Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
[
IMG_2790.jpg

Yeah NICE, I want me one of these!

:D

dogboy27

New in Town
This photo was meant for the Black Sheep Hatter's thread. Not sure how it ended up here. Anyway, all it's missing is a wind trolley. Bob did an outstanding job.
Here is my version of the Gold Finch. This is Bob's photo - should have it by week's end

P1090973.jpg
ter

DJH

I'll Lock Up
This photo was meant for the Black Sheep Hatter's thread. Not sure how it ended up here. Anyway, all it's missing is a wind trolley. Bob did an outstanding job. ter

Well, it did land in the new hat thread, so I'd say that's fine.

Beautiful hat - you'll have to post more pics when it arrives.

mike2000t

New in Town
Ok, I need some honest input. I picked up this Dobbs Twenty on Ebay. It's in wonderful shape - looks better than my new Stetson as far as condition. I'm just not sure about the stingy brim. It was a bit shorter than I figured. Again, please be honest. I like the feel and quality of the hat, just not sure about the look yet.

Thanks,
Mike

IMAG0237.jpg
IMAG0236.jpg

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

PERSONALLY I hate stingy brims, so take this with that in mind. It appears that you're wearing the hat high on your head, higher than I usually do, and somewhat higher than others on the Lounge. This makes it appear that the hat is a size too small for you. Check the other pictures in this thread (I know it's long) and see if somebody's head looks about the same shape as yours, and check their style(s).

I hope this helps. Buying "mail-order" is challenging even when you know what brim / crown / crease you like.

scooter

Practically Family
Well, Mike, I tend to agree with 1961 in that I don't much care for stingys. having said that, I have a couple that I wear and think they look passable to good. I personally don't think that hat looks bad on you at all, although a wider brim might suit you better. If I were you, I'd hang on to it for a few months and see if it grows on you. Next big question, what does your wife think of that look?

mike2000t

New in Town
Thank you very much for the input. It is a bit snug, and after getting a fresh hair cut I may decide to sell it. My wife is hessitant on telling me what she thinks, only saying keep it if you like it. I just dont want to look like a goof.

Here is my other hat. A Stetson Downs I picked up at my wife's insistance a few months ago. I've always loved the look of hats and I am thankful that my wife talked me into this first hat.

IMAG0247.jpg
IMAG0245.jpg

If I decide to sell the Dobbs, I will do so here first. Like I said, the hat is as close to brand new condition as I can see. It's a snug 7 5/8 and was just blocked and cleaned by Keith at Alexander Hats.

Thanks again for the honest input,
Mike

EggHead

Practically Family
Mike, Dobbs looks a little small on your head. It may not be the short brim but the bash/crown shape. Try restyling the crown and it may fit better.

Stetson does look better on your head.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
I love seeing this when I check on the USPS status:

Out for Delivery

2012-01-25, 08:27:00, ORLANDO, FL 32806

I can't wait to get home ;)

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Thank you very much for the input. It is a bit snug, and after getting a fresh hair cut I may decide to sell it. My wife is hessitant on telling me what she thinks, only saying keep it if you like it. I just dont want to look like a goof.

Here is my other hat. A Stetson Downs I picked up at my wife's insistance a few months ago. I've always loved the look of hats and I am thankful that my wife talked me into this first hat.

IMAG0247.jpg
IMAG0245.jpg

If I decide to sell the Dobbs, I will do so here first. Like I said, the hat is as close to brand new condition as I can see. It's a snug 7 5/8 and was just blocked and cleaned by Keith at Alexander Hats.

Thanks again for the honest input,
Mike

Mike, I would say that based on the shape of your face, the Stetson looks much better on you. I have friends that wear Stingys because they have very small and thin faces, so when wearing a larger brim, it just looks foolish. On the flip side, many people look fantastic in large brimmed hats, it really comes down to preference and style. I know when I first got into hats, I only wore Stingys because I was self conscious about the brim size. VERY quickly I got into brims up to 2 5/8 inches, but it was really after I realized that my true love was the 20's and 30's, did I finally realize that my favorite brim size is 2 1/4. I'm not sure what the brim size on that Stetson is, but If I had to guess I would say it s a 2 1/2 or 2 3/8. I think thats a perfect size for you and maybe you could even go up to 2 3/4. Now crown height and taper is a whole different story......:)

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Seeing this always gets my heart pumping...
2b611f19.jpg

Here is the Stetson. It has the ribbon and edge stitching like a Playboy
f5d9f08c.jpg

It also has some dirt on the brim and a hole worn in the front pinch.
6656e304.jpg

The sweatband has been replaced - I'm guessing in 1956 by the note on the inside of the hat
a475ffeb.jpg

The note:
e5288715.jpg

This is the original reorder tag
ead95172.jpg

It has a 6-inch open crown
277bfff2.jpg

And a 2 3/4-inch brim on the front and back with 2 5/8-inch brim on the sides.
a17b4dfd.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy