Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lloyd

A-List Customer
It's called a wind cord or trolley cord. Used to tie your hat to your coat so it doesn't blow away, although they are mostly decorational. I have several hats with trolley cords and I have been known to use them occasionally.

myshkin said:
Looks very luxurious. It's a shame it's been cut down.
Yes JHS made very luxurious hats. Here it is compared to my Hückel Sigma Velour so you can get idea what it might have originally looked like.

4155344949_509b43af24_b.jpg

5041929723_b83c284d60_b.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
Paper Mache Block

Found this today. A block from the Papier Mache Hat Block Co out of Hollywood,Ca. Phone Hillside 6989 might be a clue to its age. Is this for a newsboy/flatcap?

B

block_1.jpg

block_2.jpg

block_3.jpg

block_4.jpg

theinterchange

One Too Many
Resistol San Antonio

I just got this a few minutes ago. According to the seller, he had it cleaned, reblocked, and a new liner affixed by Optimo.

5045022580_b66afc9392_z.jpg

More pics and a quick run-through of the hat in the eBay thread.

Randy

carldelo

One Too Many
buler said:
Found this today. A block from the Papier Mache Hat Block Co out of Hollywood,Ca. Phone Hillside 6989 might be a clue to its age. Is this for a newsboy/flatcap?

B

I think the second and third photos are right-side up.
It looks like a block for a woman's hat with a large wedge crown to me.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
mayserwegener said:
I just received this old (probably 1930s) like new condtition Hückel Zypher Seal Velour. It is an amazing hat but it appears the brim was cut to a smaller size (similar to Robert's recent Mossant). Hard to believe someone would do such a thing.

Beautiful hat! I have a Dobbs 20 which is supposed to have a Guild Edge, but instead has a raw edge. Someone actually trimmed off a felted edge, probably in the 60s to make the brim smaller. Unfortunately I think that happened to quite a few hats when narrower brims became fashionable. Hopefully that's not happening this time around.

kaosharper1 said:
Beautiful hat! I have a Dobbs 20 which is supposed to have a Guild Edge, but instead has a raw edge. Someone actually trimmed off a felted edge, probably in the 60s to make the brim smaller. Unfortunately I think that happened to quite a few hats when narrower brims became fashionable. Hopefully that's not happening this time around.

Thanks! :) Possible but it looks like it was never worn. I have a feeling someone recently found it in NOS condition and tried to make it into a modern stingy brim. Sorry to hear that about your Dobbs 20. I also have an old Peschel Velour that got trimmed but not as bad as this Hückel.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
laotou said:
I'm guessing, fur felt, 84 or so.

That's exactly what and when it is. I have the exact same hat that I received for my birthday in '84. The fur felts were always so much nicer, obviously, than the officially licensed wool felts.

Brad

Lando

Practically Family
5051490627_5dd2d9d133_b.jpg

I bought the Dorfman Official hat on sale after I read that Milano made it and used a descent Beaver. I also wanted a hit I wouldn't feel so bad abusing during some travel. It all worked out pretty well lol.
5052110574_96132b4922_b.jpg

Silverbelly Indy Fedora from Peter Brothers. I really like their stiffer cowboy like fedoras sometimes.
5052111364_a2768b64c3_b.jpg

Beaverbrand all Beaver Dark Grey and Oxblood Ribbon

I posted all my new Optimos on the Optimo thread if anyone's interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats