Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
My hats from the Cheyenne, WY auctions took two weeks to arrive by Pony Express. All three are interesting, this one is the best.

recherche1.jpg

recherche2.jpg

recherche4.jpg

recherche3.jpg

6" crown, 2 1/2" brim with brown silk forming an 1/8" edge trim and completely lining the underside of the brim. This is a dress hat befitting its name - very light and supple felt of high quality. Silk 7/8" ribbon and exotic bow with twisted tassel for added pomp. 2 1/4" sweat is thin but remains flexible. 3.4 ounces. A little soiled and a little moth nipped, but all in all, condition is excellent and the hat still wearable with care. More pictures to follow.

I just seen your beautiful new hat Alan. All I can say is, "WOW!" Super nice find! Please post up a pic with you wearing it.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
rlk,
OMG ! now you need a vintage traveling salesman's coupe with a big trunk. like my 37 Lincoln Zephyr..
ive seen these coupe trunks modded to fit those sales rep's trunks.
Mine did not have a back seat & had a huge draw for the bonnet or access inside....
does your trunk fold down one side or top lift only or both? :cool:
232323232%7Ffp635%3C6%3Enu%3D3574%3E658%3E%3A%3B%3B%3E2665658%3B%3A%3C25%3Aot1lsi

pic was 25 years ago......:cool:

Last edited:

KC Capellor

One of the Regulars
Hi, guys, I've been away from the screen for a week and see so many great hats lately. Alan and Rabbit and everyone's looking so fine!

My latest arrival and oldest Resistol western yet, 1940's-50's(?) 5X Beaver, more in Resistol Roundup.

Cheers from K.C.!

davidraphael

Practically Family
It's not my size, but I couldn't resist buying this hat: The felt is very soft and lightweight. And you can breathe a crease into it and it will hold. Amazing hat.

Borsalino "Augusta" thin-ribbon Allessandria
from "A Cambini (Firenze)" ie, Florence

The white label says:
N6U 10517 (is there any way of dating it by this?)
Bromo (the color; bromine - chocolate brown. The nearest colour is image no. 6)
Driason

Next to the size tag there's another paper tag for EULAN (which means it is moth resistant)

Any ideas about the age? I'm also wondering what it's worth because it's something I might be willing to part with (Sale or swap) - it's truly a beauty but a torture to have around because it'll never fit me!

bors1.jpg

bors2.jpg

bors3.jpg

bors4.jpg

bors5.jpg

bors6.jpg

Last edited:
No time at all, really. I actually used a straight sided dome plastic hat shaper. If you're making lots of hats, like say for production, wood blocks are king, but if you're just a hobbyist experimenting and making a few hats for yourself, I find hat shapers are more than sufficient. They even have little ridges on the bottom of the block for the blocking cord which is handy.

The add-a-brim option isn't worth a crap though, and oddly glued onto the bottom of the block unless you otherwise request it not to be ( I had to remove mine with a dremel) Also, unlike with a wood flange it has a tendency to bend when weight (hot sandbag) is put on it. So you have to get creative.

Also contrary to popular belief, you CAN iron on hat shapers. They won't melt unless you do something stupid like leave the iron on it un-attended for a long time.

I'm actually making a block resembling a #52 in CAD to send to a local woodworker, really the only difference between my design and the straight sided dome hat shaper is there's more of a slight inward taper in the front, back and sides in the 52.

I'll post about the wood block, and how it turns out in another thread though.

I've always considered getting one of those hat shapers to reblock my hats. do you think you could use one without taking the sweat out of the hat?

Two new Optimo hats just arrived.

milk chocolate felt with a nicotine ribbon:

beatutiful!

Tropp the Hatter Philadelphia 5.5" x 2 1/2" mid grey, dress weight, cavanagh edge

I received this gorgeous hat from Steve earlier this week.
More info in the new thread Vintage custom hatters and lesser known vintage production hatmakers.

P1080927.jpg

that hat, in my mind is the essentials '1930's hat! brilliant!

that is a thing of beauty! I think I'm going to have to start looking in making something like that for my hat collection. how many hats does it hold?

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Ran across this Wormser Royal Luxury OR clone this morning. well worn, but in great shape. I couldn't pass it up, especially with the unreeded sweatband. I think I"m leaving the crease as is for now-- kind of unique with a sort of no rake torpedo shaped top with a ridge running through the middle. I also think I'm leaving it without front dents.

045rrx.jpg

046vw.jpg

047ik.jpg

048zo.jpg

050qt.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo