Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
The Optolino!

Aureliano's green Borsalino velour body plus Optimo's ribbon, sweatband and liner combine to make a nice little hat...

IMG2650-L.jpg

IMG2656-L.jpg

Last edited:

RichardH

One of the Regulars
I don't know why the cattleman's crease doesn't get any love. All three of my ORs are cattleman creases and I like 'em.

Maybe it's a Texas thing...
That's funny! The cattleman's crease is what I associate with OR type hats, and I'm not a Texan, or American for that matter :p (Although my uncle, auntie & two of their children relocated to Houston, Texas earlier this year.. I hope to go visit them sometime next year.)

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Ale - yes generic liner and sweat. I suspect Graham only uses his branded items in the hats he makes.

The fit is great and the quality of the work is spot on.

The only thing that would improve it would be to have an extra half inch or so of crown height - still very wearable though. I glad I did it, it's like having a brand new hat with that super Borso felt at a bargain price!

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Ale - yes generic liner and sweat. I suspect Graham only uses his branded items in the hats he makes.

The fit is great and the quality of the work is spot on.

The only thing that would improve it would be to have an extra half inch or so of crown height - still very wearable though. I glad I did it, it's like having a brand new hat with that super Borso felt at a bargain price!

Glad to hear it worked out well. And that it went to your lovely home.

Last edited:

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Speaking of vent holes. I've been looking for the perfect light weight, rollable hat that will accompany me on my Friday soccer games after work. (I have to change from my work clothes in my office and head to the field, so rolling the hat to fit my sports bag is a must.) A few days ago I was able to buy a late 70s Cervo Traveler from Worth & Worth and decided to modify it a little. I have also been looking into vent holes and studying patterns from hats I've seen here. The tool to make this vents is virtually extinct. Art owns one that allows him to put a nice star pattern of vents. I saw a nice cross pattern in an old bowler someone posted here and after working together with my brother in law, an industrial engineer, we designed a tool that allowed me to create the pattern I wanted but would also allow me to make any pattern I'd want in the future. I can't talk much about the tool as we are going to try to patent it.

Here we go:
tiny, superficial moth hole under the ribbon
C-1.jpg

D-1.jpg

IMG_2575.jpg

IMG_2576.jpg

IMG_2579.jpg

Nice whip-stitched brim. Extremely light felt. Color "Carbone" (charcoal) as it reads the label under the sweat.

IMG_2569.jpg

Vents from Douglas' Portis. I based my layout on this hat. And cross pattern from bowler which I copied in my hat.

Portis.jpg

bowler.jpg

My Cervo.
IMG_2570.jpg

IMG_2572.jpg

Last edited:

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Removed the liner and made a crown sticker out of it.

IMG_2582.jpg

Maybe a tad too close to the crown sticker, but not bad for a first attempt. (BTW, even though the tool is pretty safe and easy to use, it was terrifying to do the holes. I did many, many others to practice before actually working on the hat itself)
IMG_2573.jpg

IMG_2581.jpg

Last edited:

randooch

I'll Lock Up
"Velly, velly interesting . . . ." (Ref: Laugh-In)

Nice pattern, and nice uniformity to the holes. I'm curious, why did you decide to position the pattern off-center towards the front?

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
"Velly, velly interesting . . . ." (Ref: Laugh-In)

Nice pattern, and nice uniformity to the holes. I'm curious, why did you decide to position the pattern off-center towards the front?

If you see the picture I posted of Douglas' Portis, that's how they did it back then so they can put the crown sticker with the brand of the hat as well. I wanted my hat to resemble the vintage work.

Here is another example: Al's Stetson select quality derby.

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Ale, I'm liking the Cervo and your idea with the vents.

Looks as though this is just what you needed. I always wonder if these little vents make a noticeable difference in warm weather?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara