you say?

If you read thru a lot of the old sweatband patents.... most of them mention tight sweatbands cutting off bloodflow and causing baldness. Yes, there are a lot of sweatband patents and I have read thru many of them (I know how to have fun).

B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic