Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

texasgirl

One Too Many
Lovin' all the new hats! Can the ladies post in here? I have finally taken some pictures of a couple new hats. Or is there a better place?

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
texasgirl said:
Lovin' all the new hats! Can the ladies post in here? I have finally taken some pictures of a couple new hats. Or is there a better place?

You are certainly welcome to post here.

surely

A-List Customer
I have no formal position here, but I for one would welcome some variety on this thread. I could never understand why gals get to wear all kinds of creations while us guys must conform to a limited range..[huh]

So texagirll post away!

(AlanC, I see our posts were 3 min apart! I'm so happy to see the Tenders and I are in agreement on this one!)

Boodles

A-List Customer
Ande, what a deal!

What great luck and you really spruced it up. You said that you "dunked it." Please fill in the details, if you don't mind. Dunked in water or, left in the sweat and the liner, left the ribbon on? I cannot yet imagine having the courage to do that. I've got a green stingy which is the correct size, but it could stand to be cleaned, and a gallon of naptha. I'm working up courage but need a few more posts from people like yourself and JT Marcas.

texasgirl

One Too Many
Here we go!

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Here is the hat my husband got me for Christmas from Vintage Martini. It's from the 20s and it's straw. It's little snug- there's a sweatband inside that's kinda torn up, so I think I may remove that. Looks like they stored it flat, so it has a crease down the middle. Not sure if I should keep it or try to steam it out?
IMG_2336.jpg

IMG_2338.jpg

IMG_2339.jpg

Here's one I picked up at the local Antique mall for $12. It has a black wool? brim with the crown made out of lace!
IMG_2340.jpg

IMG_2345.jpg

This one I just got at the Antique Elegance show. It's navy wool? with little studs all over and a ribbon. Sooo cute- and I got it for $35.
IMG_2327.jpg

IMG_2333.jpg

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wonderful hats, texasgirl. We always welcome posts from the Yellow Rose of Texas.

I believe your straw is meant to have the crease, which is typical of that style. It's usally called an optimo crown.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Ande1964, What a fantastic prize. That's the kind of find we dream about. You tweaked it perfectly. That color was intended for the guy who would own just one hat. I have a contemporary Temple in the same shade. By now, you've probably noticed that, in certain lighting situations, it looks black. In others it is brown. Then, in other light... Enjoy it!!! :) :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Ande1964

Practically Family
Thanks, J.T.. Boodles, it's because of J.T.'s expertise that I feel confident enough to dunk my hats. I simply dunk them in a cold water bath in the kitchen sink. Sometimes I remove the liner... sometimes not. Of course, I treat the sweat liberally with Lexol first.

You're not going to hurt a hat with a cold water bath if it's in pretty good shape and the sweat is supple. The only ill effect I've noticed is that, upon stretching while wet, the liner can get a little wrinkled in spots. That actually happened slightly with the Cavanagh. I didn't want to pull that liner because I'm sure it's sewn in better now than I could do it. I could remove it now and steam it smooth again, but it's fine for me.

Go forth and dunk!

Anj

J.T.Marcus said:
Ande1964, What a fantastic prize. That's the kind of find we dream about. You tweaked it perfectly. That color was intended for the guy who would own just one hat. I have a contemporary Temple in the same shade. By now, you've probably noticed that, in certain lighting situations, it looks black. In others it is brown. Then, in other light... Enjoy it!!! :) :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Great taste and great deals!

Ande, that hat turned out great! Looks as good just laying there as it does on you. Perfection in the look, the brand and the price. Bravo.

Texagirl, thanks for chiming in! You are quite the lucky hat purchaser and your husband is quite the lucky guy (playful wink).

All the best,

Gene

indycop

I'll Lock Up
texasgirl said:

Here is the hat my husband got me for Christmas from Vintage Martini. It's from the 20s and it's straw. It's little snug- there's a sweatband inside that's kinda torn up, so I think I may remove that. Looks like they stored it flat, so it has a crease down the middle. Not sure if I should keep it or try to steam it out?
IMG_2336.jpg

IMG_2338.jpg

IMG_2339.jpg

Here's one I picked up at the local Antique mall for $12. It has a black wool? brim with the crown made out of lace!
IMG_2340.jpg

IMG_2345.jpg

This one I just got at the Antique Elegance show. It's navy wool? with little studs all over and a ribbon. Sooo cute- and I got it for $35.
IMG_2327.jpg

IMG_2333.jpg
You made out like a bandit !:eusa_clap

RBH

Bartender
indycop said:
Man that is nice!! Neat plane too!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thanks IC, thats my TWA Stratoliner, it goes with my Stetson Stratoliner.:D

HarpPlayerGene said:
That's right, that WAS you. I checked this out by doing a search which led me to your first post about this hat. The thing I'm most jealous of is the box! Here's a peak at mine. I just love the darn thing.
Gene
DSC_0027.jpg

Thanks Gene, I like this hat also! What are the specs on this one?
This hat box has so much character, its one of my faves next to my Stratoliner box.:D

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Super Specs for RBH

"Thanks Gene, I like this hat also! What are the specs on this one?
This hat box has so much character, its one of my faves next to my Stratoliner box.

{I did my own lil' quote thing so I wouldn't keep copying my smiling face again...}

I bet my specs are the same as your Supernatural Panama hat:
Brim: 2-1/2"
Crown: 4" at front pinch, drops to about 3-5/8" at back.
This one's gotten a little brittle over the years and is cracking at the pinch. Need to figure out a way to arrest this before it runs further. Some shaggines is great in an old straw like this but gaping holes aren't the idea.
BTW: There's a paper tag inside the sweatband which folds out ('ve stopped exposing it because it too is very brittle) which has what may be the original owner's name on it and his phone number. His four digit phone number! Could be a product of the 30s through early 50s but not probably more recent than that I imagine.
Later, Gene

RBH

Bartender
HarpPlayerGene said:
I bet my specs are the same as your Supernatural Panama hat:
Brim: 2-1/2"
Crown: 4" at front pinch, drops to about 3-5/8" at back.
This one's gotten a little brittle over the years and is cracking at the pinch. Need to figure out a way to arrest this before it runs further. Some shaggines is great in an old straw like this but gaping holes aren't the idea.
BTW: There's a paper tag inside the sweatband which folds out ('ve stopped exposing it because it too is very brittle) which has what may be the original owner's name on it and his phone number. His four digit phone number! Could be a product of the 30s through early 50s but not probably more recent than that I imagine.
Later, Gene
My Supernatural has a 2 3\4 inch brim with the front crown at 4 1\4 and the back at 3 3\4.
You might try cloth medical tape on the inside where the split is at. i have had some luck using it, i have a newer stetson panama that I hid the split and you can not see it at all now.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
texasgirl said:

IMG_2336.jpg

IMG_2338.jpg

IMG_2339.jpg

IMG_2340.jpg

IMG_2345.jpg

IMG_2327.jpg

IMG_2333.jpg

Texas girl those panamas were hoods that were rolled to put in a tube or box and that one has an Optimo crease. Really it should be sent to Art to be reblocked and maybe stretched a little.

texasgirl

One Too Many
Thanks AlanC, HarpPlayerGene, Indycop, HungaryTom, and cookie!!! I appreciate the compliments and advice! I'll check in with Art or maybe take it over to Peters Bros- I've been wanting to get over to Ft Worth. Thanks again!!!

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
RBH: That's funny...

RBH said:
My Supernatural has a 2 3\4 inch brim with the front crown at 4 1\4 and the back at 3 3\4.
You might try cloth medical tape on the inside where the split is at. i have had some luck using it, i have a newer stetson panama that I hid the split and you can not see it at all now.

...I also have a "newer Stetson Panama" that came in a crushed shipping box. Although the seller had packed it well and shipped it promptly, it took a long time in the mail and arrived looking like an elephant sat on it. So it's a little weak in spots and may one day need repair.

So, I gotta' wonder; are you and I some kind of parallel universe, mirror image, Panama hat collection doubles or something? Weird - and fun.

All the best!

Gene

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
New Old Dobbs

Well folks, January and February were pretty active hat buying months for me. Thanks goodness the availability of my size and style has diminished greatly on EB because I need to make some credit card payments!!

Anyway, I'll be getting around to posting quite a few of the recent ones I acquired, like this Dobbs Hanover Square. It's one of my top five favorities for a variety of reasons (but then, I think I say that about 10 of my hats - ha). More pix available at link below!

DSC_0015.jpg

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii79/harpplayergene/Dobbs Hanover Square/

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
Notes to Mister Fawcett...

That is a fantastic hat! It is quite nearly what I envision as my ideal grey fedora, provided that is is grey, of course. The color in some of the images is nearer to a sort of tan.

The side profile is especially striking. You've given in a lovely crease. Could you tell me the brim width?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR