Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Swann hat manufactured by the Swann Abram Hat Co., Louisvillle, KY. Not a lot of information or many hats out there that I’ve seen in regards to this co. Some American Hatter info from the 1880’s indicating they were in operation and a few other bits and pieces. Saw an ad from 1895 and an order card published in 1942 for “Victory Hats”. Saw a few writings that they were the first with the Kentucky Derby hats but I’ve found no examples. Nothing beyond the 1942 example. The former hat factory is now the Grady Hotel. A 51 room boutique spot near downtown Louisville. The lounge is called the Wild Swann. The only other hat I’ve found was a Clear Nutria fedora RLK had for sale in 2013.

This particular hat is also in Clear Nutria and is as black as a hole. Dimensions are 3 x 6 OC with a shoestring ribbon. Slight flange. The felt is a western weight that is very dense and fairly thin with a nice smooth finish. The brim is firm but workable and the crown is also firm but has that clay like malleability I associate with 7X CB’s and such.
View attachment 424015 View attachment 424016 View attachment 424017 View attachment 424018 View attachment 424019 View attachment 424020 View attachment 424021 View attachment 424022
cont.
Amazing find, Cuz! Always cool to have a little piece of history like that. Even more so when it fits.

I was a little gobsmacked at the final price - I figured the obscurity would keep it down. Wonder who your competition was?

All of the above.
5AE45843-8ECE-4B5E-B6DB-E406B324CA1C.gif

;)

Website says Toyo straw, not sure if that is the same as shantung.

It sure looks nice. I’ll take another look at Ultrafino again after seeing your hat.

In case you’re interested:

StoryPNW

Practically Family
It sure looks nice. I’ll take another look at Ultrafino again after seeing your hat.

In case you’re interested:

Thanks! That is an interesting read in the straw types thread. I'm not sure what the toyo straw means for durability, probably not super durable, but it does explain the nice lightweight nature of the hat.

Mighty44

One Too Many
A 1960s 3X OR with a few moth nibbles and a couple scuffs but otherwise perfect. I love this hat—my other OR has a 2 7/8 brim and this is 2 3/4. That 1/8 makes all the difference—this is really the max that I’m comfortable with, at least for walking around NYC.

Enjoy the day!

David
80A52AA6-EAB9-4B8C-94DD-E07A5A99D4B5.jpeg

mullitt

Familiar Face
Was in Milan on vacation and was staying half a block from Mutinelli, a hat store that has been open since 1888 and I'm pretty sure still family-run. After seeing many, many hats (mostly Borsalino, which I don't really care for the modern models of) from all the stacks around, I ended up with this wide brim fedora. It's rabbit felt and super soft, snappable brim and a wind cord. Made for the hat shop, it doesn't have a brand. Wore it around town and to the castle!
IMG_7764.jpeg IMG_2175.jpeg

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112