Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
New Borsalino Allessandrio fished from the Bay. Seller says was his father's from the 40's or 50's, I guess it would be considered a homburg as the brim doesn't want to be snapped without distorting the hat. What say you, gentlemen?

IMG_0918.JPG

]

Come to think of it, I wonder if my own hat is that same one. Mine is not a nutria, but it could have started life as a homburg. The edges of the brim weren't curled when I got it, but the crown is untapered, and looks sort of fat when viewed from the front in its present center dent with pinches crease. It has a pretty low crown comparatively. If your hat brim is 2.5 inches, there's a good chance that what you have, is what I also have.

Fedora Jay

Familiar Face
Look forward to seeing that new Knox, Flute. While we wait, here is a Knox 20 I just received. I now have two 20's and two 40's to compare. These are both very nicely made hats and in many details, quite similar. The 20 felt is softer, the 40, denser and firmer. The 20 wants steam to form, the 40 is very easy to mold dry and holds a sharp crease well. I haven't worked on this hat yet. The liner has some hair product staining and the sweatband is a little dry. Of the four, this is the only one with a horizontal Knox brand stamp on the sweatband.

grayknox20_3.jpg

grayknox20_2.jpg

grayknox20_4.jpg

grayknox20_1.jpg

grayknox20_5.jpg

That's a beautiful color on that Knox. I have a 20 just like that but a little bit darker. Mine doesn't like to be reshaped dry either. Even steam wasn't enough for major changes. I eventually had to get some distilled water and a squirt bottle and dampened the whole crown. Then it took the shape I wanted, and has been holding fine.

scooter

Practically Family
Thanks gents, just got home from work. Appreciate all the input and compliments on my acquisition. Interestingly, I somehow thought a nutria was a small weasel or ferret like creature. I learned today that it is actually a fairly large semi-aquatic rodent. Somehow it changes my impression of a "nutria" hat. Also, nutria in spanish speaking countries is actually an otter, but the fur of the nutria we recognize is relatively prized.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Thanks gents, just got home from work. Appreciate all the input and compliments on my acquisition. Interestingly, I somehow thought a nutria was a small weasel or ferret like creature. I learned today that it is actually a fairly large semi-aquatic rodent. Somehow it changes my impression of a "nutria" hat. Also, nutria in spanish speaking countries is actually an otter, but the fur of the nutria we recognize is relatively prized.

A nutria actually resembles an otter whose tail managed to escape the inevitable (well - for an otter, that is) truck wheels... :D

Now that's a beauty. Perfection! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I absolutely love those light colored hats.

Thank you for the comments!

The color on this one is a good fit with my remaining silver hairs. Gave the Knox a steam cleaning, diamond crease and a bit of stretch to bring it back to 7 1/8.

back_to_school.jpg

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Every year in July I'm attending the world music festival in Rudolstadt (Free State of Thuringia). In GDR times there were a couple of nutria farms along the river Saale. After the demise of the Soviet block those farms ceased operations and it's not quite clear if the nutrias were subsequently released deliberately or if they simply managed to flee. In any case they have become part of the local wildlife population - the whole area is packed full of nutrias. You can see them almost everywhere along the Saale. If you're daring enough you can even hand-feed them. And while they're sporting some quite impressive (even daunting!) teeth I have to say that they are rather likeable critters.

This specimen here is actually from the Saale (a direct lineal descendant of a former GDR inmate, so to speak):

V52ck8.jpg

Last edited:
the last straw, almost

I won a few vintage Panamas during the past couple of weeks. This is the first to arrive. It will need a good cleaning and steam shaping and there are a couple of small weak spots in the weave that need attention as well... but all in all, a pretty nice older optimo for less than 30 dollars.

optimo2.jpg

optimo1.jpg

optimo3.jpg

optimo4.jpg

PHOTO_2879898_27521_5062477_ap.jpg

hand%20the%20hatter.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I won a few vintage Panamas during the past couple of weeks. This is the first to arrive. It will need a good cleaning and steam shaping and there are a couple of small weak spots in the weave that need attention as well... but all in all, a pretty nice older optimo for less than 30 dollars.
optimo2.jpg

Thats a great looking vintage optimo straw. It looks to be very high quality. Great find, Alan!!

Thanks Josh... I purchased a couple of others over the weekend. I think this one will be the roughest in terms of condition, probably the finest weave too. I find it hard to pass by a nice older Ecuadorean hat at auction. I start therapy tomorrow.

cheers,
Alan

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here

optimo2.jpg

hand%20the%20hatter.jpg

That is fantastic. Thirties or twenties, I suppose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy