Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chinaski

One Too Many
Royal Stetson DeLuxe Vita-Felt...

VF-5.jpg

Did I get the impression this hat came to you in a bit of a rough state? It really looks incredible now. Any hat you crease I'm going to start calling "factory creased." It looks that perfect. :eusa_clap Now please don't tell me you used a block on this one or I'll feel foolish:eeek:

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Did I get the impression this hat came to you in a bit of a rough state? It really looks incredible now. Any hat you crease I'm going to start calling "factory creased." It looks that perfect. :eusa_clap Now please don't tell me you used a block on this one or I'll feel foolish:eeek:

Many thanks, Chinaski -- much appreciated. :)

That one came with a diamond crease and a layer of accumulated dust. Since sending it out for cleaning always involves the risk that the sweatband may be lost in the process, I decided to give it a go myself with Scout Hat Cleaner (for dark felt). I am quite pleased with the results, and the foam cleaning helped shape the hat back into a perfect open crown, ready for creasing.

As far as the creasing itself goes, I do not own any blocks -- so, everything you see is done completely by hand.

As far as the "factory creased" aspect goes -- if you were to see one of my lids in person, you would see that there are telltale signs that the creasing is done by hand. My goal isn't to make creases that look factory creased -- my goal is to find a look for each hat that suits my own personal style.

And, that style isn't for everyone. I'm sure there are plenty of folks here who prefer a much more informal approach to creasing. The beauty of it is that hats ultimately reflect individual styles -- there's no right or wrong to any of it. And, believe it or not, I'm a big fan of the grab the hat and simply let it go where it wants to kind of crease, as well. It's all about context and character.

That being said, glad you like the Vita-Felt. ;)

Cheers,
JtL

Marshall

One of the Regulars
Well, my first fur felt that I won off ebay came a couple days ago. I have to say that my favorite part has just been playing with different bashes, pliable felt is more fun than I could have ever imagined.

Fedora1.jpg

Fedora2.jpg

Fedora3.jpg

Fedora4.jpg

Fedora5.jpg

Fedora6.jpg

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
I couldn't resist this hat and once I found out it had a leather sweat and silk lining..I bought one! It's the ZOOT by Scala and at 25 bucks it's a steal.
I can hardly begin to tell you of all the compliments I get with this hat, it's non-stop!! Everyone, everywhere loves this hat! I know it's not "old" and it's not a fur felt, but I love the style this hats got.
1000562k.jpg

1000574z.jpg

Marshall

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the kind words fellas, though I fear I'm already getting the itch to start looking for more hats. Maybe something in grey...:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy