Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
imgp9390.jpg
[/IMG]

GORGEOUS bowler, bowlerman!! I love those early Mallory bowlers. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Alan and Josh.
The Mal is definitely one of the most interesting hats I've come by, even if only for the mid 1930s Chicago-area newspaper sweatband padding. I'll probably need to add this one to the list of lids that need a new sweatband before too long, but I intend to enjoy it while it lasts.
You both have had some truly amazing acquisitions lately!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Alan; Wanted to drop a note about your posting of the 7X Stetson OR - CHEERS! You look dapper and stylish in the hat. Very good size, color and dimensions for you, IMO. Your posted hats are very classy and minty. Well done sir! No mock cowboy look, but rather a disctinctive look with that particular hat.

In fact, I have decided that I too would like to try a higher quality Stetson OR to see if it would be a good hat for me. Of the first couple of hats I picked-up was a well used 3X Open Road. I wanted to experiment with cleaning and bashing and thought it would do the trick. It does. I never was able to get it cleaned minty and the bash has been altered for hours. A good tool to practice with. The wearing this practice hat will get is yard work/backpacking and work on our vacation property. The 3X is a 70's hat and is incredibly stiff. (I bet if I threw it at an offending individual it would stop the bloke in their tracks and leave a contusion.) Does the 7X, 25X quality merit investing in one for wearing frequently?

Alan; Wanted to drop a note about your posting of the 7X Stetson OR - CHEERS! You look dapper and stylish in the hat. Very good size, color and dimensions for you, IMO. Your posted hats are very classy and minty. Well done sir! No mock cowboy look, but rather a disctinctive look with that particular hat.

In fact, I have decided that I too would like to try a higher quality Stetson OR to see if it would be a good hat for me. Of the first couple of hats I picked-up was a well used 3X Open Road. I wanted to experiment with cleaning and bashing and thought it would do the trick. It does. I never was able to get it cleaned minty and the bash has been altered for hours. A good tool to practice with. The wearing this practice hat will get is yard work/backpacking and work on our vacation property. The 3X is a 70's hat and is incredibly stiff. (I bet if I threw it at an offending individual it would stop the bloke in their tracks and leave a contusion.) Does the 7X, 25X quality merit investing in one for wearing frequently?

Thanks for your kind comments.

You might want to look through the threads on 7XCB, Stetson 100 and Stetson 25 (Lefty's signature is a resource for links!) and read the reviews. My .02 is if you come across a Stetson 7XCB in your size, buy it. I am less enthusiastic about the 25, though my experience is with a 1960s example. Stetson hats get more rigid as they get newer. My 25 is stiff and not particularly shapeable. It took a lot of steam and work to hold the crease. All of the 7X's I've touched (I own 4), regardless of weight or style (and only slightly changed by vintage) share a firm, moldable felt that is quite remarkable and different from any other hat in my collection. You'll enjoy it, I think.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Keith Brothers Hat Box

5756048102_20f6c13b62_b.jpg
5756050924_fa07d7740b_b.jpg

1930's Chicago Skyline, Michigan Ave. from The Stevens Hotel(Chicago Hilton) to the Tribune Tower. No guts, no hat, although Dinerman has one.

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Nice looking hat, Iwan Plomp, and a hearty welcome to the lounge!

The aberration with the ribbon occurs as a result of your image being resized, I believe.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Impercork Safari Hat from Kenya

5759624390_8e21b9f702_b.jpg

5759078843_8ed86e123c_z.jpg
5759076315_d31380df72_z.jpg

Not really new...its been in the family about 40 years. Genuine authentic simulated cheetah fur band.

Last edited:

ejbhats

A-List Customer
I am posting these pics for my friend Michael who will be commenting on them by quote. Michael lives in The Netherlands and has not gotten the pic posting hang yet!

split

New in Town
My friend Eric send me these hats recently. He thought that these wide brimmed hats would look good on me. He guessed right I think!
The first pic shows me in a very nice brown panama hat of which the brand is unknown to me. Maybe Eric knows...
In the second picture I'm wearing a great medium brown Society Club hat.
Perfect light weight hat. No liner and beautifull soft yet firm felt. And a nice bound brim. No doubt this will be one of my favorite hats.
Both are in excellent condition!

Not really new...its been in the family about 40 years. Genuine authentic simulated cheetah fur band.

Made me smile... my mother-in-law gave me a strip of leopard skin for a hat band when I was in NYC last week. Not sure where to put it. It probably came from her father-in-law circa 1930s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24