Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Garrett said:
Does that mean mine is a Crofut & Knapp as well? Same liner

IMG_4403.jpg

IMG_4399.jpg

IMG_4397.jpg

Wow, I missed this one as well! Sure enough, two early C&Ks.

Brad

jimmy the lid said:
Those hats are incredible -- well done!!! Man, I live to stumble across hats like that in an antique mall -- never happened yet! :(

Great lids...:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

Thanks! :) Less than 2 miles from my house.

One Too Many
No doubts to me ¡¡¡¡¡

Hi Brothers, greating to you ¡¡¡¡ I have not really doubts in the lounge, It is the best school to learn about hats, every day teachs sommething, great hats, great ladies and gentlemen in, I have learned a lot and nice time spend here.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Doc Average

One of the Regulars
I finally have something that I feel is worthy of being posted here among all these great hats! I picked it up in a local vintage store in Manchester for £30. I'd only just wandered in for a little browse on my way to the station. Right time, right place. And it fits! :D

DSCF3155-1.jpg

It's a beautiful Dunn & Co. (trilby? fedora? ;) ). Judging by the style and quality I'd say it's from the 1930s, but I can't be sure of that. Any opinions? There's a size sticker inside which also has the number "150". I read that this meant it was pre-WWII, but I can't back that up. Pretty good condition, apart from some minor moth damage.

Specs:

Crown height: 4 1/2 inches bashed, front and back.
Brim: 2 1/4 inches

I wanted to wait until I'd taken some better pictures (the lining is beautiful!) before I posted it, but my excitement got the better of me. More pics to follow!

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Cuenca...

This is the fine Cuenca I bought from Homero Ortega while in Quito, Ecuador.
Fine hat, back-woven brim edge. All their hats are like that and not folded and sewn. It came with a pug but I just finished sewing the ribbon I made. Very light, tight and evenly woven. My first bleached white panama!

Cuenca_homero2.jpg

Cuenca_Homero.jpg

Cuenca_Homero3.jpg

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Doc Average said:
I finally have something that I feel is worthy of being posted here among all these great hats! I picked it up in a local vintage store in Manchester for £30. I'd only just wandered in for a little browse on my way to the station. Right time, right place. And it fits! :D

DSCF3155-1.jpg

It's a beautiful Dunn & Co. (trilby? fedora? ;) ). Judging by the style and quality I'd say it's from the 1930s, but I can't be sure of that. Any opinions? There's a size sticker inside which also has the number "150". I read that this meant it was pre-WWII, but I can't back that up. Pretty good condition, apart from some minor moth damage.

Specs:

Crown height: 4 1/2 inches bashed, front and back.
Brim: 2 1/4 inches

I wanted to wait until I'd taken some better pictures (the lining is beautiful!) before I posted it, but my excitement got the better of me. More pics to follow!
Nice looking hat. Not every vintage hat is as nice. By the width of the ribbon I am guessing 1931. That the year of James Cagney's movie "Public Enemy," in which he wears a hat looking like that, in my recollection.

danofarlington

Aureliano said:
This is the fine Cuenca I bought from Homero Ortega while in Quito, Ecuador.
Fine hat, back-woven brim edge. All their hats are like that and not folded and sewn. It came with a pug but I just finished sewing the ribbon I made. Very light, tight and evenly woven. My first bleached white panama!

Cuenca_homero2.jpg

Cuenca_Homero.jpg

Cuenca_Homero3.jpg
Very nice. I'm happy you made it down there. My first visit to Ecuador in the mid 1980s started me on fedoras. I bought a hat that seems to be a Monetcristi, with fairly fine weave, on Amazonas Avenue in Quito, which then was the main high-end shopping drag. I really liked Ecuador, and purchasing a locally-made hat there made it even better. You are now the owner of an authentic Panama hat, getting it from the horse's mouth, as it were. So I hope to buy more from the Panama hat purveyors in the future, although without traveling to Ecuador.

Cool1

New in Town
Homero Ortega

Great looking hat! Haven't made it Ecuador, but will be in Argentina later this year. Any suggestions on where to look for great lids in Buenos Aires?

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Cool1 said:
Great looking hat! Haven't made it Ecuador, but will be in Argentina later this year. Any suggestions on where to look for great lids in Buenos Aires?

Sombreros Lagomarsino. They have a website, too.

Herzen

One of the Regulars
150719541 said:
2755221660106357411S600x600Q85.jpg

2521283980106357411S600x600Q85.jpg

2178915180106357411S600x600Q85.jpg

To sun light and hot I am wearing my straw hats, this Doobs was aquired in San Jose, Ca. the dealer said me that is a Florentine Milan Straw Hat made in USA, it is an excellent hat to sun light brightness summer.
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Lovely hat!:eusa_clap

Rick Blaine

Old Stetson "MOTOR" lightweight w/ old Ford pin

Stetsonmoteramndfordpism.jpg

fordpin_sm.jpg

Yeah, I was the one who snagged it. :eek:
Lovely tissue thin & kitten soft felt & the first 2 1/4" brim I've felt comfortable in.

The button was made only two scant years after the founding of the UAW and just months after negotiating recognition of the UAW by General Motors. The next month, auto workers at Chrysler won recognition of the UAW as their representative in a strike. But as for Ford - he had promised that "The UAW would organize Ford over my dead body."

These buttons were made the same year as the infamous "Battle of the Overpass" - on May 26, 1937, in which labor organizers clashed with Ford Motor Company security guards AKA "The Ford Service Department", an internal security, intimidation, and espionage unit within the company, which quickly gained a reputation of using violence against union organizers and sympathizer.

But at the time this button was made & worn it would still be three years until Henry Ford agreed to a collective bargaining agreement with the UAW.

So, what with Fords use of anti-union hired goons, it likely took some stones to sport these buttons at the time in Motown.

Happy Jack

A-List Customer
Rick Blaine said:
Stetsonmoteramndfordpism.jpg

fordpin_sm.jpg

Yeah, I was the one who snagged it. :eek:
Lovely tissue thin & kitten soft felt & the first 2 1/4" brim I've felt comfortable in.

The button was made only two scant years after the founding of the UAW and just months after negotiating recognition of the UAW by General Motors. The next month, auto workers at Chrysler won recognition of the UAW as their representative in a strike. But as for Ford - he had promised that "The UAW would organize Ford over my dead body."

These buttons were made the same year as the infamous "Battle of the Overpass" - on May 26, 1937, in which labor organizers clashed with Ford Motor Company security guards AKA "The Ford Service Department", an internal security, intimidation, and espionage unit within the company, which quickly gained a reputation of using violence against union organizers and sympathizer.

But at the time this button was made & worn it would still be three years until Henry Ford agreed to a collective bargaining agreement with the UAW.

So, what with Fords use of anti-union hired goons, it likely took some stones to sport these buttons at the time in Mowtown.
GOOD ONE
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael