Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

facade

A-List Customer
IMG_20170713_082044873_HDR.jpg

Hit for the cycle at the flea market this week. Front row: Stetson Playboy, Stetson Stratoliner, Stetson Turf Club, Stetson Whippet. Back row: Penny's Marathon.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 79114

Hit for the cycle at the flea market this week. Front row: Stetson Playboy, Stetson Stratoliner, Stetson Turf Club, Stetson Whippet. Back row: Penny's Marathon.

YOU HAVE MY ATTENTION

one of the best hauls I have seen in a very long time ... looks to be a later Whippet when the dimensions started to change ...
are they all your size ?
ridiculous score !!!

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
neither have I .... hell ... I've never seen a hat store with anything like that.

I've heard of getting one or two decent hats at a flea market or estate sale ... but 5 ridiculous hats ???
Right? Incredible good fortune. I actually tried to get on the inside track at some local thrift stores with zero luck at all. A friend who used to work at Goodwill told me I was wasting my time as all their "good" stuff goes online now. Other than a little Montecristi straw for MrsFed I have come up empty on hats... but better on shirts, ties and suit coats.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Right? Incredible good fortune. I actually tried to get on the inside track at some local thrift stores with zero luck at all. A friend who used to work at Goodwill told me I was wasting my time as all their "good" stuff goes online now. Other than a little Montecristi straw for MrsFed I have come up empty on hats... but better on shirts, ties and suit coats.
there is a church run thrift store in my town called the Frippery
I go in a couple times a month and ask if any hats have come in
last summer when I went in to ask they said a woman had literally just left with 10 fur felt hats for $1 each ... $1 !!!! ... and that she owns a second hand shop in a town called Somerville where there a bunch of overpriced thrift and antique stores on this one street ...
I immediately drove to Somerville which is only like 15 min from me and found her .... wasn't too difficult

turns out the hats she had just bought for $1 each were now anywhere from $100 to $275 ...

she had some really nice lids ... really nice .. only one in my 7 1/4 that was a nice Mallory ... she wanted $200

I told her I had just come from the Frippery where she got them and that I knew what she paid ... asking if she would come down a bit

she wouldn't budge

that's what I deal with around here

estate sales are the best because they want to just move stuff and the prices are always fluid

off to the Frippery !!!

Last edited:

Best haul I ever had was last fall when I walked out of a local vintage shop with a Game Bird and Cross Country.

My searches lately at antiques shops, thrift stores and estate sales have been dismal.

I did find a 40s Adam hat box last Saturday for $5. Otherwise been striking out pretty regularly.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Best haul I ever had was last fall when I walked out of a local vintage shop with a Game Bird and Cross Country.

My searches lately at antiques shops, thrift stores and estate sales have been dismal.

I did find a 40s Adam hat box last Saturday for $5. Otherwise been striking out pretty regularly.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.
bro ... that Alessandria in the closet of an estate sale is a pretty rad situation

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
there is a church run thrift store in my town called the Frippery
I go in a couple times a month and ask if any hats have come in
last summer when I went in to ask they said a woman had literally just left with 10 fur felt hats for $1 each ... $1 !!!! ... and that she owns a second hand shop in a town called Somerville where there a bunch of overpriced thrift and antique stores on this one street ...
I immediately drove to Somerville which is only like 15 min from me and found her .... wasn't too difficult

turns out the hats she had just bought for $1 each were now anywhere from $100 to $275 ...

she had some really nice lids ... really nice .. only one in my 7 1/4 that was a nice Mallory ... she wanted $200

I told her I had just come from the Frippery where she got them and that I knew what she paid ... asking if she would come down a bit

she wouldn't budge

that's what I deal with around here

estate sales are the best because they want to just move stuff and the prices are always liquid

off to the Frippery !!!
She coulda sold it for $2 and doubled her money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner