Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Hello guys. Sadly I found this forum too late. Can't find any advices in time.
I have one question for you, I will be glad if someone answer honestly. I blindly bought a wide brim hat recently and I think it not fits me, like its too big for my head and my figure.
  • 9 cm / 3.5” brim - brixton field hat

View attachment 443842

There’s a lot going on. The crown is relatively low and it has a lot of taper. The brim is fairly flat with some swoop.

Wether it looks good or not is something you need to decide. I love hats that my wife thinks look ridiculous on me. I spent one month on Facebook last Christmas and many of the “cowboy hat” group members didn’t like how I had my hats shaped or how they fit me. I left Facebook…pearls before swine in my opinion. My point is what one person thinks looks good is something others will dislike.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I have one question for you, I will be glad if someone answer honestly. I blindly bought a wide brim hat recently and I think it not fits me, like its too big for my head and my figure.

View attachment 443842
DD324141-7190-4316-963E-1B39D3BB719C.png

Who?

Practically Family
I would say to wear the hat for two weeks, and then see how you like it.

If it is loose on your head, stuff under the sweat band until it fits. It should shape to your head, unless it is grossly oversized.

Don’t worry about others, it is your hat, and only your opinion counts. Don’t be self-conscious. If I can wear the one in my avatar, and get an occasional compliment, you can certainly wear yours. (That is my current every-day hat)

I think it is just different enough to be interesting.

Last edited:

ILB Frank

One of the Regulars

View attachment 443842
Did you actually measure the brim yourself? I looked at the website and it says 3.5" brim but, proportionally, it looks more like a 4.5 - 5" brim... Maybe that's just me.
I can't tell by the single photo if it fits you or not. The hat looks good and if you are new to hats you may be self-conscious about it.
I would say that you should figure out if it fits and if it does, learn to shape the brim to your liking and wear it often and wear it well.

View attachment 443842
As others have said… I don’t necessarily think the brim is too big. Only you can make that decision... and really depends on the kinda look you want to go for… and things like how much sun coverage you want. The brim could definitely use some shaping though. The crown taper as Brent mentioned is less preferred by many here… though it is very common on modern hats… so I don’t think it is too much of an issue. A bit of work getting that brim in just the right shape… I think will do wonders.

There’s a lot going on. The crown is relatively low and it has a lot of taper. The brim is fairly flat with some swoop.

Wether it looks good or not is something you need to decide. I love hats that my wife thinks look ridiculous on me. I spent one month on Facebook last Christmas and many of the “cowboy hat” group members didn’t like how I had my hats shaped or how they fit me. I left Facebook…pearls before swine in my opinion. My point is what one person thinks looks good is something others will dislike.
Miss seeing ya over on FB. While it is true I do find more negative/judgy comments on some of the FB groups… there are also many supportive folk there... along with some past and present members of this great community here. I like to think the negative stuff is more because of the wider net than the group as a whole.

I get it though. You gotta go with what’s best for your psyche

Miss seeing ya over on FB. While it is true I do find more negative/judgy comments on some of the FB groups… there are also many supportive folk there... along with some past and present members of this great community here. I like to think the negative stuff is more because of the wider net than the group as a whole.

I get it though. You gotta go with what’s best for your psyche

I think TFL and the pre-1960s hats groups have a higher class of members. The Cowboy Hat group I was in was very active but had some seriously boorish characters.

View attachment 443842
I think a common thread with many folks that get into hats is that it takes a while to come to terms with what we like, what we think looks good on us, what we are fully comfortable wearing. And about the only way to reach that point is through trial and the odd error. Luckily this Brixton hat did not cost much so at least if you do deem it an 'error' then the lesson did not cost you much. Use this as a learning experience, discern what you like and what you dislike about this hat and move on......and next purchase you will know more and make a better choice....for you.

Thank you all for you kind words and advice. Yes, I'm new into hats and I'm not confident with them yet. I wanted wider brim as sun protection.

Your current Brixton serves well for sun production. If you like the hat wear it in good health. Most hat wearers find one they like the looks of that fits and they never think about it again. You may find that you are well served by your current hat for several years. Not everyone who wears a brimmed hat needs or wants to be as involved in hats as many of us here. The vast majority of hats sold today are not what we here focus on, but they generally serve their intended purposes. I’d give your current that some time and see how you like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB