Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
4786633633_2623d86113_b.jpg

Exceeded expectations in every way. more photos later. A hint bluer than the photo.

Like it!

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
I grabbed this neat Portis Toss-Up from the bay a while back, and then forgot to post any pics - so here they are. A few more will be posted in the Portis Path.

The brim has spiral stitching and the nap (knap? knapp? knappe? hair!) is quite long:

4788773830_f0f5e0ab73_b.jpg

The band has some staining, but it only shows up well in photos; to the naked eye it's not as apparent:

4788773862_91536db533.jpg

Gentlemen, :eusa_clap very nice hats shown here. Neophyte, I like the look of your Squatter particularly. RLK, beautiful Stetson. Harp Player looking
Western "chic" with the hand-tooled hat band. Buler has some received some beauties, too!

Redwoodjedi

One of the Regulars
rlk said:
4786633633_2623d86113_b.jpg

Exceeded expectations in every way. more photos later. A hint bluer than the photo.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Wow! I would divorce my wife for that hat!......waydaminit......That's already happening.......I'll think of something!

HosManHatter

One of the Regulars
Some great lids,everybody!! :eusa_clap Welcome to TFL Mike and Larry,you are going to love this site!

Mike River(in Sacramento)--nice to meet a "neighbor" on here (Lodi). Stetson Andover is one of the straw fedoras that ranked high on my list.Good choice!
How is the Villiage Hat Ship? I still need to make a trip to Old Sac to see them(they were vert nice on the phone.

Blackthorn,that is one of the sweetest Panama hats I have seen.It`s got that traditional panama shape and look but doesn`t go overboard with the brim width or crown shape (like many panamas I see,IMH0). White weave and black ribbon give a dressy look. Have to check out PANAMA BOB.

Neophyte, (great user name,btw :) ) that felt fedora looks like it could have been worn in a 30`s/40`s gangster film. How wide is the brim on that bad boy? Close to 3"? Sharp fedora.

Joshbru3,congrats on a great find (of a great Champ)! That baby is really in excellent condition and even more so if it`s from the 1940`s. I dig that color too. What is the width of the original ribbon? Looks like maybe 1.5" or 1.75"?
I`m kind of "maturing" to the wider brim fedoras as well,Josh,they are more versitle it seems.

HarpPlayerGene,you made magic by switching out that silly rope "band" for that rugged leather one with that iconic leaf motif.I don`t wear cowboy/western hats but that one is sharp,bro!

Rlk,once again you have one of the nicest looking hats in the place! Don`t you get tired of wearing all those sweet lids? :p Gorgeous Stetson.

HMH

HosManHatter

One of the Regulars
Oops! Got so busy commenting on everybody else`s nice new hats I forgot to even list my own.

Here`s the link to the straw fedora I purchased from ebay.It should arrive this week.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220633026541&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It is a vintage 1940`s,new/never worn condition Champ straw fedora in "castle grey" color with a 5" high center dent crown,2" wide brim and a 2" wide ribbon with a tri-color design.

Anybody familar with this hat? I can`t find an actual model/style name but the tag lists: CASTLE GREY: (color)
CENTERDENT: (lot/crown)
BRIM: 2 1/2"
#15014 (style?)

Thanks!
HMH
(loves getting new hats! :) )

Dave E

One of the Regulars
Resistol Western, 4X Beaver. Came with a pheasant feather band thing which I instantly removed to return it to it's thin ribboned natural state.

Resistol2.jpg

Steamed it to add some dip to the brim at the front, but that's it. Part of me wonders about converting it from a Cattleman's crease, but I may well leave it as is.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dave E said:
Resistol Western, 4X Beaver. Came with a pheasant feather band thing which I instantly removed to return it to it's thin ribboned natural state.

Resistol2.jpg

Steamed it to add some dip to the brim at the front, but that's it. Part of me wonders about converting it from a Cattleman's crease, but I may well leave it as is.
I bought a 4X beaver Stetson like that on EBay, with the intention of reshaping the crown. My local hat man made it into a center dent with pinches, as usual. It looks fine. But in retrospect, it's not that different from the cattleman's crease, and not a great deal was gained by doing that. So if you left it as is, it would retain its character, and that might be excellent as well.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, HosMan'. And that Champ straw you scored looks like it'll be fun to wear!

---------

Dave E, those cattleman creases grow on you, don't they!? I think it's a winner as-is.

---------

rlk, that's a really good looking summer hat, man!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925